PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott ST versus the CSi

Sandy
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Since I received my Ottrott ST in late November of last year, I have ridden my CSi for about 15-25 miles, whereas I have ridden my Ottrott about 6,000 miles. My Ottrott is in the shop because of a computer problem. Tomorrow I am going to ride my CSi over a route that I have ridden my Ottrott. It will not be a long ride, but will probably be 25-30 miles.

If there is any interest, I will give a direct comparison of the two, as fairly as I can.

Sandy

jerk
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
go for it bub.
jerk

Dekonick
01-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Sandy - come to Ellicott City - Ill ride w ya -(available on Wed) call my cell

Dek

Sandy
01-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I will call you tomorrow.

Sandy

Kevan
01-10-2005, 09:54 PM
have'm look for that "click" sound too! :D

CSI Las Vegas
CSI Miami
CSI New York
and now...
CSi Maryland

When does it all end?! :crap:

By the way... there's nothing wrong with that computer. If you know what I mean... :D

Kane
01-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Sandy,
That is a lot of miles. Are you down to 150 lbs yet? I am in the midst of a lot of rain here in No Cal and I haven't ridden my new Turner mtn bike in 3 weeks. The Xmas pounds are getting serious.

My ride on a non - ST Ottrot was 45 minute cruise around the upper end of the SF bike race course. I didn't have time to A/B the bike with anything else, but if felt like a nice bike that was very well mannered. Unlike the bike race route, I came down the Fillmore hill, instead of up the hill. Very, very slowly, the thought of a crash and my credit card gave me pause for thought. Best Wishes for the new year.

Kane

Larry
01-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Sandy,

Be really careful.......... Your CSi may have developed a real insecurity complex about the whole situation.
Not ridden since November?? She must be lonely......... and perhaps a bit rusty!!!!!!

(I will be interested to hear about your observations.)

Larry in Dallas :banana: :p :banana:

Kevin
01-11-2005, 05:27 AM
Sandy,

I have had the same experience. My Ottrott goes out in the sun, it takes long rides, it gets to play with the bikes of other club members. My CSi is stuck in the basement on the trainer. It only gets to go out when the Ottrott is in the shop. I sure hope that my CSi does not own a gun.

Kevin

Big Dan
01-11-2005, 07:15 AM
people..do the right thing...set those CSI's free....the road awaits..... :bike:

any of them 56???? :D

Korn Julio
01-11-2005, 01:45 PM
6,000 miles since Nov '04??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
I bow down to your superior greatness!!

Sandy
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
I received the bike in November of 2003, not 2004. I made a mistake.

So Sorry So Serotta Sandy

Dekonick
01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Sandy - why dont you have Smiley (or someone) build your CSI into a fixxie? or put a tripple on it and use it for hills... just make it a special purpose bike!

If you aren't careful you will find your CSI will run away....the need lots of attention.

hooverone
01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Were you able to take the comparison ride?

Sandy
01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I did the ride with my CSi on Tuesday. I am going to do it tomorrow on my Ottrott. I will post my impressions after the ride.

Silly Sandy

Kevan
01-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Inquiring minds want to know. :D

zap
01-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Did Sandy ride the just serviced Ottrott in the wet yesterday?

Or did CSI get the wet duty.

Inquiring minds need to know.

Sandy
01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I rode both and just tried to post my comparison on the thread, but I got some message about a data base error, so I am giving up until later.

Sandy

Sandy
01-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Bikes compared are the following:

a. 1998 Serotta CSi
b. 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST

a. 1998 Serotta CSi- 57 cm c-c, 57 cm top tube, oversized tubing, sta 73 degrees, hta 73.5 degrees, threaded 1 inch F1 fork with 4.3 cm rake, 7 cm bb drop, ht extension, 12 cm 105 degree stem, 44 cm c-c bar, Mavic Open Pro 32 hole rims, Vittoria Open Corsa EVO KX tires, Dura-Ace 9

b. 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST- 57 cm c-c, 2 degree downward sloping top tube, 57 cm horizontal top tube, firm flex tubing with oversized chain stays and less stiff of the two seat stay choices, 73 degree sta, 73 degree hta, threadless 1 1/8 inch F2 fork with 4.3 cm rake and 5.9 cm trail, 8 cm bb drop, ht extension, spacers, 11 cm 84 degree stem, 44 cm c-c bar, Nimble Spider rims- 28 f and 32 rear, Vittoria Open Corsa EVO KX tires, Dura-Ace 10

Although the bikes were set up reasonably close, the Ottrott fits better. This should be considered in interpreting the results.

