PDA

View Full Version : Raam

BCS
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone following the race out there? With less than 500 miles to go, the leaders are in site each other. A good friend of mine is part of the crew of the current fifth place rider. I am in total awe of the people who can do this. ATMO, this is the hardest event in all of sports.

fiamme red
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Robic and Wyss went at it pretty hard from Blanchester, OH to Chillicothe, OH: 58 miles at an average speed of over 16.5 mph for both.

I believe that Wyss is technically ahead, because Robic has an hour of penalties that hasn't been factored in.

jlwdm
06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I just read that it may possible to schedule your rest to coincide with the place the penalty has to be taken and thus lose little if any time.

Jeff

fiamme red
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Both maintained about a 16.5 mph average in the 60 miles between Chillicothe and Athens. Only 445 miles to go!

fiamme red
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/blog/blogs/blog2.php/2009/06/24/champion-shuffle

"It is a game of chess."

Dustin
06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
ATMO, this is the hardest event in all of sports.

Seems like a tough call to me between RAAM and the Great Divide race (which is also going on as we speak):

http://tourdivide.org/

stuckey
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I did not expect Jure to be challenged this year but it is a nice change to see things tight at the end.

BCS
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Seems like a tough call to me between RAAM and the Great Divide race (which is also going on as we speak):

That looks insane as well. So does this (Tour de France in one continuous stage):
http://www.ltu-letourultime.nl/

nahtnoj
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM

I don't think it is a tough call at all. Mike Curiak did the GD in 16 days (2200 miles) with no support whatsoever. The fact that these RAAM guys have chase cars takes it down a notch IMHO.

Not that I'm physically capable of either, just sayin.

onekgguy
06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Any idea what the penalties are about?

Kevin g

stuckey
06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Any idea what the penalties are about?

Kevin g

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracerpen.php?s_N_Entry_ID=2563&s_N_Year_ID=2 Scroll down a touch there is a list and a explanation for each one.

goonster
06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
The fact that these RAAM guys have chase cars takes it down a notch IMHO.
Dunno about that.

The vehicles and crew are mandatory, and probably raise the difficulty of the overall endeavour. It's hella expensive for European riders to do RAAM.

GDR requires you to sign up, show up and ride. Nobody is there to penalize you for "inappropriate behavior".

RAAM requires rigorous qualification, 24hr support on the road, and they still have a very high DNF rate and guys ending up in the hospital. At least there are no bears.

Apples and oranges, really.

Onno
06-25-2009, 07:06 AM
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracerpen.php?s_N_Entry_ID=2563&s_N_Year_ID=2 Scroll down a touch there is a list and a explanation for each one.

The explanations need explanation.... passing at night on a freeway without using an exit ramp???

RAAM is a very difficult race to follow, I'm finding. Is there any media coverage, or reporting, of the race? The RAAM website gives lots of numbers, and lets you know who's winning, but it doesn't make following the race particularly compelling.

dekindy
06-25-2009, 07:39 AM
The explanations need explanation.... passing at night on a freeway without using an exit ramp???

RAAM is a very difficult race to follow, I'm finding. Is there any media coverage, or reporting, of the race? The RAAM website gives lots of numbers, and lets you know who's winning, but it doesn't make following the race particularly compelling.

I agree that it is difficult to follow. However, a little digging for information will yield answers. You just have to be patient and work the website.

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/resources/rules/2009Rules.pdf

Rule 645 covers interstates. Apparently he passed on an interstate.

645 – Interstates
The Race Route has less than 50 miles of interstate travel. Please use extreme caution on interstates.
The end of an exit ramp is generally considered where the exit ends. There may be a stop sign, a crossroad, a bridge, the beginning of an on-ramp back on the interstate. Use your best judgment. The idea is to be away from fast moving traffic exiting the interstate and in a safe place.

Passing where both Racers have Follow Vehicles directly behind them is not allowed. During daylight it is recommended that both Follow Vehicles proceed to the next exit so both Racers can proceed at their own pace. Under Night condition, passing may only take place at the end of exit ramps.
If you are being overtaken by another Racer, you must exit the interstate at the next exit ramp and allow the overtaking Racer to pass you. Exit ramps on the interstate are no more than 7 miles apart.

