PDA

View Full Version : help me finish my ottrott

Climb01742
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
well, i jumped back in the pool. just ordered a new 05 ottrott. had an absolutely AWESOME talk with kelly. if there is a nicer, more knowledgeable, more patient person in the bike biz, i wanna meet them. i really think/hope/believe this ottrott will be da bomb. but here's where i need some help. how should i finish it? meaning: paint/no paint? which decals and where? usually i have a very clear idea of how i'd like a frame to look, but here, for some reason, i'm drawing a blank. so, any ideas? i'll be hanging DA10 on it, if that helps. all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. i'd really like to make it special. many thanks.

Len J
01-10-2005, 10:43 AM
well, i jumped back in the pool. just ordered a new 05 ottrott. had an absolutely AWESOME talk with kelly. if there is a nicer, more knowledgeable, more patient person in the bike biz, i wanna meet them. i really think/hope/believe this ottrott will be da bomb. but here's where i need some help. how should i finish it? meaning: paint/no paint? which decals and where? usually i have a very clear idea of how i'd like a frame to look, but here, for some reason, i'm drawing a blank. so, any ideas? i'll be hanging DA10 on it, if that helps. all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. i'd really like to make it special. many thanks.

What is your absolutly favorite color on a bike?

Did you order the ST?

Are you planning on painting the carbon to match, or leaving it either clearcoated or tinted? If you look at an Ottrott ST, you have carbon front back & Middle........thinking in terms of balancing twhatever you are doing with the carbon makes for some interesting combination.

I happen to like painted TI....as long as some of the Ti (chainstays) are unpainted. Do You?

Do you want a stealth Ottrott, or do you want to scream Ottrott......this may affect wheather or not you pint (disquise) the carbon?

This should be fun.

Len

slowgoing
01-10-2005, 10:46 AM
put the new forum sponsor logo on the top tube.

92degrees
01-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I ordered an '05 a couple of weeks ago. After sweating over the cosmetics for weeks, and spending tons of time in the paint shop application on Serotta's site, I ended up with no paint, no tinted CF, and very subtle decals. I've come to realize that I'm fickle and whatever I ordered for paint would leave me wanting something else down the road. It seemed wiser to add color with bar tape or tires or seat. Just my .02

dirtdigger88
01-10-2005, 11:04 AM
climb- don't do this to yourself- no matter what someone will not like what you decide- do what YOU want- then post pix when finished- You are just asking for serious headaches this way. BUT- I will say the new Thomson stems are to die for

Jason

Climb01742
01-10-2005, 11:05 AM
len,
kelly and i talked, and he convinced me to go for the ST. i guess i'm naturally more of a stealth, less is more person...but maybe i should/could break out of my rut/box. i could see going totally unpainted, reverse decal, stealth or some screaming paint...either would be cool. does that help?

dave thompson
01-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I took the same road as 92degrees on my Ottrott: basic Ti/natural carbon and let the bartape and wheels provide the accents.

Bradford
01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
First, I'd love to hear what Kelly said in favor of the ST. With all the information and misinformation on carbon stays, I'd love to hear something from the source.

Second, I love the tinted carbon, (mostly because I hate black), so my vote is for one of the tints.

Third, my Legend has matt decals on polish, so if you need to see what that looks like in person, you can without too much effort.

davids
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Climb,

I'd either go very subtle - standard matte Ti finish, single charcoal/ti decal on the downtube - or paint the Ti only. Go with a light, vivid color to set off the black carbon tubes - pink, arancio, maybe white - with a matching downtube decal. The "Multi Ottrot" option on Serotta's website will let you play a bit.

I think finishing the Ottrot is challenging for two reasons. First, because painting the carbon leaves you with the unsightly joints where the carbon and Ti meet. These are not gorgeous lugs... But if you choose to leave the carbon unpainted, you've already got a visually busy bike. So keep it subtle, or use one vivid color to set off the carbon. Black and pink would be my suggestion!

Good luck, and have fun!

Kevan
01-10-2005, 11:44 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3205&page=1&pp=15

The green variety is out of this world. :D

John H.
01-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Polish- no paint. Clear (no-tint) carbon. Suble decals not under clear coat so you can remove or change 'em. No badge- decal on head tube.

hooverone
01-10-2005, 12:42 PM
here are my favorites

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4678&highlight=ottrott

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3417&highlight=ottrott

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1151&highlight=ottrott

92degrees
01-10-2005, 12:50 PM
all nice. remember this one:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4044&highlight=ottrott+sierra

need a homer simpson drooling icon...

Bruce K
01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Just don't make it look exactly like mine! :D

I am a big fan of polished Ti and clearcoat carbon with the color coming from the decals.

I also like the race look for the decal set (which is anything but subtle).

Blue and white are mu bike colors, but I really did love the USPS Masters red and white with the stars and all.

Maybe something a little personalized under the clearcoat might be fun. A meaningful saying, a good luck item, etc.

BK

Jeff N.
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
You know, it's gonna look BEAUTIFUL no matter what color/decal scheme you come up with. But if I ever got an Ottrott I'd go with clear coat on the carbon and natural(brushed) Ti elsewhere, with black/white outline decals or white/black outline decals. I would NEVER go with NO decals.....just doesn't look right at all.
My Chargers lost. On a lousy missed 39 yard field goal! I'm bummed. :crap: Jeff N.

Ozz
01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Go for a stealthy look:

Harlequin Clearcoat w/ no decals - something to look at but mysterious

Matt "serotta" decals on polished chain stays

Headtube badge

Just one of a zillion ways to go!

BTW - don't forget the pump peg! ;)

Len J
01-10-2005, 01:32 PM
len,
kelly and i talked, and he convinced me to go for the ST. i guess i'm naturally more of a stealth, less is more person...but maybe i should/could break out of my rut/box. i could see going totally unpainted, reverse decal, stealth or some screaming paint...either would be cool. does that help?

The most stealthy look would be painting the carbon so it looked like any other bike from a distance. In whatever paint scheme you like on another bike

Another stealthy option is what Spoke did with his:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1122

No Decals, reverse Mat serotta on seattube tinted tubes.......I can tell you it's a beautiful, but very subtle look.

You could paint the titanium the same color as the carbon so that you would have to look close to see that it was metal and Carbon (i.e. Black paint with clearcoated carbon, or blue with the blue tinted carbon stc.)

As to breaking out of your rut......now that would open up all kinds of options. First decide what you really want the bike to be. Then we can give you options.

I'm not a flashy guy, I have found that I want my bikes to reflect me, so I'm more comfortable with a subtle bike than a flashy one.....it's weird, but it's real. When I got my Ottrott ST off the Auction, the good news was that it was an absolutly perfect fit (including the tubeset), the bad news was it is a pretty "loud" frame...clear coated carbon with the Titanium painted 3/4 Competition Yellow.....all with red decals with a black outline. It's louder than I would ever choose myself. That being said, I do like it.......but I still am not totally comfortable with the color......I'm not sure it's "Me" (or whatever idea I have of me). I love the bike, I really do, but I have to still get used to the paint. Is this what you want?

It really is your bike.....make sure you love it.

Len

M_A_Martin
01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
You're drawing a blank because you've opened your mind to not being totally in control of your project. Embrace the OttRott!
You probably don't want to go full race decals, but a nice standard set of decals, no tints, head tube badge, matt decal on the chain stay.

Of course, if you were going to tint anything...the blue is sharp. :)

William
01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Climb,
You are stealthy.
You've stated many times on the forum of your love for stealthy looks.
You own stealthy equipment.
Stay true to your stealthy nature.
Stay stealthy.
Go stealthy.
Follow the stealthy Banana!!---->
(He is too ;) )

or not.

William :D

M_A_Martin
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I guess the other question we should ask is how long are you going to keep this one?

:) And will you launch it over the RR tracks this year at the Serotta Open House? (Those were fun weren't they!)

