PDA

View Full Version : S&S Coupler & TSA Inspections

Satellite
06-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I am leaving for CA tomorrow Santa Maria. I remeber reading somewhere on this forum that you could ask TSA to inspect your S&S Case in your presents. Do I just request this at the ticket counter?

Last time I flew TSA smashed my spokes Mavic K's in the compression members when they closed the lid. The wheel didn't get hurt but it certainly could have.

Thanks,

Satellite

Satellite
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
I did a quick search of the forum and found this little gem as this is exactly what happens to me; Thanks OLS.

I would still like to know if I can request a TSA Inspector?

Satellite

One suggestion: To make sure that TSA can open the case and reclose it the same as it was packed, I have had good success simply using 3 pieces of string to tie the front wheel (on top) to the bottom wheel at roughly every third of the way around the rim. This lets you (and more importantly, the inspector) open the case without the front wheel (on top) remaining in the upper half of the case -- which causes it to pull off the endcaps from the anti-compression members. Before I started tying the top wheel to the bottom wheel, I almost always found that the inspectors did not replace the anti compression caps when they closed the case. In one instance, the case clearly got squished, but thankfully, the bike was just fine (steel Kirk!)

Steve in SLO
06-23-2009, 12:32 AM
I have a card taped to my case at the lock that says "If you need help repacking, please call my cell phone: ########
They've never had to, but I have stood near and seen them inspect and reclose and none of them have had difficulties. I even had one of them in Eugene, OR say "Sir, you really can go now, we've done this before".

Satellite
06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Steve in SLO Thanks for the reply a group of us will be heading down to the farmers market on Thrusady, maybe I will see you there? I will be the dork wearing a MOOTS shirt.

Steve in SLO
06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
I can be an even BIGGER dork and wear my MOOTS Jersey...or not.
Enjoy Farmers Market. If you need any recommendations for food/drink, give me a call. I PMd you my cell.
Steve

Pete Serotta
06-23-2009, 05:59 AM
I would be the dork (old dork) in the Serotta jersey :)

Also they sell a tsa net that I have used on my trips. Can not say how well it works for I have a few initials from the TSA on my frame and components ut nothing broken, THat Card with cell ## sounds a good and I will try it next trip.

PETE

I can be an even BIGGER dork and wear my MOOTS Jersey...or not.
Enjoy Farmers Market. If you need any recommendations for food/drink, give me a call. I PMd you my cell.
Steve

Dustin
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
My frame got a slight dent in the TT from its last TSA experience. This is even after I put a sign on it with my number requesting them not to force it closed.

If I had it to do over again, I'd keep my S&S bike purchase limit to something like the Surly Traveler's Check on the notion that a travel bike is going to get beat up anyway, so might was well get something hardy and cheap.

Satellite
06-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Well I made it to Santa Maria; I asked the check-in clerk if I could get TSA to inspect my case with me there. She told me to go ask TSA and let her know she would keep my case until I came back to check-in. I started to ask a TSA Agent but the security line was ridiclous so I doubled back and told the check-in clerk to send the case through. I used the wheel tie technique as previously stated; they must have pulled the whole bike out of the case. Everything was packed differently than I had it. I have a pretty deep scratch on a chainstay and crank arm scrape damage on the FSA Carbon. Oh well can't keep a bike new forever they don't do you any good shrink wrapped on the fire place mantel.

Tomorrow I will get in a ride and my shipping wows will be a thing of the past. Good thing Ti is rugged.

Satellite

Dustin
06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I used the wheel tie technique as previously stated; they must have pulled the whole bike out of the case. Everything was packed differently than I had it. I have a pretty deep scratch on a chainstay and crank arm scrape damage on the FSA Carbon.

Satellite

Yup--the Traveler's Check is making more sense all the time. Too bad I already have so much $$$ invested in a high zoot Ti S&S beast.

jblande
06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Is there a chance that TSA will inspect my suitcase every time I fly? Or does this just happen at some airports? I have not had any problems with my Ti-coupler bike yet while flying, but this post made me slightly concerned...

Pete Serotta
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I have an unpainted ti with ultegra and while it gets initialed by TSA - it can all be rectified during a winter go over.... :)

Dustin
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Is there a chance that TSA will inspect my suitcase every time I fly? Or does this just happen at some airports? I have not had any problems with my Ti-coupler bike yet while flying, but this post made me slightly concerned...

I've flown with mine on 6 flights so far, and I believe it has been inspected every single time. YMMV.

John M
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Are there any rules about TSA liability for damage to luggage contents due to their inspection procedures or is it fly at your own risk?

Dustin
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Are there any rules about TSA liability for damage to luggage contents due to their inspection procedures or is it fly at your own risk?

I've wondered about this too, but in a situation where your top tube has been dented, or chainstay gouged, how would you prove that TSA did it? They could always just claim the scratch was there before.

This isn't S&S related, but one one occasion I flew with my bike in a bike box, and the agent made me sign a damage waiver as soon as it found out there was a bike inside. That seemed pretty effed up to me, but I was traveling as part of an overseas move, and needed to get where I was going, so wasn't exactly in a position to argue.

Steve in SLO
06-25-2009, 01:19 AM
I've wondered about this too, but in a situation where your top tube has been dented, or chainstay gouged, how would you prove that TSA did it? They could always just claim the scratch was there before.

This isn't S&S related, but one one occasion I flew with my bike in a bike box, and the agent made me sign a damage waiver as soon as it found out there was a bike inside. That seemed pretty effed up to me, but I was traveling as part of an overseas move, and needed to get where I was going, so wasn't exactly in a position to argue.

I had to sign a damage waiver once due to 'excessive value' or something similar.
My bike has been inspected on every flight I've taken.