Results:

Dura-Ace 9 versus Dura-Ace 10-

Most significant differences- Dura Ace 10 is much more comfortable. I prefer the ergonomics of the STI levers on the handlebar. The Dura-Ace 10 brakes are much more powerful.

CSi versus Ottrott ST- I found the Ottrott ST to be the clear winner-

Stability- All Serottas have inherent excellent stability. As remarkably stable as the CSi is, the Ottrott is simply more stable. It is easily the most stable bike that I have ridden in high speed descents. Neither bike exhibits the edginess or twitchy feeling found in some bikes. The most amazing difference in the 2 bikes is that the Ottrott seems very calm and relaxed in windy conditions that make me apprehensive on the CSi. Perhaps that is fit and better balance on the bike, but it is clearly there.

Road Feel- Equal, excellent for both

Road Compliancy- An edge to the Ottrott. Both are excellent on smoother roads. The Ottrott is a little better on roads that are somewhat harsh. The CSi give a sharper jolt (in a steel like way) over larger bumps.

Handling- The Ottrott is better. The CSi handles admirably. It does precisely what you want it to, in the fine tradition of a beautiful lugged steel frame- predictable, efficient, calm, and sure footed. The Ottrott does all that with a livelier feel. It simply feels as if it moves in a quicker manner, retaining all of the wonderful characteristics of the CSi. Point the Ottrott and presto it is there, but in a very controlled and easy manner.

Responsiveness to pedal input- The Ottrott is clearly the winner. The perceived feel is that the Ottrott is the lighter bike that accelerates quicker, maintaining a very lively feel that urges you to push harder than when on the CSi. It possesses a very efficient transfer of pedal input into forward motion, even better than the CSi, which is superior itself.

Conclusion- To Sandy, the Ottrott is the clear winner. It is simply more fun to ride. The CSi is stable, solid, very responsive to pedal input, and predictable and calm in its handling. The Ottrott is all of that. But it has a livelier feeling and a special flair that the CSi does not. It urges you to push a little harder, communicating that you will have more fun and possibly go faster doing it.

Sandy

weisan
01-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Sandy, thanks for posting such a thoughtful ride comparison report between your CSI and the Ottrott. I felt the same way towards my Ti bike compared to either steel or carbon. Also, I got the sense from reading your post that you would be extremely happy on either bike on any day. They are both GREAT bikes, just different. By God's blessings and the generosity of others, I've now got three different bikes that I can choose to ride anytime; One steel, one carbon, one Ti. My goal is not to choose one over the other because of apparent superiority but rather depending on whatever I fancy that particular day. They all ride and fit great, just different. I think I have pretty much finalize on my "bike-wardrobe" for the next couple of years. Hope I am not saying that too fast. But truthfully, I am contended at this moment and for some reason, I personally believe there is not much out there that will dramatically change the mix although I have not the privilege to try everything. I guess I am reaching the end of the rope, where the machine is perfect but the rider is not, and that's where I need to focus on going from here. :D

Enjoy your ride, and write often.

weisan

Sandy
01-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Very well said. I just hope that I can retain my excellent health for years to come so that I can enjoy riding my Serottas, maintain the wonderful friendships that I have acquired because of this forum, treat my wife, daughter, and her dog Darby, as they deserve, and be a better person to both people and dogs that I interact with.

We are both fortunate. Very fortunate. You are probably even more fortunate than me. I still have KEVAN to deal with.... My meds... oh where are my meds...I need lots of meds....lots of meds.... :) :D ;) ;)

Sandy

Climb01742
01-15-2005, 08:47 AM
wonderful, thoughtful review, sandy. thanks.

Larry
01-15-2005, 08:52 AM
The two forks.......F1 (CSi) and F2 (Ottrott) will make a significant difference
in performance. I know this, because I switched from an F1 to an Ouzo Pro on my Csi. The added weight of the F1 makes it a bit more sluggish when you initially accelerate. The Ouzo Pro is a sweeter ride, also. So........ you must consider that front end handling, steering, climbing, and other factors must be taken into account. ADVANTAGE F2 Fork.

Plus.......the component group on the Ottrott is more technologically advanced, and it is going to be lighter and more responsive.

It would seem that the CSi was "outgunned" from the start.
Be careful.......she is becoming insecure about her place in the stable.

The question remains: Is the expense of the Ottrott frame and fork worth the cost in performance??

Well........ over thousands of miles of yearly cycling.......... MAYBE.

