PDA

View Full Version : Airline regs and BikePro Race Case?

sbornia
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Some of the recent threads about airline travel and bikes got me to check out Delta's latest policies, as I'll be flying to Europe with them later this year. It looks like on paper they no longer allow oversize bags that have a linear size of more than 80 inches (H+W+L).

My BikePro soft case is about 90 linear inches. I have flown with it several times before, though the last time was a couple years ago. I had to pay an extra fee, but was never denied permission to check it.

Has anyone flown with this case or one of similar size recently? Am I likely to have a real problem getting it on board? I had mentally prepared myself to pay a $225 fee each way ($50 for second bag, plus $175 for oversize) but now am concerned that they simply won't accept the bag at all.

Bruce K
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I've flown with my BikePro on Southwest without issues and plan to do so again in a few weeks on the way to CO for Copper Triangle.

I know Southwest is talking of adding some baggage fees later this year but I sure hope I don't have any problems.

BK

sbornia
06-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Bruce, here is SW's latest policy, which looks like it has some very new terms in it: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

kgreene10
06-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I just flew SW from Austin to Oakland with a Team Pro case (the generic hard case from Performance/Nashbar) and, as usual, it cost me $50 plus $12 for $1,200 of extra insurance. I fly from LAX to Austin on Monday and hope that the policy hasn't changed in this short interval.

Delta and international travel are likely to be very different beasts.

FBinNY
06-29-2009, 07:53 AM
I've never had an airline outright refuse an oversize case, except where it was physically impossible like on twin otters in the Carribean.

Double check with the airline about the specifics, and see if they'll email you a written confirmation of the policy. It's best to have a written copy since many of these policies are arbitrarilly applied by gate personel.

BTW- don't tell them there's a bike inside, that only makes things worse. I w s once harged twice for the same box, once for an oversize box, and again for the bike inside. The actual policy was the bike fee included the oversize box fee, since that's what it was all about in the first place, but it's hopeless arguing with staff at check-in.

Also since you're paying the fee, pack as much other stuff inside the case (staying within the weight limit) and try to get yourself down to it and a carry-on bag. Sometimes you'll do better if the bike is your only piece of checked luggage.

Bruce K
06-29-2009, 08:13 AM
It's always a little hard to "disguise" a bike box when it says BIKE PRO in huge white letters on it. :crap:

BK

sbornia
06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Since my original post, I checked Delta's policy in greater detail. Bikes are in fact allowed, but are charged a whopping $300 each way. My BikePro case is plain black, so I am going to try some deflective techniques to see if I can get it on board with just the extra bag fee ($50) or the oversize fee ($175). Per 11.4's suggestions in the United Airlines thread, I'll use vinyl spray paint and stencils to make the bag appear like it contains something else. If curbside check-in is available at 4:30am at SFO, I may also try that with a crisp $20 in hand.

Arnabio
07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
On the same note, I finally located a good website delineating the fees for all major domestic carriers:

http://www.realgeeksride.com/2009/04/15/cost-to-bring-your-bicycle-on-different-airlines/

Enjoy,

Aaron