PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Handlebar tape - sources??

Kingfisher
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
I used to find this in bike shops years ago...rubber handlebar tape, usually only in black...can't recall the manufacturer. The last time I bought it was up in Vermont in a shop. Anyone see this stuff around or know any manu. that still produce it.

Ahneida Ride
06-23-2009, 10:51 AM
How about REAL leather ?

caleb
06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Lizard Skins is making a rubber-ish tape (http://www.lizardskins.com/products/view_product.html?type=road&product_line=bar%20tape&product_id=127&name=DSP%20(DuraSoft%20Polymer)%20Bar%20Tape&name2=&page_number=1) .

I tried it for one ride. It wasn't for me.

avalonracing
06-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Fetish Shop?

ThomasRZ
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Cinelli is making some, and it's actually pretty nice.

MIN
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I have some rubberized cinelli tape (tennis wrap style). It's tacky in a good way but not really elastic (ironic) so wrapping it is a chore. I think I purchased at ribblecycles.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/gbae007/99c9bdec.jpg

Kingfisher
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM
BINGO....that's it! I'll check out Ribble

Thanks

I have some rubberized cinelli tape (tennis wrap style). It's tacky in a good way but not really elastic (ironic) so wrapping it is a chore. I think I purchased at ribblecycles.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/gbae007/99c9bdec.jpg

WadePatton
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
i think harris cyclery may stock some "old fashioned" tape. rip sheldon.

PaulE
06-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Probikekit has old school Ambrosio tape in several colors. Not sure if you would consider that rubber or plastic. It has a hard skin but is softer underneath to provide some cushion. It is also cheap and you can unwrap the bars to adjust brake lever placement and then re-use it. I found that handy when I was experimenting with my brake lever placement when I built a bike with SRAM since I didn't need to waste a new roll of cork tape for every adjustment I made.

Dekonick
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Try the leather wrap

DHallerman
06-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Scott Grip Wrap was the great rubber(ized?) tape.

It came in only black, white, and grey. But you can easily clean it, easily reuse it (no adhesive), easily install it.

Because it stretches, the Grip Wrap works well with gel pads underneath.

I am doubly sorry -- one, that it's no longer available, and two, it didn't come in a rainbow of colors, either.

Dave, who stocked in several rolls when it became unavailable about 10 years ago

keevon
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Probikekit has old school Ambrosio tape in several colors. Not sure if you would consider that rubber or plastic. It has a hard skin but is softer underneath to provide some cushion. It is also cheap and you can unwrap the bars to adjust brake lever placement and then re-use it. I found that handy when I was experimenting with my brake lever placement when I built a bike with SRAM since I didn't need to waste a new roll of cork tape for every adjustment I made.
PBK's Ambrosio tape is nice for the price ($2?) but I found that my rolls had some defunct adhesive. The adhesive strip peeled off the back of the tape way too easily and it left a gummy residue on the front of the tape. A tight wrap and a little Goo-Gone fixed the problem, but FYI.

Get what ya pay for, I guess...

Kevan
06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
and you can't find exactly what you're lookin' for, you might check out Specialize's Roubaix wrap if it's still available out there. Looks a lot like crepe paper, but has a thickish foamed rubber texture. Super easy to wrap and good for you re-gifters...I mean..re-wrappers out there.

ericspin
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Bontrager's Grippy Tape has always been one of my favorites. Kinda turned into a leather fan lately but am tempted to try the Bontager stuff again on a new build. It lasts's forever btw.