Ozz
01-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I think it is great to have a choice between two such fine bikes! And, to have time to ride them....you are a lucky man indeed Mr. Speedy Serotta Sandy!!!

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks.

BTW - you forgot to mention that the CSI is a nice lugged bike and the Ottrott has to get by with tig welds...I suppose you have to join the tubes somehow! ;)

Larry
01-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Both frames are examples of the finest in the industry.
It is a pleasure to ride a Serotta..........period.
If I have the opportunity, I will buy another Serotta without hesitation.

Larry :banana: :D :bike:

zap
01-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Interesting, I would have thought both frames would have 8cm bb drop. Well, that could account for the fact that the Ott has greater stability.

What are the HA & SA on the Ottrott?

What stem and H-bars are on the bikes?

It would also be interesting to see if you will find increased stability with a 12 cm stem on the Ott. Maybe you can try it this summer when your faster yet.

Did you ever get dropout alignments checked on both bikes? It would be interesting to see how the forks compare. If interested, I have the tools.

Sandy
01-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Excellent points on both the forks and the Dura-Ace groups. Interestingly, I thought that the F1 fork was really a wonderful fork. When I went back to the CSi, I was very surprised that the front end seemed to wander for the first 50 meters or so, and then it took about 1/2 mile for it to seem like the CSi that I rode. The hand position on the bar seemed quite uncomfortable in the beginning and took a little more time to find it somewhat more comfortable.

When I went back to the Ottrott, the Ottrott's front end seemed to wander, but for only a few meters and then it seemed normal again.

The question you asked is most appropriate. Is the cost of the Ottrott frame and fork worth it? It obviously is a question that can only be answered by each person individually. I do feel, as I have stated in another thread, that the price for this year has reached a point that makes a yes answer tough to make. If I did not own one and had not ridden one, I personally would not buy it, at the price that it is being sold. After riding it for a reasonable number of miles, I think that it is really an extaordinary bicycle. It seems to possess it all in one package.

I am 64 years old and retired, with little expenses in my life. I have outlived my father and sister (in years). My mother, father, and sister all died from pancreatic cancer. So maybe it is a lot easier for me to have spent the money on the bike than for most. The three best purchases in my life have been the Ottrott, the CSi, and house in which I live. The CSi has given me much joy. So does the Ottrott.

Snail Slow Sandy

Sandy
01-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your kind comments.

S A N D Y

Sandy
01-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I forgot to put in the angles. The sta and hta are both 73 degrees. The 73 degree hta was determined by Kelly Bedford, with input from Smiley. The idea was to increase the trail and make the bike more stable.

A few years back, Serotta frames had 7 cm bb drops, but the change was made to 8 cm, which as you said, probably increases the stability.

The Ottrott has a Ritchey WCS 12 cm 84 degree stem and a Salsa Short and Shallow 44 cm c-c handlebar. The CSi has a Salsa 12 cm 105 degree stem and a TTT Forma (I think) 44 cm c-c handlebar.

I did have trouble with the F1 fork, and sent it back to Serotta. I think they corrected the dropouts if my memory is correct. Wheels did not sit evenly on both sides in the dropouts.

I might buy a 12 cm fork to try out next year.

Sandy

Larry
01-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Sandy,

On the other hand.......... this sport is your passion, like it is for all of us.
Why not push the limits for the very best in equipment?! There certainly is not anything quite like the ultimate ride, which the Ottrott definitely is!

I see many bikes, on a regular basis, that go through the racks at the Richardson Bike Mart. It is a cyclists candy store and heaven, and has many professional, high-end frames for sale. For our needs I think Serotta is still the way to go. Comfort, reliability, and performance......a Serotta has it all. And...... from examining the frames close up, the workmanship of a Serotta is absolutely FIRST CLASS.

Happy Cycling in 2005.

Larry in Dallas

vaxn8r
01-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Now a picture of each would be helpful.

I don't understand what you mean when you describe the Ottrott HT. Are you saying you have a virtual 57 cm TT with a 2 deg. rise? What's puzzling me is I thought you said the CSi was too big and didn't fit...the bikes seem to be pretty close to me. I'd be curious about HT lengths.

My theory on ride quality is not due to BB drop or fork choice. They're both good forks I doubt anyone could tell the the difference if they didn't know. It looks like you have a significant rise on the CSi stem. How many cm's of spacers and HT extensions on each bike? This is at the heart of the handling differences...though I could be wrong as I form a mental picture.

