PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from a crash...

nahtnoj
06-27-2009, 01:34 PM
My sisters boyfriend went to South America for the summer. He left his IRO Jamie Roy at my parents house, along with his truck and 2 dozen chickens (long story).

We are the same size and I took the bike out for a 3 hour ride when I was visiting a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and a great workout. Terrain around here is pretty conducive to fixed riding.

Went out again earlier today. I was about 5 miles in and starting to get warmed up. Came to a little rise in the road and decided to stand on the pedals and really crank up. Unfortunately, the drive side pedal unclipped and I got tossed over the bars. Damage to the bike was limited to scuffed bar tape, but I broke my helmet and am going to have an epic bruise on my hip.

If I ride this thing again it is going to be with a new set of pedals.

Back to icing now...

SoCalSteve
06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Ouch!!!

Feel better!

Lots of ice and Ibupfrofin-Naproxen Sodium and Acetemetophin (sp).

Take it easy for a couple days!

Good luck,

Steve

Ti Designs
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
You left us hanging with the two dozen chickens...

thwart
06-27-2009, 03:53 PM
The chickens were payback for the ?#%^@!! pedals... ;)

Hope you heal fast.

Louis
06-27-2009, 03:53 PM
You left us hanging with the two dozen chickens...

Recently my chain has been making a cluck-cluck-clucking noise. Can't figure out how to fix it. :D

So what's your eggscuse for being such a poor sprinter? :D

It's really hot outside (high of 98* today) so I'm cooped up inside :D

Did you hear that Horner was left off Astana's rooster? :D

That's all I got for now...

mandasol
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Not to alarm you but head injuries are pretty serious. If you broke your helmet it was probably a harder hit to the head than you may think. For the first day or few days if you have any unusual signs you would be wise to get checked out quickly. Even if you are feeling fine you may still want to take some time off the bike.

By the way, a lot of helmet manufacturers have a crash policy. I had my Sweep R helmet replaced by Bell for less than thirty bucks after a crash.

Steve in SLO
06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Ouch!!!

Feel better!

Lots of ice and Ibupfrofin-Naproxen Sodium and Acetemetophin (sp).

Take it easy for a couple days!

Good luck,

Steve
+1 on the Anti-inflamms, add elevation, ice and stay away from a nice hot shower or bath or you hip will really be swollen.
I hope your recovery is swift.
Since laughter is the best medicine, put the chickens in the room with you and add a small kitten...

nahtnoj
06-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the support, guys, and Louis, the jokes! I'm going to be taking it very easy this coming week but hope to be riding some short and casual rides next weekend. We'll see how the stiffness plays out.

I hear the advice about head injuries. I feel nothing so far but will monitor myself carefully over the next few days.

Both sister and boyfriend are vet students. The chickens were some sort of research project that they got attached to. My parents have a farmette so they are well accommodated, much better than at his place in Ithaca I'd imagine. They have grown substantially in their time here, and taking them back may present a challenge.

Chickens and cats seem like they would be a funny combination, but in truth they are MEAN. The cats will not go near them, arched back, bushy tail, growling, etc - then run far, far away. When my mom goes in to feed them she gets pecked unless she throws some food off to the side to distract them.

PCR
06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Oh this is really bad. Where is Henny Youngman when you need him? :rolleyes: Hope you heal fast! :)

Recently my chain has been making a cluck-cluck-clucking noise. Can't figure out how to fix it. :D

So what's your eggscuse for being such a poor sprinter? :D

It's really hot outside (high of 98* today) so I'm cooped up inside :D

Did you hear that Horner was left off Astana's rooster? :D

That's all I got for now...[/QUOTE]

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2009, 07:31 AM
. . . I would Bawk! Bawk! Bawk! at any other request from you to borrow anything of his in the future.

BBD

csm
06-28-2009, 01:10 PM
am I the only one thinking chicken bbq?

MattTuck
06-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Feel better!

I crashed hard last year, and remember the pain I was in.

Speedy recovery!