PDA

View Full Version : DA-9 shifting problem

weisan
01-09-2005, 11:05 PM
OK, boys and girls, needless to say, I have run yet into another technical difficulty and was hoping that someone knowledgeable can throw some light into this.

While putting my legend back together with its original DA-9 components, the right-hand DA-9 (ST-7700) shifter is having a shifting issue. When it downshifts, it jumps two or three cogs down consistently. It no longer shifts a cog down one at a time. Before this started, I have degreased and re-lubed the inside of the shifter and now I am just putting it back on the bike. It used to work flawlessly.

http://alicehui.com/serotta/DA/da1.gif

Thanks a bunch!

weisan

93legendti
01-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I had an Ultegra right hand shifter stop working on me. I overnighted it to Shimano, who determined the problem was not crash or voiding of the warranty realted. Shimano overnighteded a new replacement shifter to me. I had the new shifter in 3 days total time. Contact Shimano---I hope the lubing didn't void the warranty. (I also had shifting problems on an older Shimano ****er and the spring in the rear der. was the culprit. Good luck.

weisan
01-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks 93Legend. I am not the original owner of this DA shifter and it is definitely more than three years old. Looking at the warranty disclaimer on the Shimano website, I don't think I qualify. Anyway, I am glad it all worked out well in your case.

One other thing I want to add...the upshifting? works perfect, no problem there.

93legendti
01-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Why not contact Shimano and see if they will look it over...what do you have to lose? :)

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2005, 06:56 AM
. . . but I have learned not to mess anything that has that many &*%$ parts crammed into that small a space! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 07:39 AM
:help: Weisan, I'm sure you put brand new SS Shimano cables on....... :confused:

Too Tall
01-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Weisan. Maybe we need a sticker for the Top Tube you know something like a DA shifter in a red circle with an "X" "Shimano Kills to date" :rolleyes: It's things like this that make me look longingly at my still functional 5 SPEED!!!!

On a humorous note. Yesterday my wife "destroyed" her DA R. shifter in the middle of our team ride...boy was she p'd. I ever so gently reminded her that shifting was generally done by pressing one lever at a time...she was wearing ENORMOUS winter gloves :rolleyes: ....as I quietly rolled OTF to escape her wrath.

hooverone
01-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Have you made sure that the "metal ball" on the end of the cable is seated against the inside of the shifter I have seem them where you need to release all tension shifts to the smallest gear and make sure that ball is seated and that fixed it.

Jim

Dave
01-10-2005, 09:05 AM
When I read these frequently posted reports of nonfunctioning shimano shifter that can't be repaired and look at the price of the new Shimano 10 shifters, it makes me glad I use Campy.

10 speed shifters start at $130 a pair and a complete overhaul is cheap and not too difficult to do at home.

dirtdigger88
01-10-2005, 09:13 AM
When I read these frequently posted reports of nonfunctioning shimano shifter that can't be repaired and look at the price of the new Shimano 10 shifters, it makes me glad I use Campy.

10 speed shifters start at $130 a pair and a complete overhaul is cheap and not too difficult to do at home.

Blah blah blah- and campy hoods fit midget so what is your point

Jason

weisan
01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. I will re-check everything again, but I can't recall doing anything different from what I normally do.

In the meantime, I will do what 93Legend suggest...call Shimano and see if they could help.

My dear friends, let's keep the campy vs shimano discussion out of this thread, if you will. I want to focus on the problem at hand. Muchas Gracias! :D

dirtdigger88
01-10-2005, 09:32 AM
weisan-

Sorry I had a momentary lapse of reason . . .

Jason

Dave
01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
But you can even get a Campy 10 shifter to operate your shimano 9 derailleur. Could be the start of moving to the dark side.

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

weisan
01-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks Jason and Dave. It's all about personal choice...and in the end, competition is good, consumer choice and providing an alternative in the market, those are good stuff.

Dave, thank you...I am aware of the compatibility. I won't say it's the "dark side" either. My preference is with STI because of a "lazy thumb" personal issue, that's all.

Anyone knows what would cause the DA shifter to downshift (to smaller cogs) two or three notches down at one time. The upshifting (to bigger cogs) on the other hand is flawless and crisp.

dirtdigger88
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
maybe if campy would make a MTB group- I naturally gravitated to Shimano because I had used their products on my MTB for 12 years prior to joining the "DARK SIDE" of road riding

Jason

hooverone
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
You might need to take off the litte plastic plate to make sure that the end of the cable is seated properly, tell me if this does not make sense.

Jim

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm with Hoover, the cables and or housing can be the problem. Those DA 9sp shifters are pretty solid. BTW I take them over Campy..... :D

Sandy
01-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Shimano had an acknowledged (by Shimano) problem on 9 speed Dura-Ace shifters. I had a minimum of 5 rear shifters and 2 front shifters, all covered under warranty. Perhaps if the problem is the shifter itself, Shimano would help you out, even if the warranty has expired.

Shifting Shimano Shifters,

Shimano Sandy

Ray
01-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Shimano had an acknowledged (by Shimano) problem on 9 speed Dura-Ace shifters. I had a minimum of 5 rear shifters and 2 front shifters, all covered under warranty. Perhaps if the problem is the shifter itself, Shimano would help you out, even if the warranty has expired.

Shifting Shimano Shifters,

Shimano Sandy
What years were the problem years? I have a couple of sets of DA 9-speed STI levers that have been working flawlessly for years with no maintenance other than an occasional shot of compressed air to blow the gunk out of the innards.

-Ray

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
That's what I call bad luck Sandy....I haven't had any problems with any of my Shimano shifters either..... :cool:

Sandy
01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
I bought my CSi in 1998. I received my new bike in November of 2003. So, I wouild say from sometime in 1998 or 1999 until sometime in 2003. One set of rear shifters only lasted for 2 weeks.

Sandy

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Sandy what happened to the shifter?? Did it explode??? :eek:

Sandy
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Vaporized!!

Actually, just stopped shifting, just like all the others. Normally what would happen is that I could not shift into some gears and then even less gears and then I couldn't shift into any gears at all. So I would have only one gear to use.

Gearing up,

Sandy

Sandy
01-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Do you realize that if you exploded, there would be a lot of Little Dans all over the place. If some of these Little Dans dropped onto rich soil, there would be a lot of Big Dans later. But first they would be Medium Dans. :)

Sort of reminds me of the cicada problem we had. :)

Dandy, Sandy

Big Dan
01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
I see what you are saying but, those little Dans would become Big Dans eventually.......... :p

Apart from the early Ultegra (rattlers) I mean shifters I haven't had anything like that happen.... maybe I'm lucky big dan... :D

weisan
01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Just got off the phone with Shimano customer service...."SORRY...NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY." End of conversation.

So, I will be checking on the housing and the cable again tonight.

Too Tall
01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Before you throw in the towel send it to me. I've had good luck reviving STI using a very powerful electronic parts cleaner and some very special cleaning solution...thankyou Buddabugsplatbob.

weisan
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Before you throw in the towel send it to me. I've had good luck reviving STI using a very powerful electronic parts cleaner and some very special cleaning solution...thankyou Buddabugsplatbob.

Tall-pal, assuming after you've fixed it, you would send it back to me, right? ;)

chrisroph
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Weisan, how do you like your look 281?

Richard
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Assuming that there is a problem that is not cable related, I've been able to revive STI by soaking in laquer thinner, shaking the container for effect, then lubing. Have you checked the screws behind the paddle to be sure they are tight or have not dropped out? Could the first degreasing have caused a piece of frayed cable to go where it doesn't belong? Clean again.

weisan
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Richard, thanks for the encouragement, I will certainly take another look at it again tonight. I would sure love to salvage this shifter especially when it's expensive to get another one, whether new or used.

Hi Chris, thanks for asking about the LOOK bike. Well, with the Legend out of commission, I have no choice but to like it. :D Seriously speaking though, I think it's a great bike. I have ridden on it on three separate occasions now, each more than 3+ hours or >50 miles long. My immediate reaction was noticing how smooth it is on the road. But comparing it to the Legend, it seems to lack a little bit of that "springing-ness?" especially when I stand up and pedal up a hill. But other than that, once it gets up to "racing speed" :D, boy, it just comes alive and go, go, go.... :banana:
Personally, I like it and would continue to ride it for a long time I would imagine.