PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations?

xeladragon
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Gonna start building up a new road bike soon and I have a few options for tires (700x23 clincher):

1. Michelin Pro3 Race
2. Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX
3. Continental Grand Prix 4-Season
4. Continental Grand Prix 4000
5. Michelin Krylion Carbon
6. Vittoria Rubino Pro
7. Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

I currently have the Conti GP4000s on my fixie/ss, and they're great so far; just wondering if any of the above are better. Boston roads can be pretty sh*tty so durability is important to me... and good all-weather grip... and low rolling resistance. Thoughts? Thanks!

GuyGadois
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
run 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4-Season. That will get you a nicer ride than 23mm without much sacrafice.

-GG-

dekindy
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
The premiere 23 tire is the Continental.

If you want more width for a better ride go with the Michelin Carbon in 25 or the Vittoria OC Pave in 24. The Michelin is the most durable of the three that I mentioned. You might have to search to find the Pave black sidewall.

SoCalSteve
07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I have the Conti GP 4000 S on all my bikes. I find it to be the most durable and the nicest riding (for me)...

I think others would disagree.

Just sayin'

Steve

nahtnoj
07-02-2009, 10:51 AM
run 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4-Season. That will get you a nicer ride than 23mm without much sacrafice.

-GG-

+1. And on the mean streets of Boston, get 28s if they will fit. That is a high quality tire with very little weight penalty associated with the size bump.

Ken Robb
07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
if you search the archives here you will find LOTS of tire opinions.

sg8357
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
+1. And on the mean streets of Boston, get 28s if they will fit. That is a high quality tire with very little weight penalty associated with the size bump.

Which measure about 26mm, so they probably fit your bike.

The Vittoria Open flat master CX, is very low RR, meaning no flat protection.

http://velonews.com/article/12493

For the infamous Tour Magazine RR table, which more or less agrees
with the even more infamous Bicycle Quarterly results. :argue:

Scott G.
GranBois and ProRace2

dookie
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
The premiere 23 tire is the Continental.

no way. 320tpi open corsa for sure! and they do have a puncture protection belt: "New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight."

source. (http://vittoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9750&Itemid=116)

yes, contis are more durable (longer lasting, but not any more puncture resistant in my experience)...but that's *all* they have going for them, atmo. they ride like bricks.

but tires are like saddles...everybody likes something different and you can't tell 'em they're wrong (wait...didn't i just?). all i can say is, be sure to try the OCs. i've used a bunch of different tires and have standardized on the OC...they're on 4 bikes over here. that good.

Ozz
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I used a pair of GP 4000's as my winter / trainer tire and they are still going strong...the rear has kind of flat spot from the trainer, but no flats on the road. They still have plenty of tread left. Ride quality is OK to good.

I've had good luck with Michelin ProRace2....not tried teh PR3 yet. Really like the PR2 Limited Editions, but they are special event tires only....I'm lucky to get 700 miles out of a pair, and they flat easily.

I might give the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX II (320 TPI) a try on a new set of wheels I just picked up....."PezTech" said he liked them.

flydhest
07-02-2009, 01:24 PM
but tires are like saddles...

I think you mounted your tire in the wrong place . . .

zap
07-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Clinchers-Conti GP4000S-still riding 700x23c on our tandem.

Sandy
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Clinchers-Conti GP4000S-still riding 700x23c on our tandem.

Here is a deal you can't turn down. I have some new 700x25 Grand Prix 4000 tires with the black chile (not the S- don't think the 25 come in the S, at least they did not). I wll give you a pair of them for your tandem. Try them at a lower pressure and you will get a better ride, and the bike will be just as fast.

You are an excellent cyclist with lots of knowledge, but I have no clue why you ride a tandem with 700x23 tires.

Want to try the 700x25??

Clueless in Maryland

Sandy

Blue Jays
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
All of your choices are excellent high-quality tires for the most part.
I would gladly ride any...except for the Rubino Pro...which is a couple rungs lower on the quality ladder.

zap
07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Here is a deal you can't turn down. I have some new 700x25 Grand Prix 4000 tires with the black chile (not the S- don't think the 25 come in the S, at least they did not). I wll give you a pair of them for your tandem. Try them at a lower pressure and you will get a better ride, and the bike will be just as fast.

You are an excellent cyclist with lots of knowledge, but I have no clue why you ride a tandem with 700x23 tires.

Want to try the 700x25??

Clueless in Maryland

Sandy

Come out and ride with me and I'll tell you all about 23 v 25 and why we ride at 130psi too.

I'll take those tires. We are going on this tour up north and the roads are not so fine.

WadePatton
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
pump 'em up hard as rocks and they all feel the same.

or don't and enjoy. :fight:

Simon Q
07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
no way. 320tpi open corsa for sure! and they do have a puncture protection belt: "New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight."

source. (http://vittoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9750&Itemid=116)

yes, contis are more durable (longer lasting, but not any more puncture resistant in my experience)...but that's *all* they have going for them, atmo. they ride like bricks.

but tires are like saddles...everybody likes something different and you can't tell 'em they're wrong (wait...didn't i just?). all i can say is, be sure to try the OCs. i've used a bunch of different tires and have standardized on the OC...they're on 4 bikes over here. that good.

+ 1.

Yes, OCs are that good. I have Contis on commute bikes and during winter for their durability but for summer and events OC 320s are the only way to go. I have tried most of the top end tyres and I could not believe the ride of these tyres. Saving some watts in RR never hurts either...

fiamme red
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Challenge Fortes (300TPI casing) are on sale for $39:

http://www.renehersestore.com/servlet/the-182/Challenge-Forte-23mm-clincher/Detail

monkeywobble
07-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I've got GP4000s 700x23 on most of my bikes. As the other tires wear out I replace them with the GP4000's. A month or so ago bonktown had the 700x25's for half off so I picked up a few and have dropped a set of them on my normal commute bike.

So far I'm extremely happy with the GP4000. I've replaced Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks, GP 4-seasons, GP3000s and a few misc OEM tires. My first pair has a bit over 1000 miles and no flats or major nicks/cuts. Each tire a replace a tire it is the same story, good bye to the 1 or 2 flats a month I used to get. They feel at least as good on the road as anything else I've ever ridden.