PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tour de France Team Leader

paulrad9
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I have never followed the tour seriously until this year, so excuse what is probably a trivial question. When Lance announced he was returning for the 2009 tour, he stated his goal was to win. If Alberto Contador is team leader, is Lance's role solely to support Alberto's win?

David Kirk
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
That, my friend, is the $64,000 question.

Who the hell knows.

dave

Kines
07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
If you go to velonews right now (Wed afternoon July 1), the top video on the home page is LA answering that question for you himself. Sorry I don't know how to link it directly, but it's called "LA talks Astana leadership".

Anyhooo, he says the same thing we armchair cyclists have been saying all along: we'll see.

KN

TAW
07-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Should be interesting to see if the coverage follows the leaders or Lance going back to the team car for water bottles. ;)

victoryfactory
07-01-2009, 03:02 PM
It has always been the same.
If a team has two (or more) GC contenders they play it like this.
Anything can happen in the race (like bad days, crashes, etc.)
The guy who has the better form will emerge. Or there will be some
big operatic fight so they can blame a failure on team discord.

It will start right from the opening TT in Monaco and come gradually into
focus with each stage as things develop. Relax, let it unfold naturally.
You don't need to know who's #1 before the start. Don't worry, be happy...

The TDF is the most compelling sporting event IMO

VF

MattTuck
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
In terms of competitive advantage, that kind of uncertainty can be very valuable.

Alpe d'huez last year, IIRC, cadel marked F. Schleck while Sastre went ahead to gain enough time to win.

johnnymossville
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I think all the weight is sitting squarely on AC's shoulders right now. Lance is comfy right now and wins whether he plays water boy, goes for it and loses, or goes for it and wins.

Personally I think Lance will play the faithful Domestique and just let things fall where they may.

Erik.Lazdins
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Mr. Bruyneel said that LA is the third rider behind Alberto Contador and Levi.

Who knows but I will be watching. It should be a great tour to watch.

Ventoux on the penultimate stage - pretty neat move by ASO in my opinion

dogdriver
07-01-2009, 04:49 PM
The opening TT will tell a little, the first mountain stage will tell a lot. Lance has successfully sandbagged in the past, and his pre-tour performances have never indicated that he was top dog.

My humble guess is that the team will support Contador thru the Pyranees, then, if LA and/or Levi are still in the running, Johann will let them duke it out in the Alps as long as they all podium...

Just guessing, Chris

XTC
07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
and all in HD for the first time....

gemship
07-01-2009, 08:03 PM
If you go to velonews right now (Wed afternoon July 1), the top video on the home page is LA answering that question for you himself. Sorry I don't know how to link it directly, but it's called "LA talks Astana leadership".

Anyhooo, he says the same thing we armchair cyclists have been saying all along: we'll see.

KN

I found that video. Fascinating to hear LA's take. He seems a bit ambivalent to say that he's playing second fiddle, nonetheless he admits that he has been away from the game long enough and has his doubts. It'll be interesting, I would like to see him win or even just make a podium finish.

regularguy412
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Mr. Bruyneel said that LA is the third rider behind Alberto Contador and Levi.

Who knows but I will be watching. It should be a great tour to watch.

Ventoux on the penultimate stage - pretty neat move by ASO in my opinion

+1

It may even turn out to be better than the 8-seconds TT battle between LeMond and Fignon.

Mike in AR:beer:

Elefantino
07-01-2009, 08:43 PM
If Alberto Contador is team leader, is Lance's role solely to support Alberto's win?
Yes.

And no.

soupless
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I think part of the answer lies in Chris Horner's omission from the Tour squad. Velo News mentioned that it removed the "three amigos" Aspen Training/Gila/Nevada City contingent from the team, thereby making it much harder for a resurgent Lance to get the support he needs from a Contador centered team.

Had Horner made the trip, it's plausible that Armstrong/Leipheimer/Horner could have done really what they wanted, regardless of Brunyeel's wishes or Contador's chances.

And let's not also forget the almighty dollar. Would it surprise anyone if those three couldn't find some support at key times from arrangement made among gentlemen of the road?

