PDA

View Full Version : Versus Lance Fest

dana_e
06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Hours and hours of Lance re-cap on Versus. Tivoed it. He did a nice Giro, Tour should be fun this year. Comments.

peanutgallery
06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Yawn, enough already.

Why can't he just buy and island and go away. Should be a good Tour but I am dreading the Lancefest. I might have to invest in a Chris Carmichael blocker, too. Thank god for the dvr

bluto
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Yawn, enough already.

Why can't he just buy and island and go away. Should be a good Tour but I am dreading the Lancefest. I might have to invest in a Chris Carmichael blocker, too. Thank god for the dvr

Hater.

You can't argue the fact that he brings (more) attention to the sport and is an inspiration to thousands. I don't understand the logic of someone who hates on a guy for bringing so much 'talent' to a race that, in turn, will not only raise the bar but raise the level of those competing against him.

onekgguy
06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Dumping on LA is the cool thing to do don't cha know? Nearly everybody's doing it. The real test is how many of those same people would say to LA's face what they write here? Not many I'm guessing.

The guy has done tons for raising awareness and money for cancer research and for creating an interest in all things cycling related. So he's got an attitude. Big deal. Don't watch him.

Kevin g

rnhood
06-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Yea, Lance could retire and live the rest of his life in carefree luxury. But he is not a deadbeat, and cares too much about contributing something meaningful to society. He's found a way to do it, and he does it with gusto.

I wish him the best and would love to see him on the podium next month.

peanutgallery
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Hater.

You can't argue the fact that he brings (more) attention to the sport and is an inspiration to thousands. I don't understand the logic of someone who hates on a guy for bringing so much 'talent' to a race that, in turn, will not only raise the bar but raise the level of those competing against him.

Yawn. Enough already

cmg
06-29-2009, 09:43 AM
don't think he'll make it to the podium next month but it will be interesting until he fades. then Versus will have a real problem, do they follow Lance or the one actually leading the race even if he's a non-american. Mont Ventoux as stage 20 will be remarkable none the less.

peanutgallery
06-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Yea, Lance could retire and live the rest of his life in carefree luxury. But he is not a deadbeat, and cares too much about contributing something meaningful to society. He's found a way to do it, and he does it with gusto.

I wish him the best and would love to see him on the podium next month.

Meaningful or feeding the ego? Hard to tell the difference sometimes.

dumbod
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
don't think he'll make it to the podium next month but it will be interesting until he fades. then Versus will have a real problem, do they follow Lance or the one actually leading the race even if he's a non-american. Mont Ventoux as stage 20 will be remarkable none the less.

Versus doesn't control the actual race coverage - they accept a broadcast feed from French TV.

As for Armstrong, I don't really care about him one way or another but I do get tired of the constant fawning coverage by Versus and others.

Tom Kellogg
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
because it ups their ratings and therefore their income. Simple as that.

I'd love to see Alberto, Levi or Cadel win, even Lance. As long as the racing is great. What I don't want to see or hear is that there are internal arguments going on inside those team buses. If Lance is the strongest on the team, so be it, but if Alberto is hot, ride like he!! for him. Nuff.

rounder
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I think Astana announced that alberto is their number one rider and lance is riding as their super domestique. Maybe it is a ruse and they really want everyone to believe that and focus on alberto and knock themselves out, or not, leaving lance to finish fresh and clear. Maybe the team will just wait to see how everyone is doing. Who knows. Love the tdf. Hope it's a great race and that lance gets inspired in the mountains and blows them all away.

bagochips3
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Alberto is #1. That's why Horner is not making the trip to France; Contrador picked one of his guys to go instead (smart move since Horner talked openly about riding for Lance).

I think/hope that Lance is riding because he really does want to help save lives. I think he may go for a stage victory on Mt. Ventoux if the opportunity arises (Contrador firmly in the lead, etc), but I think/hope that he will otherwise be a super domestique.

If Contrador falters, well, then we'll see. But that's a pretty big "if".

I'm weary of all the Lance stuff, too, but I think/hope that his motives are sincere.

In any case, if having to read about him 20 times a day helps someone with cancer, then I don't mind.

cadence90
06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
In La Gazzetta today (http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/29-06-2009/armstrong-doppia-strategia-50639749175.shtml) LA is quoted as saying, "Either I will win, or I'll help Contador out."

He goes on to say that the first few days will show who the leader is, and that if he does not feel he can win he will put himself at Alberto's service.
Hmmmm.

He says that "Alberto is the best climber in the world today, but sometimes he gets too nervous and restless."

He says he's done the best he can to prepare, and that while he may not "be assured of winning [as he was in other years]", he feels like he did in '03, when he inched Ullrich out.

Kind of a typical LA passo/aggro statement, strange imho to comment on Contador like that, etc. Typical.

I hope Contador or anybody else fries him.
I wish Basso were there, too.

Climb01742
06-30-2009, 04:39 AM
it certainly would have enlivened the racing if contador had gone to garmin. i would rather watch lance vs alberto as open competition rather than soap opera.

xjoex
06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
I will agree it has turned in to the all Lance channel, but hey he is way more interesting than most other riders.

And just look at this new Nike/Lance Advert. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6Gd2Cg4gc) Its rad.

-Joe

MattTuck
06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
it certainly would have enlivened the racing if contador had gone to garmin. i would rather watch lance vs alberto as open competition rather than soap opera.

Cycling has a storied history of intra-team competition (aka, soap opera). Why change now?

In some respects, the USPostal/Discovery dynasty was the exception in that it had a dominant team leader for so long.

nahtnoj
06-30-2009, 09:00 AM
In any case, if having to read about him 20 times a day helps someone with cancer, then I don't mind.

+1.

BigDaddySmooth
06-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Hinault-Lemond redux?

Go Contador!

bostondrunk
06-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Who cares which. It still makes the racing interesting, the sport more popular, and helps his cancer foundation raise money.
Is there really anything to complain about??

SoCalSteve
06-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Does the motivation REALLY matter as long as the outcome is positive?

And, LA outcomes are nothing short of 100% positive, whether its raising $$$ and awareness for cancer, supporting the cycling community in his hometown or winning the hardest race on the planet 7 times.

Just sayin'

Steve

e-RICHIE
06-30-2009, 10:51 AM

yeah - i paid too much for my car insurance atmo.

http://www.ziggity-spigot.com/gecko/geico-gecko.jpg

peanutgallery
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Does the motivation REALLY matter as long as the outcome is positive?

And, LA outcomes are nothing short of 100% positive, whether its raising $$$ and awareness for cancer, supporting the cycling community in his hometown or winning the hardest race on the planet 7 times.

Just sayin'

Steve

You said "positive". Nice

peanutgallery
06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Who cares which. It still makes the racing interesting, the sport more popular, and helps his cancer foundation raise money.

Yawn. Is it over yet?

cadence90
06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Dear mods,
:help:

We desperately need a "Yawn" emoticon, now, asap!

Best regards,
SickandTiredofLancebeingLanceaboutLance.

Polyglot
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I think Astana announced that alberto is their number one rider and lance is riding as their super domestique. Maybe it is a ruse and they really want everyone to believe that and focus on alberto and knock themselves out, or not, leaving lance to finish fresh and clear. Maybe the team will just wait to see how everyone is doing. Who knows. Love the tdf. Hope it's a great race and that lance gets inspired in the mountains and blows them all away.

That is why Lance was seen yesterday previewing the stage of July 19th accompanied by Bruyneel in the team car... Alberto nowhere to be seen.