PDA

View Full Version : Btm Bracket threading

mnoble485
07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I am watching a bike on e bay that has an Italian bottom bracket. Being totally in the dark about such things I thought I could turn here for inlightenment. Any problems to look out for, will my stuff on my Lemond swap over,...You get the drift.

Thanks,
Mike

Dan Le foot
07-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I am watching a bike on e bay that has an Italian bottom bracket. Being totally in the dark about such things I thought I could turn here for inlightenment. Any problems to look out for, will my stuff on my Lemond swap over,...You get the drift.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike.
You will need a new bottom bracket is all. English thread
Dan

WadePatton
07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
seems to me he'd need an italian bb to install into the new frame as he's taking parts off the lemond.

tha's how i read it.

italian is the larger and second-most common bb threading. a fouled up american bb 1.37x24 tpi can usually be re-threaded out to the italian standard. eff that up and you're sol without a sleeve or new frame.

make any sense?

"italian" is simply the thread designation for the bb to thread into the frame. then match your spindle-length and crank interface--easy.

cadence90
07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Mike.
You will need a new bottom bracket is all. English thread
Dan
:confused:

Is Mike talking about the threading of the bottom bracket (English, Italian, old French) on the eBay bike, or the spindle type (in which case "Italian" would much more commonly be stated as ISO (Campagnolo))?

Perhaps I'm reading Mike's OP incorrectly, but I infer that he currently has a Lemond (with an English-threaded BB, I presume) and that he is interested in an eBay frame that has an Italian-threaded BB shell.

If this is indeed the case, and Mike wins the auction, he will NOT need an English-threaded BB.
First, he presumably already has one on his Lemond.
Second, the English-threaded BB will NOT fit the Italian-threaded BB shell frame.

If Mike wins the auction, he will need an Italian-threaded bottom bracket with the correct spindle type and length (JIS (Shimano square taper) or ISO (Campa square taper) or ISIS or OctaLink or...other) to fit his current crankset.

If the frame comes with the Italian-threaded BB, then the BB spindle, depending on type/length it is, may or may not fit Mike's current Lemond-mounted crankset.

ericspin
07-05-2009, 07:05 PM
:confused:

Is Mike talking about the threading of the bottom bracket (English, Italian, old French) on the eBay bike, or the spindle type (in which case "Italian" would much more commonly be stated as ISO (Campagnolo))?

Perhaps I'm reading Mike's OP incorrectly, but I infer that he currently has a Lemond (with an English-threaded BB, I presume) and that he is interested in an eBay frame that has an Italian-threaded BB shell.

If this is indeed the case, and Mike wins the auction, he will NOT need an English-threaded BB.
First, he presumably already has one on his Lemond.
Second, the English-threaded BB will NOT fit the Italian-threaded BB shell frame.

If Mike wins the auction, he will need an Italian-threaded bottom bracket with the correct spindle type and length (JIS (Shimano square taper) or ISO (Campa square taper) or ISIS or OctaLink or...other) to fit his current crankset.

If the frame comes with the Italian-threaded BB, then the BB spindle, depending on type/length it is, may or may not fit Mike's current Lemond-mounted crankset.

Think you covered all the bases.

mnoble485
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Being the ludite that I am concerning all things mech. and electrical I am more confused than ever. Bike I am looking at is Italian withaccording to seller a 70MM Italian size 36X24. Any problems.
Thanks
Mike

PS Eric, can you walk me through this?

cadence90
07-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Being the ludite that I am concerning all things mech. and electrical I am more confused than ever. Bike I am looking at is Italian withaccording to seller a 70MM Italian size 36X24. Any problems.
Thanks
Mike

PS Eric, can you walk me through this?
I'm not Eric, but...:

1. The frame in question has an Italian-threaded bottom bracket shell.
2. As such, the frame will only accept an Italian-threaded 70mm (width) x 36 mm x 24 T(hreads)P(er)I(nch) bottom bracket.
3. All current bottom brackets have Italian-threaded or English-threaded (French-threading is very rare) cups, lockrings, etc., which secure the bb to the frame (the bb shell).
4. OK, so now the bottom bracket is mounted to the frame, Italian-threaded with Italian-threaded, right?
5. Bottom brackets also have spindles, at each end of the bb, which secure the crankset to the bottom bracket itself.
6. These spindles are also defined by various types, and come in various lengths:
JIS = Shimano square taper x XYZmm.
ISO = Campagnolo square taper x XYZmm.
OctaLink = Shimano OctaLink
ISIS = ISIS
U-T = Campa Ultra-Torque.
Etc.
7. Therefore, the bike FRAME you are looking at will require an Italian-threaded bottom bracket, but the spindle type (and length (i.e. 102mm; 109mm; 111mm; etc.) will be determined by the crankset you currently have.
8. BB threading and spindle type have no relationship to each other: in other words, one can have an Italian-threaded ISO bottom bracket or an Italian-threaded JIS bottom bracket. Both types are made, to serve various frames and cranksets.

9. So, what kind of crankset do you currently have, on the Lemond?
10. Answer that, and we can then determine exactly which Italian-threaded bottom bracket you will need in order to mount your Lemond crankset onto the new (eBay) frame.

Here is Sheldon Brown on bottom brackets (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html).

I hope this helps. :)

thwart
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Too many cooks...

That said, if you win the auction, simply put you'll need to buy a new (or used, on eBay) bottom bracket that matches your current crank, but that is Italian threaded. LeMond bottom brackets are English threaded, so you can't use the one you have.

'Tis a bit confusing that the part of the frame you thread the bottom bracket part into is also called the 'bottom bracket'.

If you're using older stuff (9-spd Shimano for example) you may find it somewhat difficult to find this part (but still doable).

cadence90
07-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Too many cooks...

'Tis a bit confusing that the part of the frame you thread the bottom bracket part into is also called the 'bottom bracket'.
Let's not confuse the OP any further, then.

For the sake of accuracy, the part of the frame one threads the bottom bracket into is technically called the "bottom bracket shell".

dogdriver
07-05-2009, 08:51 PM
If you win the frame, take it to a good LBS with all of your current parts, a six pack of fine brew, and $25-50 (unless you want a really spiffy BB). I humbly predict that your problem will be no more.