PDA

View Full Version : Help - Custom or Stock Frame?

xeladragon
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm in the market for my "first" road frame, and am looking at higher-end frames. (I say "first" because I currently ride a fixed gear/singlespeed that's essentially a road bike, just without the gears.) I'm looking for something I can ride fast, mainly for my 25-mi r/t commute to work, but something that's still comfortable enough for longer (50+ mi) weekend rides... basically, I'm looking for a good all-around frame. I've read on various forums that your first road bike shouldn't be custom since your riding style/position will probably change over time as you get in better shape, but for me, I'm not sure if that's necessarily true, since I'm already in pretty decent shape (I'm not looking to lose any weight; I could be a little more flexible but I'm not inflexible by any means; obviously, anyone's legs can always get stronger). I have a pretty proportional body so I don't NEED a custom geometry, but I like the idea of a frame built specifically for me that I won't "grow out of". If my "first" road frame isn't custom, I'll probably still get one eventually. Anyway, right now, I'm thinking either an Indy Fab or something along the lines of a Cervelo R3 or Specialized Tarmac. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

CNY rider
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Do you know your contact points well enough to shop for a used custom in the classifieds?

The deals on used (but still awesome) frames and bikes these days are hard to believe.

Pete Serotta
06-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Get sized first...There is a very good chance that a "standard" geo will fit you nicely. Once you know your size =top tube length especially, than down tube length(but quite a few bikes have a sloping down tube so that is not as important) and lastly, height of front end (ie drop between seat and bars).

There are many bikes out there that meet your needs, once you know measurements needed. Used market is pretty soft and the new market has many deals at the moment. Trek, Specialized, Giant make good products - if they fit.

Naturally I prefer SEROTTA (used, CDA, or Classique and very good rides.

Please feel free to continue asking questions, there are many with an indepth knowlege of bikes and dealers here at the forum. (where do you live)

PETE

palincss
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Get sized first...There is a very good chance that a "standard" geo will fit you nicely. Once you know your size =top tube length especially, than down tube length(but quite a few bikes have a sloping down tube so that is not as important) and lastly, height of front end (ie drop between seat and bars).

PETE

AFAIK other than recumbents, every bike has a sloping down tube. I think what you mean is size by top tube length first, then seat tube, lastly height of front end.

palincss
06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm in the market for my "first" road frame, and am looking at higher-end frames. (I say "first" because I currently ride a fixed gear/singlespeed that's essentially a road bike, just without the gears.) I'm looking for something I can ride fast, mainly for my 25-mi r/t commute to work, but something that's still comfortable enough for longer (50+ mi) weekend rides... basically, I'm looking for a good all-around frame.

What is an "all-around frame"?

Often here when you see "all-arounder" it means a bike that can fit wide tires and fenders, that will be at home on dirt roads as well as smooth pavement, and that can be fitted with racks for load carrying.

Such a bike would in fact be excellent for a 25 mi commute (no need to carry the load on your back, and if the weather turns bad you'll be well protected from road spray) and would be comfortable for long rides, but if you were looking for adjectives to describe it, "comfortable" and "versatile" would probably come before "fast". (Not that an all-arounder can't be fast, of course. That depends more on the engine than anything else.)

Pete Serotta
06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
thanks... that is what I meant :)

AFAIK other than recumbents, every bike has a sloping down tube. I think what you mean is size by top tube length first, then seat tube, lastly height of front end.

xeladragon
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
What is an "all-around frame"?

Often here when you see "all-arounder" it means a bike that can fit wide tires and fenders, that will be at home on dirt roads as well as smooth pavement, and that can be fitted with racks for load carrying.

Such a bike would in fact be excellent for a 25 mi commute (no need to carry the load on your back, and if the weather turns bad you'll be well protected from road spray) and would be comfortable for long rides, but if you were looking for adjectives to describe it, "comfortable" and "versatile" would probably come before "fast". (Not that an all-arounder can't be fast, of course. That depends more on the engine than anything else.)

By "all-around", I mean a bike that's well suited for sprinting, climbing, maybe an occasional race or two, short or long rides, etc., not necessarily something for crappy weather or carrying loads. I'm only a fair weather biker at the moment. :)

CNY_rider: I know the geometry of my current bikes (17"/M mtn hardtail and 54cm fixed/ss), and I know I want a more aero position on a road bike than I currently have on my fixed/ss (can probably be solved by a shorter headtube), but overall, no, I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to shop for a used custom (unless it was a really good deal that I couldn't pass it, then I'd take the risk).

Serotta_Pete: I live in Boston and frequent Wheelworks (Belmont and Somerville) the most. I'll definitely be seeking their advice once I'm ready to buy.

Pete Serotta
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
try as many test rides as possible when you are there....with a fixte of 54cm, I assume it has a 54 or 55cm effective tt. Based on this a 55 or 56cm would be a good range to demo. Then you can play with the stem length... range for most is a 100 to 120 (10 to 12) Yeah I know some racers use greater than this and some recreation rides use a 90 BUT this is the general "sweet spot" for tuning up or down as your requirements change.

You mention more aero so that means to me a straight back (as much as possible). Legend Ti is in that area and I would check with him. (send him a note),

Best of luck PETE

paczki
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Just go to Wheelworks and try a lot of bikes. I think they include a fitting with a new bike purchase.
There are a lot of frame builders in the area as well. Outside of IF, Seven, and Parlee there's also ANT and Igleheart and probably others I'm forgetting.

Hardlyrob
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
If you're already going to Wheelworks (in Belmont I assume), ask for Ed Sassler - he is very knowledgeable, and posts here frequently as Ti-Designs. If you search some of his posts, you will get a sense of his approach.

Cheers!

Rob

Hardlyrob
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Just go to Wheelworks and try a lot of bikes. I think they include a fitting with a new bike purchase.
There are a lot of frame builders in the area as well. Outside of IF, Seven, and Parlee there's also ANT and Igleheart and probably others I'm forgetting.
Of course there is Peter Mooney - the in-house builder at Wheelworks.

Dave
06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
The R3 would be low on my list. The short chainstays are a big negative. The two smallest sizes have real goofy geometry - no other brand has anything similar, for good reason, I'd say. I owned a 51cm R3 for 200 miles before tearing it down and selling the frame.

I agree with getting a fitting, but I would expect a really good fitter to not just give you one set position and claim that it's perfect for you. It's normal for riders to get into a lower, longer and perhaps further back position with more experience. The frame should allow for some changes in that direction. With that in mind, I would not go custom unless someone tells you that you have odd proportioning that warrants it. Save the custom for a few years down the road.

Peter P.
06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Definitely consider an Indy Fab Club Racer. It will do everything you listed you require. I recommend the Club Racer over the Cervelo or the Tarmac because you'll be able to wider fit tires more suited for commuting, yet you can strip the bike and put racing tires on it without any drawbacks in performance. The wider tires are key; 23mm tires with MAYBE a 25mm are a limiter on many if not most racing bikes such as the Cervelo and the Tarmac.

I've ridden a bike for decades that has similar features to the Club Racer and will attest to the fact that the geometry and dimensions can be ridden hard, fast, and far. It's the most versatile road bike around.

Since you live in the Boston area, you owe it to yourself to get a shop tour of the Indy Fab operation. Perhaps that will sell you on the Club Racer.