PDA

View Full Version : Drunk drivers allowed to share the road??

Sandy
07-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Somewhat astonishing and scarey to think that you might be cycling and have to share the road with someone like this:

Morristown, New Jersey- A New Jersey man whose license had been suspended 78 times in 22 years, pleaded guilty to his 15th drunken driving offense. 40 year old Shaun Campbell's (of East Rutherford) blood alcohol level was .288, more than triple the state's legal limit, when he crashed his SUV head-on, in April, into a pickup truck. The occupants, a man and his 4 year old daughter were not seriously injured. He still faces drunken driving charges in two other New Jersey cities.

Think about it- License suspended 78 times in 22 years and 15 drunken driving offenses. How could the state possibly allow this guy to still drive? Prosecutors are seeking a 3 year sentence. He will lose his license for at least 10 years, per the AP story.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Sober Sandy

johnnymossville
07-01-2009, 07:53 AM
that is amazing. you'd think after 3 or 4 times they'd give up on the guy. sheesh.

thwart
07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
For anyone on this Forum:

Most likely way to die early... get hit by a drunk driver.

Most likely way for our kids to die early... get hit by a drunk driver.

It's up to all of us to change the way the law deals with driving impaired.

Other countries punish offenders much more severely than we do here.
That needs to change, IMHO.

Blue Jays
07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Apparently they are compassionate, inclusive, and practice broad driving diversity in New Jersey.
Perhaps to allow a wide assortment of unique motorists to utilize the roadway to illustrate their self-expression.

cmg
07-01-2009, 08:18 AM
"License suspended 78 times in 22 years and 15 drunken driving offenses" New Jersey is way to easy on drunk drivers. What great place to live.

nahtnoj
07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
NJ has the best transit system of any state in the country. I hope this guy spends the rest of his life using it.

MattTuck
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
The judges that allowed this guy to keep driving should be put in prison.

Insert disparaging NJ comment here.

True about other countries. If you have a DUI here, you CANNOT even ENTER Canada... drunk driving is a felony there.

The laws should change to reflect increasingly crowded roadways in this country. Any kind of imparied or distracted driving should carry signficant fines and/or jail-time. Including, drunk, high, eating while driving, texting or talking on the cell phone, reading the paper, etc.

The roads are public property, and driving on them is a privilege, not a right. People should conduct themselves with more respect and attention while driving.

Stepping down from soap box.

Dekonick
07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I believe in Norway it is a one strike rule. If you drink and drive, you lose your license for life.

Bruce K
07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
What the story doesn't tell us is if or how many times he got caught driving WHILE his license was suspended.

It is just as astonishing to me that people get stopped and go to court for driving while their license was suspended and they don't end up in jail.

In some cases, judges actually allow these knuckledraggers to drive to and from work so as not to "create a hardship". :crap: :crap: :crap:

Unreal !!!

BK

Sandy
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I also wonder how many times he drove when he was drunk and never got stopped.

Schlitz Sandy

johnnymossville
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I also wonder how many times he drove when he was drunk and never got stopped.

Schlitz Sandy

I would venture to guess every single time he got behind the wheel.

Sandy
07-01-2009, 09:51 AM
I would venture to guess every single time he got behind the wheel.

Unfortunately, not a bad guess.

Still Sober Sandy

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
you guys are just not compassionate ....

My suggestion is to send him up to Uncle William for a testing of
HandlBra treated rattan.

Crazy Chris
07-01-2009, 02:57 PM
One of Charles Dickens' characters stated it correctly: "The law are an ass."

djg
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Somewhat astonishing and scarey to think that you might be cycling and have to share the road with someone like this:

Morristown, New Jersey- A New Jersey man whose license had been suspended 78 times in 22 years, pleaded guilty to his 15th drunken driving offense. 40 year old Shaun Campbell's (of East Rutherford) blood alcohol level was .288, more than triple the state's legal limit, when he crashed his SUV head-on, in April, into a pickup truck. The occupants, a man and his 4 year old daughter were not seriously injured. He still faces drunken driving charges in two other New Jersey cities.

Think about it- License suspended 78 times in 22 years and 15 drunken driving offenses. How could the state possibly allow this guy to still drive? Prosecutors are seeking a 3 year sentence. He will lose his license for at least 10 years, per the AP story.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Sober Sandy

So his last trip through traffic court the judge was thinking . . . "you know what they say, the 78th time is the charm."

Or maybe not thinking so much at all.

soulspinner
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I remember in the 80s my brother got hit by a guy who had beer on his breath(daytime, no less) and after a prolonged discussion with the offender they let him leave the scene. Things have changed but not enough...

gemship
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
That's an amazing story and one for Guiness records, just silly. The drunk drivers that have never been popped can be just as scary. Society is so lenient about folks having a few and then driving home. Be careful and use lights when riding at night although I don't think that's enough it helps.

Erik.Lazdins
07-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Reading this thread and the recent bad incident in Tulsa where a drunkard drove over 3 cyclists killing 2, but fortunately sparing one reminds me:
1. to survive each ride - return to your family alive
2. the ride is my therapy
3. the ride is my workout and my thrill ride all in one
4. the ride is my time to fix all that ails me
5. the ride reminds me of the feelings I had as a kid when I first threw a leg over a bike

Live well and ride well brothers

sharkboyrob
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Left NYC and bought a home in NJ 3 yrs ago. We joked that we were "just visiting." Guess what, no joke. Bad drivers, bad roads, bad attitudes. We've had enough of not enough in NJ, and it looks like we're moving to the beach on LI. :banana:

jemoryl
07-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Cycling content: The place where he collided with the SUV was at Spring Valley Rd. and South St. in Morris Township. If you are from the area, you would recognize this as one of the more popular spots for cyclists in our part of the state (roads leading to the Great Swamp). We've got to be careful - I hope this guy never gets behind a wheel again.

Ozz
07-02-2009, 01:02 PM
just last night an "impaired" driver killed a cyclist here in Seattle....

Bicyclist killed in Hwy 99 crash in Seattle (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49659442.html)

Why the rider decided that was a good place to ride I'll never know.....interesting responses to the article.....varied as usual. :cool: