PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars

Birddog
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I want to switch out my handlebars with some that have a shorter reach than the Ritchey WCS that I am using. The particulars are that they must be compatible with a quill stem and be better suited to old style Campy Record 10.

I have Ritchey Biomax on another bike and they would be very low on my list because I don't like the ergo bend. The FSA Compact sounds good, but clamp diameter is too large.

My goal is to get the hoods back about 1.5 to 2. CMs. I do like the back sweep of the Biomax and it would work well on this bike, it's just the ergo bend that I don't like.

I know this comes up often and I've done a search. I'm checking on newer alternatives. The stem is 100mm -17* and I'm not going shorter.
Thanks,
Birddog

RudAwkning
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
3ttt Morphe
Nitto M186
Nitto M184 STI-80
Nitto M196

All have short reach. The Morphe and M196 have a mild sweepback. The Morphe is discontinued though so you'll have to scour ebay for that.

jlwdm
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Everybody's short reach is different.

What is the reach on your current bar? My Ritchey is 84mm.

I wanted a shorter reach in silver but a 31.8 with 100mm stem also. Lots of searching but I found one at 70mm.

What do you need?

Jeff

Birddog
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Jeff, you make a good point. The Excel site says the reach is 82 but it looks more like 90 to me. These are at least 7 or 8 years old. The problem is caused by the longish ramp to the horns on Campy 10 levers. I'd like to shorten that by 1.5 cms or so. A bar with a rear sweep would help and a with a shorter reach would help even more. I've located some 3T Morphes as suggested by RudA but I haven't found the specs on them yet.
Birddog

mschol17
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Look on ebay for 3TTT ergo power due bars. I have some, and they have a pretty short reach.