Needless to say, I cannot wait for the 2009 Tour. Gonna be great.

paulrad9
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Yes.

And no.
you're not helping ;)

Ray
07-02-2009, 04:50 AM
and all in HD for the first time....
Oh yeah? I hadn't heard. Are all the mobile cameras gonna be HD? I know it's been broadcast on Versus' HD channel for a year or two, but the broadcast was never actually HD. If it's real HD this year, it won't make the race any more exciting, but it will improve the scenery on the slow days.

-Ray

bostondrunk
07-02-2009, 07:13 AM
I'd love to see LA take it, but I think stage 7 is where we'll see the first signs that he's not up to the challenge...

victoryfactory
07-02-2009, 07:13 AM
I think part of the answer lies in Chris Horner's omission from the Tour squad. Velo News mentioned that it removed the "three amigos" Aspen Training/Gila/Nevada City contingent from the team, thereby making it much harder for a resurgent Lance to get the support he needs from a Contador centered team.

Had Horner made the trip, it's plausible that Armstrong/Leipheimer/Horner could have done really what they wanted, regardless of Brunyeel's wishes or Contador's chances.

I think you're on to something.
They let AC have one of "his guys" and left off one of "LA's guys"
That sort of says something, I'm not sure what. though.

VF

Lifelover
07-02-2009, 07:32 AM
LA, AC, LL or whoever! All I know is that I'm more pumped for this tour than I have been in many years! :banana: :banana:

For me the tour always kicks off with a bang. A small group of close friends always go out for a 55 mile morning ride followed by a small cook out and watching the opening TT!

sg8357
07-02-2009, 07:50 AM
If Alberto Contador is team leader, is Lance's role solely to support Alberto's win?

The plan is modeled on the LaVie Claire Team, who ever is ahead at the end of the first mountain stage becomes team leader, till the other guy can knock him off. Lance is Hinault, Contador is Lemond.

Or Fausto is played by Contador and Lance is Bartali, I like that one better.
See the 1949 TdF. Lance and Alberto crush the TdF together, sharing water bottles on the climb up Ventoux.

Dave B
07-02-2009, 08:06 AM
I think Johan will have Berto work more in the beginning saving Lance and Levi telling Berto he is saving them to help Berto in the mountains. All the while driving up the pace with his other goons. They wear Berto out a bit on the flat stages and use Levi and Kloden to help Lance in the mountains as Berto is "tired" or "sick" so Lance wins this year. Proving he was "clean" and then he starts his own team. Berto goes to another team next year where he will not be used like he was in this Tour.

He proves to the world he can win the Vuelta again this year and then on his new team does not have the muscle around him to win as many grand tours as he could have if he was under the "JB methods."

But what do I know. :D

johnnymossville
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I think Johan will have Berto work more in the beginning saving Lance and Levi telling Berto he is saving them to help Berto in the mountains. All the while driving up the pace with his other goons. They wear Berto out a bit on the flat stages and use Levi and Kloden to help Lance in the mountains as Berto is "tired" or "sick" so Lance wins this year. Proving he was "clean" and then he starts his own team. Berto goes to another team next year where he will not be used like he was in this Tour.

He proves to the world he can win the Vuelta again this year and then on his new team does not have the muscle around him to win as many grand tours as he could have if he was under the "JB methods."

Look at you! That's a really juicy scenario you've cooked up. I like! haha

Ti Designs
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
It may even turn out to be better than the 8-seconds TT battle between LeMond and Fignon.

They were on different teams. Try going back another 3 years...

Ti Designs
07-02-2009, 08:31 AM
For me the tour always kicks off with a bang. A small group of close friends always go out for a 55 mile morning ride followed by a small cook out and watching the opening TT!

Yeh, I do that too, 'cept for the part about watching the tour...

steampunk
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Should be interesting to see if the coverage follows the leaders or Lance going back to the team car for water bottles. ;)

i think if they use LA as a domestique it will be of the leg-wrecking kind up front.

cmg
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM

This looks like a believable scenerio.