270 – Disqualification
The following are considered flagrant offenses and are grounds for immediate disqualification:
Behavior on the part of a Racer or Crew that is deemed inappropriate and that might cause safety, legal, or reputation problems for The Race or other Racers and their Crew.

1010 – Route Errors
If a Racer makes a wrong turn and rides off the course regardless of the reason, the Racer may safely and legally cycle or be driven back to the spot where the course deviation was made, then continue riding.

In Bicycle Dreams they show a piece of black tape on a highway guard rail to mark the point that a racer had to return to because he was put into a support vehicle and taken somewhere, I believe it was a hospital for tests.

nahtnoj
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Dunno about that.

The vehicles and crew are mandatory, and probably raise the difficulty of the overall endeavour. It's hella expensive for European riders to do RAAM.

GDR requires you to sign up, show up and ride. Nobody is there to penalize you for "inappropriate behavior".

RAAM requires rigorous qualification, 24hr support on the road, and they still have a very high DNF rate and guys ending up in the hospital. At least there are no bears.

Apples and oranges, really.

You are right, there is a lot more preparation (gear, not necessarily training) and cost associated with doing RAAM.

I'm thinking more in terms of consequences of a mistake. If something goes wrong in RAAM, there is a vehicle there, other people, and you are alongside a roadway. If something goes wrong in GDR, you are essentially on your own at the mercy of nature. To me, it is the unpredictability that takes GDR up a notch.

RABikes2
06-25-2009, 08:24 AM
I've been flipping back and forth between the two websites, RAAM and TourDivide, for almost two weeks now. Local Tallahassee buddy, Rick Ashton is participating in the Tour Divide, so it's been so cool listening to the rider's blog reports and also hearing Rick's voice in his reports.

Also, local and Atlanta randonneur friend, Kevin Kaiser is doing solo RAAM this year. He's doing unbelievable! According to the stats he's getting stronger each day and has moved up into 5th place!! Woohoo, Kevin! Kevin did a fixed gear team with Jeff Bauer in last year's RAAM. They completed the race going strong.

I crewed in 2005 for a solo competitor in RAAM. No experience with TD except watching and listening to Rick while preparing for his attempt. Both are very difficult races, they all get my respect for attempting the distances, difficulties, and mental preparation that goes into such efforts.

Better than any old TV show any time!

RA

sloji
06-25-2009, 08:40 AM
This is weird science at work as nerds on recumbents are winning the 4 man team division, they even kept their lead in the mountains! I read these bikes weigh 26lbs and have no fairings or power assist just some weekend warriors relaxing and getting a tan while chasing down the 8 man teams now...the horror!

Didn't think Robic could be beat and it's not over yet but...

RABikes2
06-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I've met two of the guys on the 4 man recumbent team and they are neither nerds nor weekend warriors, but extremely talented and accomplished athletes. There are a few others on the forum who know these guys and would say the same. You might already know that though, eh? ;)

goonster
06-25-2009, 09:01 AM
The 75+ team is amazing. That must be an average because Lee Mitchell is "only" 73, but Lew Meyer is 85 (!).

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
The 75+ team is amazing. That must be an average because Lee Mitchell is "only" 73, but Lew Meyer is 85 (!).That's an error. He's 75, a youngster in the 75+ category. :)

goonster
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Lew Meyer is 85 (!).
The RAAM website says that, but it can't be right. That would have made him the oldest PBP entrant in '07, and he wasn't. Still very impressive.

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Wyss just arrived at TS #48, 16 minutes behind Robic. Robic still needs to make up 44 minutes over the next 180 miles.

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
It's too bad about that hour of penalties. It would be great to see RAAM end in a sprint! :banana:

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Wyss is still 16 minutes behind Robic, with 131 miles to go. I don't think Robic will be able to make up the 44 minutes.

