PDA

View Full Version : New Lance Nike commercial

victoryfactory
07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
So there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6Gd2Cg4gc

Onno
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I saw this ad on TV yesterday. It's a very interesting piece of work. As a piece of film, it's amazing--powerful, moving, and effective. As advertising for Lance, it's very canny, taking on criticism head on, and daring you to insult cancer patients if you dare to doubt Lance's motives. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to disagree with the ad, that he's not really doing it all "for them", but for himself. It's unclear to me how his riding is actually helping the fight against cancer, rather than his own record of achievement. There's nothing wrong with the latter, of course, but wrapping it in the fight against cancer seems at least half disingenuous.

Still, you've got to take your hat off to folks who can make such a riveting commercial.

nahtnoj
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Anyone know the song that is playing in the background?

Auk
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Anyone know the song that is playing in the background?

Band: Mogwai
Song: Auto Rock
Album: Mr. Beast

rwsaunders
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
That he's alive, let alone has performed as a world class athlete is beyond me. If you don't believe that he's on a mission, try and listen to his message.

I saw him speak a few years ago in Pittsburgh, when he rode through town with a cancer related cycling group. I'm sure that he had better things to do that afernoon, but the 10,000 or so that came to PNC Park were left with the feeling that this guy considered himself lucky to be alive, and that he gave a damn about the other victims, survivors and caregivers that shared his experience.

Climb01742
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Still, you've got to take your hat off to folks who can make such a riveting commercial.

nike's long-time agency, weiden+kennedy.

nahtnoj
07-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Band: Mogwai
Song: Auto Rock
Album: Mr. Beast

Wow, thank you.

SoCalSteve
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I saw this ad on TV yesterday. It's a very interesting piece of work. As a piece of film, it's amazing--powerful, moving, and effective. As advertising for Lance, it's very canny, taking on criticism head on, and daring you to insult cancer patients if you dare to doubt Lance's motives. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to disagree with the ad, that he's not really doing it all "for them", but for himself. It's unclear to me how his riding is actually helping the fight against cancer, rather than his own record of achievement. There's nothing wrong with the latter, of course, but wrapping it in the fight against cancer seems at least half disingenuous.

Its bringing awareness and hope. By him racing in his LiveStrong jersey, its like bringing back the yellow wristband era all over again.

This can never be a bad thing.

And, it doesnt really matter what HIS motivations are, as long as it does good for cancer awareness, cancer funding, etc...

Just sayin'

Steve

Clydesdale
07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
But that's a great commercial.

jscottyk
07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm quoting a friend of mine from an e-mail exchange we had on the commercial this morning.

<snip>
I seriously don’t give a rat’s ass about what moves him or motivates him because I think his critics may not be far off base. That being said, I think that if there is someone who is sick out there and feels that they can’t go on and THIS ONE MINUTE is what moves them to walk again, swallow again, take another test, show up for another treatment and THEN believe that they can be something vital beyond treatment, I say Go, Dickhead, Go.
</snip>

I'll repeat for emphasis.

Go, Dickhead, Go

SleepyCyclist
07-02-2009, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtFixj0cWk&feature=related

love it - hilarious!

M