PDA

View Full Version : need to try something new, need help

bkboom123
06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Got a little side build that I want to start up here....

I have a carbon Lemond Zurich frameset in new condition

I have been on Shimano my entire 1-year of cycling and I am getting a bit antsy after reading too too many magazines each month. I am thinking about starting/trying something new. I am looking at Sram Force or Sram Red, or even a cheap level Campy group, just to try something new.

What do you guys consider the best bang for the buck, for a combination of new and very lightly used parts.....As well as performance, longevity, and ease of setup/maintenance.......i need some pros and cons of the groups listed! thanks :beer:

jlwdm
06-29-2009, 07:07 AM
First start searching the forum. There are lots of threads on the various groups.

They are all pretty good these days and you will find people raving about each one and complaining about each one.

The threads will help you pick the group that works best for you. The problem is which posts to believe.

I am a Campy guy myself.

Jeff

dekindy
06-29-2009, 07:22 AM
I have read all the posts and having ridden Shimano exclusively would go with SRAM Rival as the best bang for the buck. My hands are small so the smaller SRAM and Campy hoods would be a significant factor in my decision.

sg8357
06-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I think a carbon fixed gear would be fun.

Think how much road hugging weight you would save.

"Coasting is a pernicious habit" Sheldon Brown

Scott G.

CNY rider
06-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I have always been a Shimano guy. Lots of Ultegra/DA stuff.

Got my first Campy equipped bike 2 years ago. Mostly centaur level components.

I was a little crabby about the whole thing to begin with, not wanting to have to stock all the extra parts and tools associated with running the 2 dfifferent groups.
Now I have to say, I really enjoy the Campy and the front end of the Campy bike is the most comfortable for me.
I have small hands and the brake/shift lever feels much more natural than the big, bulbous Shimano levers.

You may want to give Campy a shot.

nahtnoj
06-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Are you comfortable with the shape of the 10 speed 6600/7800 hoods? I think the performance of all the current parts is so good that it should really come down to ergonomics.

Having spent some time on all three (the least on SRAM) I've found that I appreciate the flexibility of the Shimano hoods. Campy hoods are pretty single position (I have big hands) and SRAM is similar to Campy but a little wider.

Having said that, SRAM Rival is a pretty attractive value proposition, especially now that Shimano has jacked the price of Ultegra with the 6700 series.