2 other points. Never discount the effects of carbon fiber. It's lighter and stiffer and transmits force into go. I know some people love the feel of steel. I do too. But bikes of CF go faster out of the gate and they go faster up hills. Generally speaking of course. The Ottrott wil be more comfortable in the long haul too. Stiffer, more efficient and still more comfortable. Hmmmm...

Secondly, DA 10. For everybody who thinks the DA 10 crank is simply a style statement, I think they simply have not tried it under race conditions. It plain works. It's the stiffest crank out there and it also translates input into go. I have had all kinds of equipment over the years and the DA 10 crank is a noticeable upgrade.

Basically what I'm saying is I bet you could duplicate your fit/feel between the two bikes but the CSi is what it is. Beautifully built and great feel and overall excellent bike. The Ottrott/DA 10 is going to be functionally better, aesthetics aside. No surprise to me.

Sandy
01-15-2005, 02:10 PM
The actual top tube is longer than 57 cm. If the top tube was horizontal (it is not because of the 2 degree slope), it would be 57 cm. I have a virtual 57 cm tt with a 2 degree rise. The bike was too small, not too large. As I starting riding more and more, I kept raising my saddle on the CSi. The saddle to handlebar drop got too large, so, with the help of Smiley, I started using positive rise stems (the bike originally came with a -17 degree stem. Now the CSi has a 12 cm Salsa 105 degree stem, with the quill at maximum height. I really need to go a little higher, but even I am having trouble considering a stem with an even longer quill.

The front end of the Ottrott was built to be higher than that of the CSi, by using a long ht extension and 4 cm of spacers. I now have 3 cm of spacers below the stem and 1 on top (in the Ottrott). I have flipped the stem to make it 84 degrees versus the original 96 degrees. I had 2 cm on top and 2 cm on the bottom. I am still experimenting a little with the Otrrott.

I have no pictures of either bike, but I will try to get some.

Sandy

Sandy

weisan
01-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Sandy, one thing I would suggest to you is take advantage of this time of the year and ride your CSI more. During this time, most of us are just building our base miles at relatively low intensity. And so for me, performance is the last thing in my mind. I could care less that my lugged steel weighs three pounds more than the Legend, or it's running on vintage 8-speed 105 components. Just take it out and ride will bring back some fond memories.

spiderman
01-15-2005, 08:44 PM
to accumulate those 6k miles...
...maybe just to be fair, sandy
you'll have to divide up the time
on the two bikes more equally.
although i rode my crl a couple weeks ago
when i had a flat on my ottrott
and 'the goat' ignored me for an entire week... :cool:
...that temperamental prima donna...

Sandy
01-16-2005, 07:00 AM
They are trying to talk me into making a fixed gear out of the CSi. I am afraid that I might hurt myself or my knees riding one. Sir Flydhest says that my fears are unfounded. If I don't start losing weight very soon, I might have to make a wheelbarrow out of it, so that I can fit on it, or should I say in it.

Sandy

weisan
01-16-2005, 07:12 AM
They are trying to talk me into making a fixed gear out of the CSi. I am afraid that I might hurt myself or my knees riding one. Sir Flydhest says that my fears are unfounded. If I don't start losing weight very soon, I might have to make a wheelbarrow out of it, so that I can fit on it, or should I say in it.

Sandy

Sandy-my-dear-friend, can I offer up my opinion, do you mind?

NO!
Don't do it!

:D

Let me explain. I was originally thinking of converting my italian lugged steel into a fixie but then later changed my mind. It's actually the right move. Why I say that?
Let's be honest here. The definition of a fixie for ordinary folks like us means a beater bike. Yes, I might be over-generalized here but in essence to me that's what it is. It's a workhorse to some, it's a fun ride to others. I think we belong to the latter. Let me tell you something. A CSI is NOT a beater bike, not by a million years!!! I came to the same conclusion with my Italian lugged steel as well.

If you want a fixie, go to eBay, get an old bike made in the 80s for less than a hundred bucks and convert it. You can even get a complete fixie for that amount. Now, remember, fixie is not about performance or aesthetic. It's about the discovery of a different style of riding, offering up a different perspective on the road and to the rider. And you don't need a fancy bike to achieve that aim. Nope, absolutely not.

Keep your CSI fully clothed. Let it hang with the complete DA kit in its full glory. NEVER NEVER NEVER let it go NAKED, just as you pay heed to Kevan's warning, not to go naked yourself. :D

Okay, I am done ranting now. Just my $0.000002 cents. Some might disagree, and that's perfectly ok. Sorry I need to get my kids ready for church, see ya in a couple of hours. ;)

weisan

Ray
01-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Sandy-my-dear-friend, can I offer up my opinion, do you mind?

