PDA

View Full Version : Used Legend Ti bike

zray67
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I have been offered a used Legend Ti bike about 10 years old. My guess/opinion is that the frame has a lot of miles on it. Owner is vague on the mileage. The current groupo and other parts were upgraded in the last three or four years. The question is really about the frame. How long does a ti frame last? Do they go out of true? What questions should I ask the seller about the frame? Any advice or suggestions you might or could offer would be greatly appreciated.

David Kirk
07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
As long as it's not currently badly damaged you should be able to ride it for the rest of your life.

Enjoy the ride.

Dave

Pete Serotta
07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
as Sir Dave says...... :)

dave thompson
07-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Well-made Ti bikes (Serottas as an example) can generally be considered for lifetime ownership, barring accidents or mishaps.

Ken Robb
07-04-2009, 11:55 AM
and a wonderful ride it will be! :beer:

CNY rider
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I have been offered a used Legend Ti bike about 10 years old. My guess/opinion is that the frame has a lot of miles on it. Owner is vague on the mileage. The current groupo and other parts were upgraded in the last three or four years. The question is really about the frame. How long does a ti frame last? Do they go out of true? What questions should I ask the seller about the frame? Any advice or suggestions you might or could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Long after all of us and our descendants are gone, and earthworms and cockroaches are the top life forms on this planet, there will still be perfectly intact Ti bicycles.
My Legend will be one of them and some earthworm may sprout legs so he can ride it.........

Ahneida Ride
07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
BigMac (remember BigMac ?) claimed he had 60k or was it 80K on his Legend.

Said she rode just a well as the maiden voyage.

Gothard
07-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I now have 2 Legends, one ca.2001(pristine) and one 1994(tons of miles). Besides the geometry differences, both are sublime rides, and I can honestly not say one is better than the other. Both have a F1 fork, which is also a benchmark.

rdparadise
07-04-2009, 01:25 PM
A good Serotta Ti frame can last you a lifetime. Regardless of condition, it can be refinished by Serotta and look brand new.

Before committing, I would have the frame and fork inspected for hairline fractures or any damage to the tubing, welds, etc. Assuming there are no issues, I believe you can ride this bike happily ever after!

Good luck,

Bob

bfd
07-04-2009, 03:21 PM
My buddy recently purchased a 10+ year old Serotta Legend with Reynolds fork and CK headset for $600, GREAT DEAL!

Used ti are the best bargain around and should last as long as you live. Note, another buddy has a Merlin ti and his down tube developed a crack around the shifter boss. Sent it back to Litespeed and Voila, a new dt and headtube (went oversized to fit 1 1/8" headset). Therefore, have a LBS inspect it. Otherwise, if it hasn't been crashed, go for it!

DavidR
07-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I have an older one and its great! Like other have said it will not wear out.

chuckroast
07-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Add me to the list. I have a 1998 model that I bought used. It will outlast me and whoever buys it at my Estate Sale.

soulspinner
07-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Ran into a guy who said he has 100000 miles on his early 90s Spectrum. Saw the bike(he rode it into the bar, still afraid it coud be stolen). A friend of mine has a Merlin custom with over 40000 on it and its even cosmetically nice. I guess my last bike will be ti. :)

avalonracing
07-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Used Ti frames might be the best value in cycling. There aren't too many things in cycling that don't wear out.

csm
07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
the only thing to watch out for imho would be the geometry. it may be a custom build so make sure that there are no "odd" measurements cuz the previous owner had some quirky fit issues.

TimD
07-06-2009, 11:11 AM
You cannot see it in this image but just behind the statue are a couple of Ti frames from the 20th century :)

flydhest
07-06-2009, 12:15 PM
You cannot see it in this image but just behind the statue are a couple of Ti frames from the 20th century :)

Tim,
I went to school in Williamsburg, VA and actually got to ride the Ti bike that Thomas Jefferson used to commute to William and Mary on. Wooden wheels, of course, since aluminum bicycle wheels hadn't been developed yet, but the ride of Ti is so plush it didn't matter. Still like new. The only flaw is that it had the letters "T.J. and S.H." scratched into the chainstay.

Ahneida Ride
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Mr. Jefferson paid 10 Dollars for the bike too ! :p ;) :rolleyes: :beer:

toaster
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Mine's 7 years in service and over 30,000 miles. A Legend Ti will go down in history as one of the best investments in a bicycle frame.

Ray
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Long after all of us and our descendants are gone, and earthworms and cockroaches are the top life forms on this planet, there will still be perfectly intact Ti bicycles.
My Legend will be one of them and some earthworm may sprout legs so he can ride it.........
Yeah, but will it outlive Keith Richards? That is the true test. It is said that cockroaches and Keith are the only things that will survive nuclear holocaust.

-Ray

Johnny P
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I bought a used Serotta Ti frame on this forum in 2007. The frame was made in 1998. It fits me well and it's a great riding bike. If the bike fits, buy it.

Good luck,
JP