PDA

View Full Version : Riding in NJ, PA or nearby

Beebohs
07-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Looking for recommendations for good road riding (few cars, good roads, hills) in the NY/PA area. I am trying to plan a guys road riding weekend and participants are coming from NYC, outside DC, CT and MA so we need a "central" location. We did the Delaware Water Gap last November and is was good, but hoping for a new venue. Perhaps renting a small cabin or house as opposed to hotels. (only 5 of us) Any forum info on Buck County, PA?

Richard
07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I suggest the Catskills. It puts the DC folk at a bit of a disadvantage, but should be good for the others. Riding is generally free of cars and can be beautiful (if it ever stops raining).

goonster
07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Any forum info on Buck County, PA?

New Hope should be a good base for one ride west and one ride northeast. There will be food, beer and bikers in the evenings.

Perhaps Ray can recommend a good base for Chester county, since he has proven to me that the riding down there is stupendous.

A Lancaster County circumnavigation would also be on my list, if I were looking for rides in the Keystone State, east of the Susquehanna.

EddieBirdsell
07-01-2009, 10:58 AM
+1 on New Hope, and also Lambertville, NJ, its sister city across the river. You can walk back and forth across the bridge between the two towns. Lambertville will have less of the Harley crowd, has fantastic restaurants, and good bars. There is a brewpub, Triumph, on the New Hope side, and more of a straight brewery (no food), Riverhorse, in Lambertville.

Riding to the north on the PA side of the river is fantastic. Point Pleasant, Frenchtown, etc. Either side of the river is great the further north you get. Be sure to check out Ship Inn in Milford, NJ, which was recommended to me by the forum and I have now hit up every time I'm in the general area.

EddieB

Blue Jays
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Lancaster County (pronounced LAN-caster, not lan-CAS-ter) is sweet for semi-rural riding.
They have tons of Bed & Breakfasts from which to choose.
Driving would be both easy and pleasant for the different participants you mentioned.

fiamme red
07-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Driving would be both easy and pleasant for the different participants you mentioned.Just watch out for the drunk drivers if you're passing through NJ.

PaMtbRider
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Lancaster County (pronounced LAN-caster, not lan-CAS-ter) is sweet for semi-rural riding.
They have tons of Bed & Breakfasts from which to choose.
Driving would be both easy and pleasant for the different participants you mentioned.
+1 for LAN-caster. Great road network and plenty of places to stay, drink and eat. A small selection of suggested routes can be found here: http://www.lancasterbikeclub.org/scenictours.php

nahtnoj
07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Lehigh Valley?

Allentown, PA is probably most central to all your buds, and the riding up there is great. You can go north for serious climbing, or stay local and enjoy rolling farmland as you dip south.

Otherwise, Lanc-ester (said it like that, very flat) County gets my vote.

katematt
07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Do a map my ride search for a practice loop in NW NJ for Hillier than Thou, it would be north of Lambertville, but may be rideable. Starts in/or around Spruce Run St. Park. Great course, steep hills and little traffic.

rdparadise
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I would opt to stay out of Bucks unless it the very upper portion. The roads are narrow and traffic is not great. Chester Cty, Berks and Lehigh Ctys are scenic with less traffic. I've lived in those areas so give me a shout if you want some advice.

I live in So. Jersey now so it's real nice riding down here. Salem and Cumberland Ctys are scenic, relatively flat and traffic is none existent outside of the few towns around.

Good luck, anywhere around here is good.

Bob

Ray
07-02-2009, 05:16 AM
As a resident of Chester County, I heartily recommend western Chester County and most of Lancaster County. Stay in West Chester or around Kennet Square and tell me how many days and what kind of mileage/difficulty you're looking for, and I'll point you to a bunch of rides on Bikely/map my ride/ridewithgps that will keep you busy and entertained. It's gorgeous country and it's easy to find roads with almost no traffic.

-Ray