BCS
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Check this out. This poor guy has Schermer neck and concocted a head support frrom vertically mounted Aero Bars and maxipads

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Check this out. This poor guy has Schermer neck and concocted a head support frrom vertically mounted Aero Bars and maxipadsBetter view from the side:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/blog/blogs/blog2.php/2009/06/25/paul-danhaus-bike-modifications

goonster
06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
The duct tape and maxi pads aside, that's a custom Seven with lotsa spacers and a riser stem. Someone, somewhere might call that a 'faster backwards' bike. :rolleyes:

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
The duct tape and maxi pads aside, that's a custom Seven with lotsa spacers and a riser stem. Someone, somewhere might call that a 'faster backwards' bike. :rolleyes:Yes, according to them he should be riding a touring bike until he gets the flexibility to fit properly on a racing bike. :rolleyes:

By the way, he's 60 years old. :banana:

BCS
06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I plan on flipping my stem when I attempt another 1200K ride. Comfort trumps fashion during ultra events. IIRC, Kevin Kaiser is on a Brooks saddle

rdparadise
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Back in 2,000, I did a double century on a Brooks Swift/csi serotta. Just sayin. LOL.

The race does indeed look interesting and frankly unbelievably challenging. Glad to see there's actually a close competition for the winner. It will be
great to see who ends up winning.

Bob

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Back in 2,000, I did a double century on a Brooks Swift/csi serotta. Just sayin. LOL.

The race does indeed look interesting and frankly unbelievably challenging. Glad to see there's actually a close competition for the winner. It will be
great to see who ends up winning.

BobWyss will be the winner. There's no way for Robic to make up an hour in the remaining miles.

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
I miss Chew's Views. Is Danny no longer associated with RAAM?

Waldo
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
It's too bad about that hour of penalties. It would be great to see RAAM end in a sprint! :banana:

How did Robic amass his hour of penalties? Running stop signs/lights and such?

sloji
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Talk was he had to go and went...on the side of the road, but seriously there are very strict rules to the game.

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
How did Robic amass his hour of penalties? Running stop signs/lights and such?Here are his penalties:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracerpen.php?s_N_Entry_ID=2563&s_N_Year_ID=2

According to this report, the 30-minute penalty was due to over-reliance by his crew on GPS:

http://www.ultrarob.com/blog/2009/06/close-2009-solo-raam-race.php

Robic's latest time penalty was from taking the wrong route to time station 40. There was difference between the GPS file and the route book. RAAM rules state that the route book is the official route and GPS is only provided to assist crews.

If a racer goes off course, they must go back to where they went off course and continue riding the course. They can be shuttled back to that point by vehicle. Apparently it was quite a ways back to where Robic went off course and his crew chose to take a 30 minute penalty instead.

bironi
06-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Here are his penalties:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcracerpen.php?s_N_Entry_ID=2563&s_N_Year_ID=2

According to this report, the 30-minute penalty was due to over-reliance by his crew on GPS:

http://www.ultrarob.com/blog/2009/06/close-2009-solo-raam-race.php

Robic's latest time penalty was from taking the wrong route to time station 40. There was difference between the GPS file and the route book. RAAM rules state that the route book is the official route and GPS is only provided to assist crews.

If a racer goes off course, they must go back to where they went off course and continue riding the course. They can be shuttled back to that point by vehicle. Apparently it was quite a ways back to where Robic went off course and his crew chose to take a 30 minute penalty instead.

Tell me about his penalty for "inappropriate behavior at the start." Sounds juicy. :beer:

fiamme red
06-25-2009, 10:04 PM
From Robic's website:

http://www.jurerobic.net/index.php?id=303

Jure was the fastest cyclist on this years RAAM. On the last time check TS51, he came few minutes before Dani Wyss. Because of the penalties, issued controversially, because of the rules not aplied always in the same manner and because of not issuing penalties to others, Jure and his crew decided not to finish the race as 2nd, but step out of it on TS51.

Today it was written the history of RAAM. Jure and Dani staged the toughest fight ever and on the end the fastest didn't won.

Expect more in next days when we will be relaxing before traveling back home.

sloji
06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Robic should have stayed in the game to the end and crossed the line and then protested, he's bigger than this one finish and we all know the score. Dropping out to me was playing the wrong hand.

BCS
06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
***???
Finish the race.

RABikes2
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Whoa ... didn't expect that for the finish.

cadence90
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
..."I'm taking my mercenary uniform and I'm going home!!!" Bwa bwa bwa. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chapeau, as always, to fellow forum member sn69, who has finished RAAM twice, and always with class.

Tom
06-26-2009, 04:32 AM
You try riding that far and then come nobly across the line saying "Cheerio pip pip and all that".

