PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: Astana Americans to merge with Slipstream

max_powers
07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
to create the Clean American Super team.

no inside info, Any others more in the know set me straight.

I Suppose LA can garner a title sponser himself, but the American aspect would require talent, being honed on Garmin now. Could be cost efficient to merge.

Taylor Phinney certainly has a future and needs a platform.

keevon
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
And who would head this Superteam? Vaughters? Bruyneel? Do you think Lance would ride for anyone other than Bruyneel? Do you think Vaughters would step aside after building the squad from almost nothing to a bona fide ProTour outfit?

Should Astana fold or restructure around Vinokourov, I think the more likely scenario is that Garmin would stay the same (and maybe take on a few Astana refugees) and the Bruyneel/Lance crew would form their own Pro Continental team under the Mellow Johnny's banner with Phinney as their top talent.

Besides, limiting your team to one nationality (Euskaltel) seems pretty short-sighted in today's truly international peloton.

cody.wms
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Taylor Phinney certainly has a future and needs a platform.

Phinney consciously chose to leave Slipstream and join Trek/Livestrong.

Also, Columbia is as clean as Slipstream and wins races.

just sayin'

EDIT: things to keep in mind:

1. Phinney had offers from both teams.
2. Herbalife wouldnt sign on as second sponsor absent the Contador transfer. They didnt have the cash to sign him absent the Herbalife deal. I dont see them having any cash to sign anyone of measure.

rwsaunders
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Obama was in Russia today and signed an arms agreement....supposedly, Astana was included as part of the deal. Vino is being sent to the salt mines and Contador needs to post a TDF history, as there is a bounty on his head from the Medellin Cartel....rumors mind you. :cool:

Elefantino
07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Lance on a team run by Vaughters?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Apple/Livestrong.

Steve Jobs and Lance join forces to fight cancer.

iPods can be used as GPS cycling computers with a new app.

Dig it.

gman
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Lance on a team run by Vaughters?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Apple/Livestrong.

Steve Jobs and Lance join forces to fight cancer.

iPods can be used as GPS cycling computers with a new app.

Dig it.

Right on. (my version of "+1")

tylercheung
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
i actually use my iphone as i am too cheap to buy a cycling computer. (motion x gps app...). of course this was the app that told me i was riding 60 mph (3 versions ago...) but hey, not gonna argue w/ that :banana: