PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1, sliding forward on saddle during TT

toaster
07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Contador and Menchov both have problems where every few seconds they're pushing themselves back on the saddle.

Several times during ProTour TT events other riders as well seem to do this. There must be something wrong, yet apparently it's not bothering the riders enough to find a solution. What do you think?

Tobias
07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
What do you think?Not sure, but think that because the UCI limits how far forward the saddle can be, some riders end up on the tip of the nose just to get forward in order to get low and still produce lots of power. Unfortunately that's got to be very uncomfortable which I expect occassionally forces them to slide back, particularly during the slower parts of the TT like when going uphill.

Karin Kirk
07-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I can't say for sure what's going on with the pros, but on my TT rig, the saddle is tilted ever so slightly down to go along with the acute angle in the hip joint. Because of that, and the fact that with my arms in the aero bars I'm not bracing against anything, I find myself sliding forward over time. Every so often I do a similar scooch move to keep myself on the saddle.

RPS
07-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Because of that, and the fact that with my arms in the aero bars I'm not bracing against anything, I find myself sliding forward over time. Do you ride with aero bars level or pointed slightly up? And have you tried both to see if it makes a difference? I'd guess being a diehard you probably ride like the pros.

Der_Kruscher
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Pretty sure they're sliding from the back of the saddle to the front (and then back) on purpose in an attempt to spread the workload out a little over various muscles. I move around on the saddle a bit on long climbs for the same reason.

Karin Kirk
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Do you ride with aero bars level or pointed slightly up? And have you tried both to see if it makes a difference? I'd guess being a diehard you probably ride like the pros.

My forearms are fairly level. The inching forward-scooching back cycle is not much of a concern, so I haven't tried to solve it.

FWIW, I've noticed the same phenomenon when really hammering in the drops. After a bit I find myself perched right on the front of the saddle. However it's easier to slide back into mid-saddle when using regular handlebars.

Kines
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Pretty sure they're sliding from the back of the saddle to the front (and then back) on purpose in an attempt to spread the workload out a little over various muscles. I move around on the saddle a bit on long climbs for the same reason.

My thoughts exactly. I used to do a lot of triathlon, and during the bike I moved back and forth a little bit depending on terrain and effort, as you said, to spread the workload. I've always assumed that's what the pros are doing, too, when you see them scootching back.

KN