He continues to do it his way. Personally, I would have left off the "I'm faster, they screwed me" part but I damn sure would have stepped off within sight of the finish.

goonster
06-26-2009, 06:54 AM
You try riding that far and then come nobly across the line saying "Cheerio pip pip and all that".
Doesn't matter. For Jure, RAAM is the stage upon which he wants to dominate and triumph. It would do him well to respect the event. This tarnishes his legacy.

Onno
06-26-2009, 07:13 AM

He continues to do it his way. Personally, I would have left off the "I'm faster, they screwed me" part but I damn sure would have stepped off within sight of the finish.

Really? You would have not finished just to stick it to the race organizers, and the actual winner? Jure's action seems really petulant and petty to me, though it's probably hard to think straight after about day 2 of the race.

fiamme red
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Really? You would have not finished just to stick it to the race organizers, and the actual winner? Jure's action seems really petulant and petty to me, though it's probably hard to think straight after about day 2 of the race.I blame the withdrawal on Robic's crew. He's hardly responsible for his actions at this point in the race.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?pagewanted=print

For Robic, his support crew serves as a second brain, consisting of a well-drilled cadre of a half-dozen fellow Slovene soldiers. It resembles other crews in that it feeds, hydrates, guides and motivates — but with an important distinction. The second brain, not Robic’s, is in charge.

‘‘By the third day, we are Jure’s software,’’ says Lt. Miran Stanovnik, Robic’s crew chief. ‘‘He is the hardware, going down the road.’’

His system is straightforward. During the race, Robic’s brain is allowed control over choice of music (usually a mix of traditional Slovene marches and Lenny Kravitz), food selection and bathroom breaks. The second brain dictates everything else, including rest times, meal times, food amounts and even average speed. Unless Robic asks, he is not informed of the remaining mileage or even how many days are left in the race.

‘‘It is best if he has no idea,’’ Stanovnik says. ‘‘He rides — that is all.’’

goonster
06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
choice of music (usually a mix of traditional Slovene marches and Lenny Kravitz)
Not sure why, but I think that's hilarious. :)

Onno
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
If RAAM has rules against pissing by the side of the road, one wonders how race organizers will respond to Jure's quitting the race a few miles from the finish as a protest. Ban him from the next race?

This is a seriously weird event, both in what it expects and demands of riders, and in attempting to do it solo (the team race seems appealing to me). The soloists remind me of Kafka's "The Hunger Artist." Is the race's weirdness why cyclingnews and velonews give it so little attention?

cadence90
06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Not sure why, but I think that's hilarious. :)
Agree completely.
Further evidence that the guy seriously needs a complete mental make-over and, most of all, a new crew, ASAP! :)

fiamme red
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Check this out. This poor guy has Schermer neck and concocted a head support frrom vertically mounted Aero Bars and maxipadsMore photos here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/blog/blogs/blog2.php/2009/06/26/finally-we-talk-with-paul-danhaus

goonster
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Is the race's weirdness why cyclingnews and velonews give it so little attention?
CN and VN cover sanctioned "mainstream" racing, and ultra racing has relatively little overlap with that world. Aside from the freak value of duct tape and maxi pads, etc., the target audience of folks who take this stuff seriously is basically limited to the mailing lists of PAC Tour, UMCA and RUSA.

fiamme red
06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.jurerobic.net/index.php?id=302

He should have finished first, challenged the penalties later.

cadence90
06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.jurerobic.net/index.php?id=302

He should have finished first, challenged the penalties later.
No kidding! That "Press release" is really lame.

Больной проигравший (OK, it's Babelfished Russian, not accurate Slovene...but, still...) = Sore loser. :no:

fiamme red
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
No kidding! That "Press release" is really lame.

Больной проигравший (OK, it's Babelfished Russian, not accurate Slovene...but, still...) = Sore loser. :no:I highly doubt that he wrote the press release himself. You can't blame him for the wording.

cadence90
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I highly doubt that he wrote the press release himself. You can't blame him for the wording.His name is on the bottom, it's on his website, therefore I take it that he approved it if he didn't write it.

In any case, I find it whiny, and "congratulatory" towards Wyss in a primarily self-serving manner.

As you yourself said, he should have finished the race, then filed the protest.
At worse, he would have had a completely honorable 2nd to go with his many 1sts...this way, he has a kind of tacky DNF, imo.

sn69
06-26-2009, 03:46 PM
His name is on the bottom, it's on his website, therefore I take it that he approved it if he didn't write it.