NO!
Don't do it!

<much snippage>

If you want a fixie, go to eBay, get an old bike made in the 80s for less than a hundred bucks and convert it. You can even get a complete fixie for that amount. Now, remember, fixie is not about performance or aesthetic. It's about the discovery of a different style of riding, offering up a different perspective on the road and to the rider. And you don't need a fancy bike to achieve that aim. Nope, absolutely not.

weisan

Nothing wrong with having a nice fixed gear. I've been riding an old Japanese made Bianchi as a fixie for about seven years. I never much liked it as a road bike and it had horizontal dropouts and a higher than I like bottom bracket. So I figured I'd convert it and see if I liked fixed riding. Turns out I liked it a lot and I put a lot of miles on that bike. Until a few weeks ago.

At which point I was facing the horrible dilemna of what bike to get rid of to make room for the ti Spectrum I'm expecting next month sometime. Not a financial issue - I just don't like having more than six bikes because something always gets left out and doesn't get ridden. And my wife starts to notice that I have a lot of bikes :). I had a second Rivendell that wasn't getting many miles, and it seemed like the logical choice to sell. But I liked it a lot and couldn't bring myself to sell it. It has horizontal dropouts, so I decided to convert it to a fixed and see how I liked it. I friggin' LOVE it. It rides so much better than the Bianchi ever did, just like it did with gears. So now that's my fixed gear. Beater bike? Hell no. Great bike whether with one gear or 20, fixed or free. So the Riv stays and the Bianchi goes.

So if you really like your CSI but you don't ride it because you like the Ottrott more, why not try it as a fixed? The worst thing that happens is you don't like it, you convert it back, sell the rear wheel and you're just out a few bucks. But if you like it, you could discover yet another serious addiction and you'd have a really nice bike on which to explore the depths of said addiction.

-Ray

weisan
01-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Excellent point, Ray. I agree with you totally. Whatever it is, a bike is meant to be ridden not just sitting in the garage.
And one more thing, part of the attraction of a fixie is simplicity.

weisan

Big Dan
01-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Sandy, I think if you take the CSI out a couple of times in a row you will feel much better about it. When I rotate my bikes I try to take them out at least
Sat/ Sun to get the comfort level back.
Both of your bikes are great bikes, so enjoy them and have fun.... :bike:

Sandy
01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Excellent point. I was really surprised at how odd the CSi felt when I first started riding it again. It does take some time to get used to the differences in the bike.

Too Big Sandy

slowgoing
01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I’m an Ottrott convert. Never tried one before a week ago, swore my steel Atlanta and CSI were the best riding bikes ever. But a few years old nos Ottrott came up for sale at a price I couldn’t resist. Non-st, green (like Ergott's), beautiful, perfect size and stiffness tubes. Built her up and took her for a few rides this past week. Wow. Better in every way that the Atlanta and CSI, although it gives up a tad in road feel. Greater response to pedal input, corners better, more stable, handles better at speed, smoother. I may have to have a steel sale because they aren’t going to be ridden much anymore.

dbrk
01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
... I may have to have a steel sale because they aren’t going to be ridden much anymore.

Funny, I have had just the opposite experience. (Other stuff was clipped because I am making no reference to the initial comparison, though I have ridden both Ottrott and CSi.) The more I ride the steel bikes, the less interested I am in the other materials and I'm lucky enough to have the chance to ride lots of different bikes. But that said, I think the materials are not anywhere as critical to the ride as the overall design and the bits, especially wheels and tires. Any material, even aluminum, can be made into a bike I can like enough to ride regularly.

But I will say this without the slightest reservation, 'cause I just said it two minutes ago: People like what they are used to _and_ they like "new" things. Both of these "extremes" create the majority of impressions about how bikes ride, imho.

I have very, very few bikes set up identically, be it in fit, design, or bits. Every bike gets ridden (at least some), every one does something differently. I keep the ones I truly love. I part with the others. I have no desire to own only one or ride only one way, and that includes fit and style. I try never to ride the same bike everyday for more than, say, two weeks because I don't want to get the idea "oh, this, this is PERFECT!" because there is more than one way to be perfectly happy on a bicycle.

dbrk

Larry
01-20-2006, 04:48 PM
.....And I really believe in ten or 15 years a beautifully-lugged steel
bike will continue to be even more distinctive and special......as opposed to a carbon, aluminum, or titanium Anywho's builder. They still look industrial to me, but..... I do like the ride of the Legend a bunch.

