PDA

View Full Version : Hip Flexor Flame

Velosmith
06-27-2009, 03:18 AM
OK, so I'm getting a little older (maybe more than a little) and I am running into a new body issue. I have been training pretty hard this year and have been working on seated climbs. At the peak of the season just when I am at my strongest suddenly I started have lower back issues bad enough to see a chiropractor.

He is a cyclist also and says it's fairly common. I have weak hip flexors and they are inflamed. He gave me some stretches and exercises. I have now been off the bike for a couple of weeks with a head/chest cold and they are starting to come back around.

My question is, what is your experience with this strange muscle imbalance? Are cyclist just freaks or is there something I can do long term to keep this from happening again. I hate, hate, hate static, routine exercising. That's why I started riding. I can't run any more because of knee surgery.

R2D2
06-27-2009, 05:09 AM
I hear ya.
Sometimes I hurt all over.
I coined the term Randomyalgia to describe the pain on long rides.
Sucks getting older.

But I only know the "ride thru the pain" method.
So maybe I can learn some new techniques too.

regularguy412
06-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I know you're trying to work on seated climbing, but stand, occasionally. I have a REALLY bad back; compression fracture of L3 from 25 yrs ago. I will never be 'well'. I, too, prefer to seated climbing. However, this year I've started trying to take some shorter climbs out of the saddle. I'm not saying attack the climb, just stand and climb rhythmically. My back pain never completely goes away, but this technique does seem to help me.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ozz
06-27-2009, 08:21 AM
don't forget to spend a little time post-ride stretching out your hip flexors, and everything else as well...hip flexors, hamstrings and IT band on key areas for me.

good luck!

HenryA
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I think that if your primary form of exercise is cycling and you ride to the exclusion of other forms of exercise you may be building an imbalance that creates the problems you are experiencing. So I'm guessing that your problems are caused by a lack of balanced core strength.

All the muscles that control your spine should be equally and fully engaged on a regular basis. If you exercise in ways that build some of those muscles and neglect others you're going to get the result you have now.

I suggest you find a good physical therapist, preferably one with experience working with cyclists, and have them evaluate your situation. You'll get some exercises to correct the imbalance found. You have to do these as directed to get results. (read that sentence over and over)

So you're going to spend some time and effort to fix your problem but the good news is that it is fixable and you will ride better than ever. And fixing your back now is lots better than after you wreck it further. Trust me on this - I wrecked mine and its been a long comeback. I further suggest that core strength and balance is something that all cyclists (even those not having back problems) investigate and work on.

Here is a great resource for back fitness:

http://www.backfitpro.com/
In particular the book, "Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance" by Dr. Stuart M. McGill. You pretty much have to buy from his website. I didn't find the book at the usual sources.

Good luck!

Velosmith
06-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Henry. I suspect your are right.

Ken Robb
06-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Pete Egoscu helped me with a similar problem. I think you can find his books/videos. OTOH, I have decided that it no longer makes sense for me to train like I did 20 years ago. There are no overall health benefits beyond more moderate exercise and I'm not training for competition so riding into the "pain zone" makes no sense for me.

KeithS
06-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I suggest you find a good physical therapist, preferably one with experience working with cyclists, and have them evaluate your situation. You'll get some exercises to correct the imbalance found. You have to do these as directed to get results. (read that sentence over and over)

I rode with knee pain, thought I was just going to have to live with it.

I got a referral to a PT, she is a cyclist and a very skilled therapist. My second visit I brought my bike in for a fitting. A bit of a tweak, mostly video so she knew what she was working with. I progressed quickly because I did the exercises as directed and I am now riding without pain for the first time in years. Knee is better, back is better.

Henry, you told my story.