In any case, I find it whiny, and "congratulatory" towards Wyss in a primarily self-serving manner.

As you yourself said, he should have finished the race, then filed the protest.
At worse, he would have had a completely honorable 2nd to go with his many 1sts...this way, he has a kind of tacky DNF, imo.

I met him briefly during RAAM 06 at the pre-race reg, and he was nice enough, although a bit shy (not nearly as out-going as Tinker Juarez was/is). ...And in spite of his well-known penchant for nutbagish behavior during the race, his crew lived up to their reputation for being belligerent a-holes...right from the start. There's a long history of dysfunction with that team, including passive cheating and false accusations against other teams. Chu and other long-time RAAMsters don't hold Team Robic in high regards, with good reason.

In this case? I agree...he should have finished. Granted--as I learned from experience--one's emotions are faily raw by the end, but still. A true champion finishes.... Rather than displaying good sportsmanship and genuine feelings towards Wyss, Robic and team elected to take a selfish path that casts futher doubt about their integrity and moral courage.

S

fiamme red
06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
As you yourself said, he should have finished the race, then filed the protest.Yes, but I believe that was his crew's decision, not his, so I don't blame him for that any more than I blame him for the press release.

fjaws
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
If his accusations are true I can understand him not finishing in protest. I can't even imagine the training and committment necessary for this effort.

To be "rewarded" with second place I'm sure seems like a loss to him.

Very unfortunate that it went down this way. At the very least this puts an asterisk by the winners name which is likely what he hoped to accomplish. Sorta like winning gold at an Olympics boycotted by many of the strongest countries.

goonster
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
At the very least this puts an asterisk by the winners name
No it doesn't.

The whining from the Robic camp is a theatre of sour grapes, set to rousing Slovene marches. I don't buy for one second that the RAAM marshals conspired against Robic and systematically favored Wyss. There's no way that the cop who observed Jure micturating and reported him knew who he was. The excuse that Jure was ahead for such a long time that he was subject to disproportionate attention doesn't wash either when they were within sight of each other for long crucial stretches. Not for one second do I believe that Wyss ran lights systematically, to the extent that it gave him "hours" of advantages over Robic.

In RAAM the alternating support crews get hardly any sleep themselves. How can they support their rider and still claim to have been in a position to observe grave rule breaches by Wyss?

The rules are not just there to prevent unfair advantages, they are there to enforce strict standards of safety in an event that has had fatalities.

Jure is used to comfortable margins. He simply can't fathom having a competitor he can't crack. If the other guy is as fast, or faster, he must be cheating!

That press release reeks of delusion.

sn69
06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
This is not the first time his team has tried such nonsense.

No it doesn't.

The whining from the Robic camp is a theatre of sour grapes, set to rousing Slovene marches. I don't buy for one second that the RAAM marshals conspired against Robic and systematically favored Wyss. There's no way that the cop who observed Jure micturating and reported him knew who he was. The excuse that Jure was ahead for such a long time that he was subject to disproportionate attention doesn't wash either when they were within sight of each other for long crucial stretches. Not for one second do I believe that Wyss ran lights systematically, to the extent that it gave him "hours" of advantages over Robic.

In RAAM the alternating support crews get hardly any sleep themselves. How can they support their rider and still claim to have been in a position to observe grave rule breaches by Wyss?

The rules are not just there to prevent unfair advantages, they are there to enforce strict standards of safety in an event that has had fatalities.

Jure is used to comfortable margins. He simply can't fathom having a competitor he can't crack. If the other guy is as fast, or faster, he must be cheating!

That press release reeks of delusion.

fjaws
06-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Peeing beside the road.....exactly what unfair advantage or standard of safety is being enforced?

Not saying I believe everything he wrote, that's why I prefaced my remarks with "if his accusations are true".

I seriously doubt if anyone there DIDN'T know who he was as many times as he's done the event. I've been to 2 Military World Championship events (as mechanic) that he's participated in and everyone there new who he was even though he was outside of the Ultra-endurance crowd.

onekgguy
06-26-2009, 11:15 PM
"We have shown clear video evidence to the race officials of consistent infractions of Wyss and his team nothing was done by the race organizers.

