PDA

View Full Version : Can I just say this place is pretty great?

soupless
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking/semi-posting here for a couple of months, but the Serotta Forums have quickly become my favorite online bike resource.

This place is a bastion of collaboration and information sharing that's quite refreshing. Bicycles are discussed here on a much higher level than many other forum sites, and I think it's great.

So, thanks, really.

Have a nice evening.

P.S-If anyone ever needs help with anything in Chicago, let me know. I manage a shop here.

malcolm
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
What shop? I visit Chicago several times/year.

mgm777
07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Soupless,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for participating.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking/semi-posting here for a couple of months, but the Serotta Forums have quickly become my favorite online bike resource.

This place is a bastion of collaboration and information sharing that's quite refreshing. Bicycles are discussed here on a much higher level than many other forum sites, and I think it's great.

So, thanks, really.

Have a nice evening.

P.S-If anyone ever needs help with anything in Chicago, let me know. I manage a shop here.

I dont want to jinx it, but there is a possibility I may be working on a movie in Chicago for about 3-4 months, starting in August. If that happens, I'll definetly hit you up (if for nothing else than just places to ride and maybe we can get in a ride or two).

Thanks,

Steve

PS: Welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

soupless
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
What shop? I visit Chicago several times/year.

It's called On The Route Bicycles. Next time you're around give me a holler. I'll introduce you to the hamster wheel that is the Lakefront Path.

Nathanrtaylor
07-02-2009, 12:33 AM
I completely agree.

This is one of the first places I check in the morning and last in the evening.

The classifieds are always buzzing with great stuff, the dialogue is competent and civil, and you can't find this many professionals from the custom fabrication industry anywhere else.

Ray
07-02-2009, 04:58 AM

So, thanks, really.

Good timing on your part. You might have looked at it differently if you'd tuned in during or shortly after the election. Speaking as one of the culprits, things got pretty toxic around here for a while. But yeah, it's a great place to hang most of the time.

-Ray

palincss
07-02-2009, 06:59 AM
At least it was mostly confined to obviously (and clearly marked) off-topic postings, so if you wanted to avoid it, you could easily do so. That said, I'm immensely relieved that things have quieted down lately.

Ti Designs
07-02-2009, 08:21 AM

And yet they let me stay...

allegretto
07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
It's called On The Route Bicycles. Next time you're around give me a holler. I'll introduce you to the hamster wheel that is the Lakefront Path.

since you're a Trek dealer i'd like to make a comment;

before i just went silly and got my Meivici i considered TREK since many told me they make very solid off-the-rack bikes, and here in USA.

however when i looked at the Madone hi-ends, they were ALL such signboards for BONTRAGER that i was very turned off.

what's with that? are they thinking of coming out with a bit scaled down graphics for this guy?

TAW
07-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Welcome to the forum. It is a great place, and we'll appreciate having
you join in. Hope that your shop is successful as well.

jlwdm
07-02-2009, 09:11 AM
when i looked at the Madone hi-ends, they were ALL such signboards for BONTRAGER that i was very turned off.

what's with that? are they thinking of coming out with a bit scaled down graphics for this guy?

The Serotta forum and its members are a small, small % of the bike community - riders who are into bikes and riding. Lots of riders who like steel bikes and alloy components and open pro wheels.

This forum is not the real world. I like things that are not the same as everybody else has, but the masses are scooping up Treks, Specializeds, Cannondales and other brands that are all carbon with lots of carbon components and flashy paint jobs with big decals. I think a lot of the young rider's likes these large decals and thats why the companies keep putting them on and getting lots of advertising. Trek might as well promote its Bontrager brand.

Jeff

konstantkarma
07-02-2009, 09:51 AM

No thanks to me! :D

Welcome!

rwsaunders
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Richard Nixon got a bum deal, Ray. :cool:

tv_vt
07-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Ditto to the original comment and sentiment. I'm totally addicted and really appreciate the daily digressions. You just never know what kind of interesting things are going to pop up here. And there's always something in the Classifieds that gets my attention. Plus it's a great place to offer up things no longer in the rotation.

Thanks to Serotta.

Thom (still looking for that 60cm ti Serotta out there...)

nahtnoj
07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, you can say this place is great. And I will agree with you.

paczki
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
The Serotta forum and its members are a small, small % of the bike community - riders who are into bikes and riding. Lots of riders who like steel bikes and alloy components and open pro wheels.

This forum is not the real world. I like things that are not the same as everybody else has, but the masses are scooping up Treks, Specializeds, Cannondales and other brands that are all carbon with lots of carbon components and flashy paint jobs with big decals. I think a lot of the young rider's likes these large decals and thats why the companies keep putting them on and getting lots of advertising. Trek might as well promote its Bontrager brand.

Jeff

Uh, Serotta makes carbon bikes and we like them too.

And I like Trek. Great touring bike and an American company that brings very advanced tech to everyone.

Dekonick
07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Uh, Serotta makes carbon bikes and we like them too.

And I like Trek. Great touring bike and an American company that brings very advanced tech to everyone.

Yes - Serotta makes carbon bikes too. The difference (well - one of many) is that they own their own carbon production R&D facility. They also have a network of fitters to give you a better match than having you stand over a top tube and make sure your nuts clear... and can tune the bike to your ability and riding style. Serotta also stands by their bikes - the owners club is a fantastic crash protection program with a cool jersey to boot!

As far as factory bikes go - Serotta is one of (if not the) the best out there. While everyone seems to dig carbon, I still find I like Ti - and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better Ti bike than the Legend (unless you count the Hors Categorie)

Steel as well - if you like tig'd. If I were buying a new steel, I would go custom with one of the former Serotta master builders (Kirk, Bedford...) DK has some of the sexiest fillet brazed frames this side of Neptune...

A great company. A company that has given much to the world of cycling - including allowing us to spew drivel here on the forum.

Thanks Ben!
:banana:

Ray
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Richard Nixon got a bum deal, Ray. :cool:
Yes, he did. But he EARNED it. You can't suck me in that easily. There have been political threads here lately but you haven't seen me in em much, if at all. When it comes around again and we have to choose again, I'll probably get wrapped up in it again. But until then, it's a lot healthier for me to just let em do their jobs and just chime in when something REALLY big goes down. Until then, you can just find me in Argentina trying to live to 100, like RPS's uncle.

-Ray

Tobias
07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Good timing on your part. You might have looked at it differently if you'd tuned in during or shortly after the election. Speaking as one of the culprits, things got pretty toxic around here for a while. But yeah, it's a great place to hang most of the time.

-Ray
Used to be? Are you freaking kidding? Just remember "revenge is a dish best served cold". ;)

If this were a war, we'd just be reloading. :beer:

paczki
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Where's Adam? :)

Tobias
07-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Bicycles are discussed here on a much higher level than many other forum sites, and I think it's great.
Agree. It is a very nice place to spend time.

CNY rider
07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
you can just find me in Argentina trying to ...........
-Ray

Governor?

Ray
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Used to be? Are you freaking kidding? Just remember "revenge is a dish best served cold". ;)

If this were a war, we'd just be reloading. :beer:
Good thing it's not. And you'll note I stayed MILES away from that gun thread. So YOU reload - I'm too busy sitting on the beach for a couple more days.

-Ray

Ray
07-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Governor?
Scuse me - did say Argentina? I meant Appalachian Trail.

-Ray