Larry

slowgoing
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey, think how much I'll like the Ottrott after I put a setback seatpost on it.

Fixed
01-20-2006, 07:26 PM
People like what they are used to _and_ they like "new" things. Both of these "extremes" create the majority of impressions about how bikes ride, imho.

dbrk
bro how true that is .....my body likes what it is used to cheers :beer:

gone
01-20-2006, 07:50 PM
I have very, very few bikes set up identically, be it in fit, design, or bits. Every bike gets ridden (at least some), every one does something differently. I keep the ones I truly love. I part with the others. I have no desire to own only one or ride only one way, and that includes fit and style. I try never to ride the same bike everyday for more than, say, two weeks because I don't want to get the idea "oh, this, this is PERFECT!" because there is more than one way to be perfectly happy on a bicycle.

dbrk

This captures my sentiment exactly. I've found over the years that if I have duplicates of anything one gets used, the other sits. I've let this guide my choice of bicycles, each is different and I love them all. The stable includes:

Serotta Legend ST
Serotta CII
Softride
Trek 5900

So I've got a Ti bike, a steel bike, a beam bike and a carbon bike. I ride them all regularly. I find that I go on "binges" where I'll ride the Softride e.g., for 4-5 days then the CII for a week then the Legend for a week, etc.

The one thing I've been pondering doing is I've got a Nishiki Olympic 12 that I bought new in '76 that I'm thinking about converting to a fixed gear. I currently use it when I ride rollers and think I'll get better use out of it as a fixed gear.

Greg

Serpico
01-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Sandy,

Thanks, great review--now I want an Ottrott (seriously :D ).

Keith A
01-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey Greg,

Your stable is close to the bikes I ride regularly: CSi, Legend Ti and a Trek 5500. I also have a couple older steel frames that I ride once in a while and I am finally building up Climb's fillet brazed CSi and can't wait to ride it.

Anyway back to the point of my post, I find that riding the variety of bikes really helps you see the differences between them and for me it makes me appreciate each bike for its good qualities. It is interesting that after riding one for several days, I look forward to riding one of the other ones. I truly feel fortunate to have this luxury in my life.

Thanks to all who have commented on their experiences. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

slowgoing
01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
This variety of bikes theme has me thinking. I build up my road bikes with the same parts, mostly by just taking them off one to put on the other. So they often provide a ride very close to the others. But I never intentionally build them up differently, mainly because I feel like I finally found the parts that I like so why use anything else.

But the funny part of it is that the bike I usually take out is the full suspension mountain bike even though it's heavy and slow with a heavy duty front shock and knobby tires that sing over 14 mph. And now that I think about it, the reason I ride it so often is because it provides a good change of pace from the road bikes that all feel basically the same.

djg
01-21-2006, 10:02 AM
people..do the right thing...set those CSI's free....the road awaits..... :bike:

any of them 56???? :D

Sorry, the one in my basement is a 55.

Actually, I did take it out for a spin yesterday.

Fixed
01-21-2006, 10:11 AM
bro they are both great just different make the most of each one . i.m.h.o. one is not a better bike than the other each one has it's place and time cheers :beer:

Serpico
02-06-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.hydromedia.com/serotta/read.php?f=1&i=63512&t=63512

Sandy
02-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I guess that the biggest difference between the CSi (I still think that is the CSI for several reasons) and the Ottrott is that you can buy the Ottrott, but no longer the CSI. However, you can buy the Coeur d'Acier in all steel and get very close to the CSI, except that it is tig welded, and with a slight difference in the seat tube, if I am correct in saying that.

Yep! The Ottrott is a CSI on Steroids.

It remains to be seen what the MeiVici is. Maybe a lighter Ottrott on Steroids, or maybe a wonderful carbon bike that simply rides differently than the Ottrott because it is all carbon.

But for now: OTTROTT- CSi ON STEROIDS!! MeiVici- To be determined.

Sandy

Larry
02-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Sandy,

I have seen several Ottrotts.
The CSi is aesthetically more striking to the eye. Look closely!!
The CSi is like a beautiful violin.
The Ottrott......I cannot call a cello......CSi on steroids!!!!

But.....the Ottrott must be functionally a bit better.

Larry in Dallas.

Rapid Tourist
02-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Sandy thanks for posting your thoughtful review. That is why I come here. I enjoy learning from the wisdom of others who love bikes as much as I do. THANKS :)