PDA

View Full Version : What gives my new Dominators have no arch support?

Smiley
06-27-2009, 04:36 PM
So today I christened my new Sidi Dominator 5 MTB shoes. Fortunately I saved the inserts from my Specialed BG shoes cause after my ride today I swapped the inserts out and put the Specialized BG's in. When u pay big dinerao for Sidi's u'd expect some kind of arch support.
If the experiment works and I don't know how it can fail I am thinking of spluging for e-Soles. Anybody have any knowledge of using e-fits? Thanks

Ti Designs
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
When u pay big dinerao for Sidi's u'd expect some kind of arch support.

So you're saying that those with flat feet can't afford Sidi's??? It's easier to add arch support to match the riders foot than it is to work around built-in arch support for a foot without much of an arch. So Sidi builds a flat bottom shoe, and that blue insole is a total waste of time. Think of it as one more step in the direction of custom shoes.

pdbrye
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Sidi's stock blue insole is a joke, especially considering what you pay for the shoes. Try the Superfeet Grey insole, about 30 bucks I think. They've worked nicely for me...

gpw19
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I've been using e-soles for about a year and I have found the support to be excellent. My initial ride on them felt a little strange, but my foot quickly adjusted to the feeling, and now I can't see riding any other way. I've used the Specialized BG foot beds before which are definitely comfortable, but if you are after ultimate support spring for the E-soles, or you could buy a pair of Bontrager shoes as they all come with E-soles.

avalonracing
06-27-2009, 11:21 PM
One of the reasons that I like Sidi shoes (I have 7 wearable pair if you count my motorcycle boots) is because the arch isn't built up. I can wear the proper insole and custom fit them. I've tried other shoes with a little too much arch support and it is pretty much torture.

I don't have flat feet but I want my shoes to fit ME. Sidi allows that.

RABikes2
06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
or you could buy a pair of Bontrager shoes as they all come with E-soles.
Smiley, you've got a PM from me. As stated above, all Bontrager shoes come with E-soles.
RA ;)

Smiley
06-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Smiley, you've got a PM from me. As stated above, all Bontrager shoes come with E-soles.
RA ;)

Yes, Thanks for the PM I just did not like the Bontragers this time around. I will try the BG insert today and then go for the e-Fits and insert them in the shoe. Thanks

th_boone
06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Sidis have little to no support/contour at the foot contact level, just like lots of shoes. If you want/need support, take the pretty piece of foam out of the shoe (Sidi in this case) and put in some Superfeet. The grey or now Yellow? ones are designed for things like cycling shoes and hockey skates that have soles that do not flex.

If shoes came with good support via an insole, we would be both pigeonholed in consumer choices and would be paying a lot more $ for our shoes.

I use the superfeet and enjoy them... a lot. Good luck.

dogdriver
06-28-2009, 10:03 AM
I may be beating the horse, but bike shoe makers have to do the same thing as ski boot mfrs-- if they articulated the base of the shoe for those of us with high arches, they would exclude everyone else with flatter feet. Hence, the flattish footbed and the need to add a footbed that suits you. The right over the counter (many mentioned above) footbeds are great.You can go custom if the current economic crisis hasn't hit you too hard, but if your feet are comfortable with no numb/hot spots, I'd have a hard time justifying it. I used to work as a ski boot fitter in a previous life, and have several custom footbeds in the drawer (mostly foam/cork Superfeet products). A little grinding to fit into the smaller volume of the bike shoe, and these old ski footbeds work great in cycling applications.

Your results may vary... Chris

thejen12
06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Is this something new for Sidi? Because I switched from Sidi to Specialized because the arch in my Sidi was too high for me and I just couldn't stand to wear them. My Sidis would have been several years old by now.

Jenn

Ti Designs
06-28-2009, 06:29 PM
It's easier to add arch support to match the riders foot than it is to work around built-in arch support for a foot without much of an arch. So Sidi builds a flat bottom shoe

if they articulated the base of the shoe for those of us with high arches, they would exclude everyone else with flatter feet. Hence, the flattish footbed and the need to add a footbed that suits you.

In other words...