:fight:

William
01-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Then again,
You could let me go to town on it with my airbrush....or my sandblaster.:eek:

William :)

Matt Barkley
01-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Climb,
I long for an OTTROTTT like yours - probably no ST, but here is what I'd do: I like to keep with certain themes that can be justified (found appropriate) - Thus, I would go with those really nice dark electric blue decals with the high gloss carbon. Show off and be honest about what this bike is. The highest pefrormance "most sought after" and one of the highest priced.... Bling Bling. Go for competiton decal scheme. DA 10 with maybe an aftermarket crank keeping with the carbon/ti theme - carbon crank like the Deda or Looks are rare and really pretty - or mix in a specialties TA or PMP variation. Try out a Tiso Rear Derailleur with Blue hardware to match up with the blue decals. You sound locked into your H-bar choice - good..... if a Modolo or shallow drop - fine - go for a nice stem to match stella azzura or carbon WR Composite - or if you are not locked into a bar - try the Deda Alenara bar/stem combo - really nice carbon (though matte finish) but with blue decals. Real cool. Blue Stella Azzura Eleganza Faux-Stitched leather tape and an Arione silver/blue/balck saddle on a carbon seatpost (maybe a deda, or WR Composite.... Not to mention a comfy set of Alu rimmed Mavic Carbones. Oh, yeah. Blue Velolfex Paves if clincher... There you go!!!! Thanks fo the endulgence Climb. Have fun no matter what you go with! :beer: - Matt

Ti Designs
01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Go stealthy, but none of this half baked stuff. Matt Ti, carbon painted metalic silver, gloss silver decals - outline only. There's an Ottrott under there but 'ja gotta look for it. I have an IF mountain bike painted that way in metalflake black with gloss balck decals if you want to see how stealthy a bike can be...

Redturbo
01-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Think matte carbon tubes, limited white decals.

turbo

vaxn8r
01-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I like this bike: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2685

I'd probably do no carbon tint but I like the matte with polished decals and I like a HT badge.

ST? I thought you didn't like ST. Or was that someone else. It does "flex" a little on climbing, so you lose an ever so small amount of "ummph" IMO. If I did it, I'd probably not get ST. It would sure be nice if you could ride one with and without first....

jerk
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
climb-o-
why are you getting an ottrott? the jerk thought you didn't like your last one....would have seen your next serotta being some fillet brazed compact csi or something....pehaps a super light legend with super short chainstays and 650 wheels for your mount washington attempt but the jerk digresses...

you want to do this thing right? the jerk suggests you paint the ottrot. natural titanium is for old men and suckers.....race bikes are painted and should be if not garish at least striking so your sponsors get their tv time and the bicycle if not the rider is remembered....that being said the jerk thinks you should paint the whole thing....pearl white with blue decals.....paint the carbon too....get a white aliante saddle 'cause you like'em. put a bunch of pmp junk on it, dura-ace the rest of it, if you're really into it you'll have the jerk get you some custom ada wheels and we'll throw some dugast silks on the little basard and you'll never ride another bike again......

jerk
(the jerk just used "dura-ace" as a verb. please ban the jerk now.)

93legendti
01-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Just don't make it look exactly like mine! :D

I am a big fan of polished Ti and clearcoat carbon with the color coming from the decals...BK

That's how my Ottrott looks. I don't like painted ti.

"..old men and suckers..." That's hot. I wish I had thought of that. :rolleyes:

jerk
01-10-2005, 09:33 PM
never mind. your signature is fine. people who stifle serious academic discourse in your and the jerk's universities are fine. glad you like your natural ti bike....glad you read the jerk's post. it had nothing to do with you or your bike. the jerk was joking with his pal climb.

jerk

dave thompson
01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
natural titanium is for old men and suckers.....
jerk
Yeah, so? I'm old and my Ottrott's natural titanium. And your point is.......? :D

Climb01742
01-10-2005, 10:40 PM
wow. my head is swimming. thanks so much! i really appreciate the ideas, sincerely and honestly.

