PDA

View Full Version : leap of faith.....

MtnBikerChk
07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
At least that's how my LBS described my next bike purchase......

I'm trying to decided between the Fierte TI, Fierte IT and Fierte Carbon. I consider my shop extremely knowledgeable and based on my answers to some questions, he suggested carbon. I said "how do I know I'll love it?"

He said "it's a leap of faith. And every one of my customers who have taken it, they are glad they did."

I'm really a mountain biker who rides on the road - ready to "leap" from an aluminum compact frame to something sexier :)

Thoughts? Opinions? Ti? Carbon? Little of both?

johnnymossville
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
At least that's how my LBS described my next bike purchase......

I'm trying to decided between the Fierte TI, Fierte IT and Fierte Carbon. I consider my shop extremely knowledgeable and based on my answers to some questions, he suggested carbon. I said "how do I know I'll love it?"

He said "it's a leap of faith. And every one of my customers who have taken it, they are glad they did."

I'm really a mountain biker who rides on the road - ready to "leap" from an aluminum compact frame to something sexier :)

Thoughts? Opinions? Ti? Carbon? Little of both?

Personally I find the mix of Carbon and Ti on Serottas to be a thing of beauty, but my opinion means nothing since it's your bike. Think it over hard and enjoy the process.

Oh, and post pics when you get your new bike. :)

bagochips3
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I would want to ride anything before I put down that much cash. I went into a Serotta dealer near me and they had 0 bikes on the floor. None. I asked how they sold any and the guy said people order custom. "Leap of faith" as you say. So I guess some people do it, but it's not for me. Another shop not so near to me had several Serottas on the floor and let me demo whatever fit me. I demoed a Fierte Steel (sweet), but ended up with a Fierte Ti. I never found an IT in my size to demo and the carbons weren't out yet back then (I'm not really a carbon guy anyway, so not a major loss). I'm really happy with my Fierte Ti.

MtnBikerChk
07-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh and did I mention that I'm 5'2" and I don't think ANYONE stocks a frame close to my size to try. My shop does have some other brands in carbon but ZERO in Ti.

Still searching...... :)

Pete Serotta
07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I would go see Lori at Signature Cycles in Greenwich and she will help you make the best choice...... For fit, service, and advice her, Soren, and Paul are first class.

MtnBikerChk
07-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I would go see Lori at Signature Cycles in Greenwich and she will help you make the best choice...... For fit, service, and advice her, Soren, and Paul are first class.

Thanks for the recommendation but I could never buy a bicycle from a shop 2 hours away - it just doesn't make sense.

Besides, I'm extremely happy with Gary at Pedal Power in Middletown.

What I need to find is somewhere to demo the frame materials! :bike: :D

ThomasAylesbury
07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I live in Longmeadow, MA. It is a 48 X 52. I'm 5'3". Just so you can see what a steel frame from Serotta rides like. I am just north of Hartford..

rphetteplace
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I know it's not your lbs but I was at Cronometro in Madison, WI and they have a year old 43cm Fierte steel that I think they're trying to move at a good price. :)

MMcG
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Take the poster in Longmeadow's offer to test ride that 48x52! :)

Ken Robb
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendation but I could never buy a bicycle from a shop 2 hours away - it just doesn't make sense.

Besides, I'm extremely happy with Gary at Pedal Power in Middletown.

What I need to find is somewhere to demo the frame materials! :bike: :D

would you feel right taking advantage of a dealer who stocks bikes for people to demo when you know you plan to buy from another shop that doesn't provide demos? What's 2 hours for such an important purchase?

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I would still call up Lori, explain your situation and see what happens ...

Lori is a great gal. Good shops try to help each other out.

I doubt that Lori would mind chatting with you.

Lori let me demo a Legend Ti at the Factory.

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Drive to the Factory ? It's not THAT far !!!! ;)

Karin Kirk
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
+1 on the advice to at least set up a phone call with Lori. She is about your same size and has probably ridden many of the models you are considering. Plus, she's knowledgeable, a very experienced cyclist and easy to talk to. I would not hesitate to drive 2 hours to have a consultation with her.

Personally, I don't think "leap of faith" is a valid sales technique. I'd rather have some solid info to go by.

Louis
07-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Personally, I don't think "leap of faith" is a valid sales technique. I'd rather have some solid info to go by.

I agree 100% - do your research. This is a big decision and you want to get it right. "Trust me" would not be enough to convince me.

MtnBikerChk
07-02-2009, 05:07 AM
I agree 100% - do your research. This is a big decision and you want to get it right. "Trust me" would not be enough to convince me.

I'm oversimplifying the converstation. It wasn't a sales tactic - it was a casual conversation.

No one is trying to convince me to buy without trying. They're actually checking with other customers to find frames in my size to demo. And yes, they stock demo bikes - but not in every size.

Ok, I will call Lori.

Thanks.

jlwdm
07-02-2009, 07:23 AM
When I ordered my Serotta two years ago I knew of the brand but not a lot of details about the brand. Now after spending some time on the forum almost every day for a year and a half I know a lot about the brand.

I also have learned tons of information on fit, components and where to find components. I have been looking for a stem for a new build (silver which makes it more fun) and it took a lot of searching on the internet but I have come up with some good options.

I was working with a fitter/bicycle guru who I had great faith in, and went to the shop and we talked about my needs and picked the bike and components in couple of days. I relied on his expertise although I did have certain component biases and price constraints. I did not demo any bikes - I ride a 63cm ctc with a shorter top tube.

Now with the much greater knowledge I have I think about how I could have been a lot more involved in the process. But after I think about it for a while I realize that it probably would have just delayed the decision making process and hurt the result.

It is related to how much you tell a small custom builder what to build. You should rely on the builder's knowledge and let him do his thing. Just let him know what you want.

I see too many people on this forum with a lot of knowledge constantly going through new bikes or new saddles or whatever. They never seem to be happy with what they get.

I ended up with carbon and ti and it has changed my biking life. I am perfectly pleased with what I got. I have ridden more miles, more often and so forth. The one problem I have is that after having been on this forum I think I need multiple bikes.

I guess I took a "leap of faith" and I am glad I did. I was very comfortable with who I took the leap with though.

Writing this just makes me want to go ride. I went for a 40 mile night ride last night (last hour in the dark) but I think I will head out for a quick ride before work.

Jeff

spb123
07-02-2009, 09:43 AM
When I ordered my Serotta two years ago I knew of the brand but not a lot of details about the brand. Now after spending some time on the forum almost every day for a year and a half I know a lot about the brand. D BAG

Louis
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
D BAG

***?

ald
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I also think it would be good to talk to Lori H. at Signature. She has forgotten more about bikes and Serottas than most of us will ever know. You'll get the straight story from her.

I applaud the fact that you want to buy from the dealer closest to you, but if you have doubts, you should ask them, "What if I don't like the bike after you've sold it to me?" The answer you get should help you decide to take the leap (or not).....

The other input I have is that the Ti, IT and Carbon Fiertes are all great riding bikes, and assuming you are properly fit, you would love any or all of them.

David