The race organization ignored infractions that clearly made Wyss race faster on a consistent basis. These infractions include:

- Running red lights

- Turning right at red lights and immediately crossing to the left

- Running stop signs

- Not stopping at the mandatory stop for racers at TS 51

- Feeding the racer at red lights

- Aiding the racer from the pace car leaning out the window

- Inappropriate behavior of crew

- Caravaning

He really should have finished the race and then protested. I'd have to believe that it was his decision to make and not his team's. Who knows how confused he was at that point with so little sleep. I'd be surprised if he doesn't regret not finishing.

Kevin g

Boundgear
06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
At least there are no bears.

There was a mt. lion this year.

Boundgear
06-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Kevin Kaiser is doing solo RAAM this year. He's doing unbelievable! According to the stats he's getting stronger each day and has moved up into 5th place!! Woohoo, Kevin! Kevin did a fixed gear team with Jeff Bauer in last year's RAAM.

I hung with his crew at Borrego springs this year. Good people. Kaiser is the man.

RABikes2
06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I hung with his crew at Borrego springs this year. Good people. Kaiser is the man.
Kevin is a super nice person. Very quiet guy and true blue ... what you see is what you get. No false air around him.

The race for first American finisher and rookie of the year is getting even more exciting. According to the RAAM website leaderboard, Kevin is now behind American Chris Gottwald. They have less than 200 miles to the finish. Kevin's average speed is 11.73 while Gottwald's is 11.87. If one or the other needs a sleep break, that could be the race either way. There are also two conflicting comments on the blog stating that Chris is also a rookie rider this year and that he has a one hour penalty to serve at TS 51. But that he was an hour ahead at TS 47.

GOOOOO KEVIN!!!!

This report is directly off the RAAM blog from 11:58 a.m.:

"GOTTWALD PULLING AWAY - KAISER RIDING WELL

There was one minute difference between the two at TS45. Now through Gormania, Miles for Mentoring / Christopher Gottwald has a 51 minute lead.

It appears that Gottwald is the stronger of the two and is riding an exceptionally good race. The way both Kevin and Chris rode was amazing. Quiet early, powering home late.

Kevin had two goals. To be the first American to finish and the first Rookie. Unfortunately I don't think Kevin will be the first American. I was absolutely wanting him to grab 4th place, but he will still get the best rookie. So whilst he is partly disappointed, he can still be happy. He has ridden a tremendous race so far. But, the race isn't over yet.

All I'll say for now is.

Keep going Kevin. You're doing exceptionally well!"

znfdl
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Kevin is a wonderful person as I rode with him on the Pac Tour Elite. The amazing part of his race is that he continually improved upon his standing among the riders, a very intelligent race.

RABikes2
06-27-2009, 03:36 PM
RAAM interview with Kevin and Chris about 300 miles from the finish in Annapolis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCNFRPbt0xI

Boundgear
06-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Looks like he'll be second 'merican, with first rookie honors for sure. Finishing at all makes you a grade A stud, finishing in 5th, makes you grade A+ stud. 10 days is an awesome finish. His fixed effort really makes me want to follow in his footsteps.

RABikes2
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Looks like he'll be second 'merican, with first rookie honors for sure. Finishing at all makes you a grade A stud, finishing in 5th, makes you grade A+ stud. 10 days is an awesome finish. His fixed effort really makes me want to follow in his footsteps.
I read on the RAAM website that Gottwald did a two person team last year, just as Kevin did, so he'll also get the rookie honors, too. As you said, 5th overall is unbelievable, Kevin did GREAT! Last year, him and Jeff Bauer flew on their fixed gear, it was amazing. This year's race puts Kevin on solid ground as an amazing cyclist and he's one to be watched in future endurance races.

Kevin also rode fixed at PBP 2007. I can't remember where I was on the course, but Kevin came flying by me. I yelled to him and we rode together and talked for about a mile. Kevin then blasted off as he was on his way to catch up with his brother Chris who was on a recumbent and trying to qualify for RAAM. The two brothers are just as nice as can be.

Woo-hooooo ... GREAT RACE KEVIN! :banana: :banana:

RA

Boundgear
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
OH NO I didn't realize that Gottwald was a rookie too. Damn.

Edited to add that I was hanging with Chris at Taos right before he got back on the bike, and he was in a great mood and a blast to hang with. So I'm all for him succeeding too. A big you rock to all starters!