PDA

View Full Version : quick link for campy chain

cowboys
06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Can anyone recommend a quick link for a new campy record 10 narrow chain???? Would I need to remove any links in the new chain to install it??? Thanks much!!!

thwart
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Forster Super link, Wipperman Connex link, KMC also makes one. Make sure you get the one for an Ultra Narrow (5.9 mm) chain (I'm assuming that's what you have).

I've always needed to shorten the standard new-out-of-the-box length chain when installing it.

But if you ride a triple crank, and have a 66 cm bike with really, really long chainstays, maybe not. :D ;)

MarcusPless
06-24-2009, 11:46 AM
You'll almost certainly need to remove a few links, so you'll need to have a chain tool as well. Something like a Park CT-5 is all you need if you only do a handful of chains per year. I always make the new chain the same length as the existing chain (assuming the existing chain is the correct length) by laying them side by side and line up the links. This makes it obvious which pin you need to remove.

--Marcus

cowboys
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Are any of these more reliable or secure than the others? Looking for brand and model number with this in mind. Don't want to get stuck on trail!!

Guruman
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I use the Wipperman Connex link on all my bikes and have never had an issue...

Steve in SLO
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Both my Forstners clicked after about 500 mi. I now use Wippermans without issues

R2D2
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Both my Forstners clicked after about 500 mi. I now use Wippermans without issues
+1

I just diagnosed a similar problem.
They are a little too wide and ride up the side of the next sprocket then snap into place with a loud annoying ping or click.
I hate the sound of metal on metal.

John M
06-24-2009, 02:44 PM
If you use a wipperman, make sure you get the new 5.9mm wide link. Some shops still have the older 6.2mm (original C10) and 6.0mm (Shimano compatible wipperman) around.

C50
06-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I use the Forster IV and have never had an issue. If you are using the narrow 5.9 you for sure should use the IV and not the III version.

CNY rider
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
+1

I just diagnosed a similar problem.
They are a little too wide and ride up the side of the next sprocket then snap into place with a loud annoying ping or click.
I hate the sound of metal on metal.

Son of a *****.

I just spent most of Sunday tearing my Mariposa apart because of an annoying clunk from the drive train. :butt:
New chain, new cassette, took apart crankset, checked BB, lockring, pedals yadda yada yadda.
Couldn't find anything.
NOW you tell me it's the Superlink.

cdimattio
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I use the Forster IV and have never had an issue. If you are using the narrow 5.9 you for sure should use the IV and not the III version.

I am using the Forster IV masterlink and have experienced the annoying clicking described by others. It seemed to become noticeable after 800 miles or so.

Dave
06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually, the latest wipperman connex does not fit the Campy UN chain very well. Although it may be the correct outside width, the width across the inside is wider than it should be - the proper width for KMC or Shimano chains, but not the Campy UN or SRAM.

The SRAM 10 powerloc will fit the the CAmpy UN correctly, as will the special KMC model made for Campy UN or the Forster model 4.

Kurt
06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Actually, the latest wipperman connex does not fit the Campy UN chain very well. Although it may be the correct outside width, the width across the inside is wider than it should be - the proper width for KMC or Shimano chains, but not the Campy UN or SRAM.

The SRAM 10 powerloc will fit the the CAmpy UN correctly, as will the special KMC model made for Campy UN or the Forster model 4.

I have been using the shimano connex links with the un chains since they came out and they fit very snug and never had any issues - I cannot see where it could be any more snug and not bind so exactly what do you see as the problem? thanks

Steve in SLO
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I have been using the shimano connex links with the un chains since they came out and they fit very snug and never had any issues - I cannot see where it could be any more snug and not bind so exactly what do you see as the problem? thanks

+1/2.
Mine feel a bit looser than they should, but run quiet as the grave.

wasfast
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Me too. I have Connex Shimano (S1) links on 3 bikes. Work perfect. DON'T get the Connex link for Campy as it's 6.2mm, not 5.9mm which matches the UN Campy chain.

R2D2
06-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Son of a *****.

I just spent most of Sunday tearing my Mariposa apart because of an annoying clunk from the drive train. :butt:
New chain, new cassette, took apart crankset, checked BB, lockring, pedals yadda yada yadda.
Couldn't find anything.
NOW you tell me it's the Superlink.

I was in the same place.
Took a while to find it. And it is the 5.9 link.

I should add I run cartridge bearing pulley wheels. So no play on top jockey pulley.
So maybe if you are running stock Campagnolo pulleys there is enouch play to avoid the problem.

Also I re-installed new chain with the fixed pin and everything smooth like butter.

So that experiment was a sure waste of a good chain and money.
Anyone want some cheap Superlinks IV that don't work?