i have an IF CJ ti that i love...i can't imagine a ti frame i'd like any better...or be any lighter...so the ottrott...plus i do believe there could be magic to a ti+carbon frame done right...my first one simply wasn't...finally, i want to thank ben for this forum.

going into my talk with kelly, i was against the ST...but kelly convinced me...sadly, kelly and i talked about so much, i can't remember his exact rationale...but i do remember it was damned logical. :rolleyes:

i'm going to let your collective ideas percolate...i want something striking that i will love and keep...maybe go stealthy but in an original way...if a new one exists.

and sir jerk, i may well take you up on your PMP offer...i dig yours on your c50.

please keep the ideas coming...i am grateful...and brain dead in week 1 of a 4 week tv shoot. :crap:

slowgoing
01-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Why don't you just order the paint scheme I like so I'll be happy when you tire of it and sell it to me (cheap) in a few months?

Blue carbon, no decals on the carbon. The rest polished with grey or black letters.

jhurwitz
01-28-2005, 08:48 PM

CONGRATS. Regardless of how it will look you are going to love the ride. Bought an '04 Ottrott ST. Like you put much thought into it. Went with a compact frame, blue tint, red decals (with blackedge), Easton EC 90 bars and blacktape; Fizik Arionne saddle (with a red stripe- way cool) Bontrager Race X lite wheels (they are black with red accents). The bike is beautiful. Dealer called it sex on wheels. I have seen several Ottrotts and would not trade any for mine any. Have had it for 5 months and still love looking at it. The ride though is OUTSTANDING. I am a somewhat big rider/and weight lifter (6'1" and 195 lbs) and turned a Lemond Tete de Course into taffy (the mfg was baffled but ultimately concluded the frame was not stiff enough for me). Kelly said this would not be a prob for my Ottrott ST, and he has been right so far. No flex and superb ride and while the bike is heavier by about .5 lbs than my Tete de Course it is responsive. Good luck with yours.

JSH

ZippRider
01-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Working on an Ottrot ST for the wife for 05. :) :banana:
Polished Ti w/Blue Tint Carbon & Blue Decals
Dura-Ace 10 Spd
Black Tape
Easton Carbon Seat Post
Zipp 404 Wheelset :banana:
Zipp Carbon Stem

Bruce K
01-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Zipp;

My Otrott is similar - just claer carbon.

Definitely think about blue tape. There are several versions of Navy Blue tape out there. Royal isn't as nice (IMHO).

You will be surprised at how much different (and generally pleasing) it looks.

BK

saab2000
01-29-2005, 08:17 AM
My Merckx Majestic Ti is bare titanium. To quote noted cycle critic Nicole Richie, "That's hot"!

If I were getting an Ottrott I would leave the carbon weave visible.

I am still curious about the carbon stays. I am not a believer in most carbon stays, but I DO believe that the ST on Serottas are different than most. They are meant to have some small amount of flex in order to keep the rear wheel planted, if I am not mistaken. Anyway, it seems like a Ti stay with the same little pivots could do the same thing.

All that said, I am jealous of anyone who has an Ottrott. I do like the look of them as they look a bit like an updated version of the old Look or Vitus carbons, only orders of magnitude better.

I would leave the Ti brushed and the carbon bare if it were my bike. Then I would build it up with a record groupset with Neutron tubulars with Dugast or Veloflex tires. A Deda Newton stem with round Deda Newton bars. I would go with Time pedals and a Flite saddle. Cork tape would complete the bike.

ZippRider
01-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Bruce;

Thanks for the handlebar tape input.

What is your take on tires w/black tread & blue sidewalls? Most likely depends on the shade of blue?? Does anybody have any ideas??

Thanks, Zipp

Bruce K
01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Zipp;

Great minds think alike! :banana:

I have been riding Michelin Pros for a while now and really like them. They have the added benefit of a blue sidewall/tread that matches up with the blue/white decals very nicely.

If you look in the photo gallery for the thread Bruce K's Ottrott ST you will see the bike. I have since gone to the dark blue tape and like the look much better.

BK