PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report - HED Ardennes

blschaefer1
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I picked up a new set of HED Ardnennes from forumite Bodid (a stand up guy, by the way) about six weeks ago and got real busy, so just had the chance today to throw a set of tires and a cassette on and take them out for an initial ride.

Wow, I think we have something here! Very impressed. They are light (1425g for the set on my scale), the hubs roll real smooth, and the wheels spin up fast, plenty stiff.

I gave up tubulars long ago, but the Conti GP4000s that I put on had a nice hummmmm to them as they rolled - reminded me of days past and these tires don't sound like that on other wheels.

I ran about 10% lower pressure that other wheels, per recommendations I have read. VERY supple ride quality.

I did need to spread the calipers a bit to accomodate the wider rim, and for the money HED should include rim strips (not easy to find wide ones, I ran 20mm and they seem to work well, any narrower and they would move around).

All in all, a great all around wheelset !!

Bruce K
06-25-2009, 03:12 AM
I have found that Velox cloth rim strips work perfectly in the Ardennes, Bastognes, C2 rim profiles. They have a little bit of "sticky" on the back so no danger of sliding.

BK

c77barlage
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I have also noticed the difference in sound that the Conti GP4000s create when mounted to a set of HED C2 profile rims, though I have the Bastognes. I wonder if this has something to do with the reduced air pressure in addition to the altered profile of the tire. I had a bear of a time mounting these tires to the rim. Luckily, I have not flatted since.

I'm also very happy with the ride quality and performance.

jjb
06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a set of Jet 6's and also find them to have a really great ride quality. I'm thinking about a set of Ardennes as some days you just don't want deep section wheels.

-jjb

wenjtu
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
James Huang use to work at my shop. both him and my shop owner loves the Ardennes.
Check out his review of the wheels on cyclingnews:
<http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/hed-ardennes-wheels

joes
06-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I have been riding a set of Ardennes for about a month and really like them. They replaced a set of Ksyirum SSCs that I broke a rear spoke on. I had been using 25mm GP 4000 on the Mavics however those tires rubbed the brakes, Campy Chorus, when mounted on the Ardennes. I installed an older set of 23mm Michelin pro2, with this combination my Ti Eriksen feels quit a bit smoother than with the Mavics. I did get the stallion build as I like a fairly stiff wheel. Anyway I have to agree that the Ardennes have a very nice ride quality, I'm considering a second set for my steel bike.