PDA

View Full Version : O.T. anyone collect vintage vinyl?

chuckroast
06-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I did a quick search and last saw this discussed in 2006 so I thought I'd bring it back up for discussion.

Every Saturday, my wife and I go to Estate Sales to look for mid century furniture and housewares.

I also look for vintage records, usually seeking jazz or western swing.

People always have old albums but most are easy listening or classic rock. Usually the collectors have been through on Thursday or Friday when I am working.

Yesterday though was a good day. 3 Nina Simone, 1 Hubert Laws and the classic Miles Davis Bitches Brew, all in good condition and all for $9.

Anyway, vinyl is the best.

Dave
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I've got a lot of jazz albums from the 70's. All are in excellent condition. I usually played the albums only a time or two, then copied them onto cassettes. If interested, I can e-mail a complete list. I had no luck selling them on E-bay.

dvs cycles
06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
This guy has called in and talked to the morning radio show I listen to for years. He is a walking encyclopedia of record values.
http://www.moneymusic.com/
Some day I need to catalogue all 200 plus of mine and see if I have any gems there.

caterham
06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
pics of 2 out of 4 record storage shelf units (est.3500-3700 LP titles)-not sure if you'd consider it a 'proper' vinyl collection or not as there's a whole lot of rock in them. yesterday,i scored some spanky & our gang, the shins, jose feliciano, juliette greco,woody guthrie(BPA/columbia river collection),tonio k., alanis morisette,john mayall ,stevie wonder and gyorgi ligetti.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/caterham1700/fuzzykidznbikes003-1.jpg http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/caterham1700/cinelli006.jpg

Birddog
06-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I thought you were supposed to store them in a Peach crate or three, I know I did.

Birddog

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2009, 08:13 PM
. . . that's a nice looking man cave! :D

BBD

chuckroast
06-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Is that Elf panel from an F1 rear wing? Very nice....

daker13
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Dedicated record collector here... free jazz, straight ahead stuff, plus rock and pretty much anything interesting or out of the ordinary. I don't go to yard sales too much anymore, the selection is just too depressing.

caterham
06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
>>>chuckroast: "Is that Elf panel from an F1 rear wing?"<<<
yes. i collect a little team lotus & CART race memorabilia-that piece is a lotus 99T rearwing endplate, used by ayrton senna at the 1987 austrian f1 gp (5th)

Polyglot
06-21-2009, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=caterham]
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/caterham1700/lotus009.jpg[QUOTE]

That little black FIAMM box really brings back memories. I worked for FIAMM in the mid-90's when these battery packs were supplied to not only Lotus but also most of the F1 teams. We actually made batteries for almost all the teams, both for insertion in the drivers helmets, as well as in the cars (for telemetry transmission to the pits) and pits. Special batteries that could handle the extreme "G" forces. The box you have was the portable booster pack and was fitted with specially made batteries. Fiamm was also a title sponsor of the Italian GP in Monza and we would bring all our best customers down and ferry them pre and post race to the Milan airport by helicopter.

We also supplied the complete Ferrari production and actually had one of the first Ferrari F-50's sitting in the laboratory to be able to fit a battery in it.

caterham
06-22-2009, 12:45 AM
hi polyglot,
thanks for that. i have several photographs that were taken at the 93 canadian gp from inside the team castrol lotus paddocks with sveral of these fiamm battery cases sitting on the floor below the 107b chassis with either nose or damper covers removed but their exact useage isn't clear. always appreciated to recieve a little insight to the use and/or history behind my pieces. thanks again.

best,
ken

William
06-22-2009, 04:36 AM
WARNING!!!

Thread drift from vinyl to carbon fiber!!!

WARNING!!!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :cool: Cool collection you have there.

William

sc53
06-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Ken--
You're not married, are you?
No way a wife would let all those pieces of decaled metal hang on the wall.

Bob Ross
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, but if I posted pics you'd... oh, wait, you meant vinyl LP records. Nevermind.

caterham
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Ken--
You're not married, are you?
No way a wife would let all those pieces of decaled metal hang on the wall.

'mrs cat has stuck around for 20 years now & is pretty tolerant. she's a fan of alonzo & raikkonen,despised schumacher, booed michael andretti, adored ayrton and hates bernie & max. she's raced autocross in a b-stock miata r, rides a colnago with campy centaur and has a bianchi milano city bike. she can spot oscar friere in the middle of a field sprint,roots for pettachi and misses mario cippolini & erik zabel.

however, she's also ruthless. if so much as a trilobite crawls outside the confines of the man-cave, it will be immediately captured and fed to the yard-sale beasts.

Kevan
06-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Gone too went the Philips turntable (You old farts might remember the 3-touch green-light model?). I figured too I had a gold mine in old LP's, thinking an orgininal Kinks - You Really Got Me (mono, no less) would fetch enuf to feed the family for a month. Best I could determine I might get just over 20 bucks with all the nonsense of putting it on the web. So I gave it to a pal instead.

Now there's a pc in the place for the albums and turntable and I have almost 365 days worth of music pumping from itunes in the kef's.

That's progress for yuh!

chuckroast
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey, I'll hijack my own thread....

That John Player Special front winglet panel is even better than the Elf pieces. Wow, nice collection.

Russell
06-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I still buy new vinyl and 9 times out of 10 the lp has a free mp3 download so I can put it on my iPod.

Just picked up the Beck reissue of "One Foot in the Grave" on 180 gram vinyl and the new Sonic Youth, "The Eternal" also on 180gr. Last Saturday was "Vinyl Saturday" and I got a Wilco 7-inch that was released just for that day.

pjm
06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Gone too went the Philips turntable (You old farts might remember the 3-touch green-light model?). I figured too I had a gold mine in old LP's, thinking an orgininal Kinks - You Really Got Me (mono, no less) would fetch enuf to feed the family for a month. Best I could determine I might get just over 20 bucks with all the nonsense of putting it on the web. So I gave it to a pal instead.

Now there's a pc in the place for the albums and turntable and I have almost 365 days worth of music pumping from itunes in the kef's.

That's progress for yuh!
Unless you're talking sound quality. ;)

Vancouverdave
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I've winnowed down to a couple of dozen. A friend of my wife's can convert them to MP3's and burn CD's so that they can actually be listened to--her next bike repair will be a work-trade. People throw 'em out around here--my guitar teacher found an original 10" LP of Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grapelli and the Hot Club of France in someone's recycling bin while he was out for a walk.

thejen12
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone for 78s? I have a couple of boxes of them. I did record some of them onto cassette tape for a friend and he loved it so much he wore it out. That alone makes the collection worthwhile, but I don't think I'll ever get around to do that again....

Jenn

flickwet
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
My kid's Ipods sound like crap compared to Cds, My Cds sound less "interesting" than my Lps. fer instance, Pink Floyd Dark side of the Moon, got it on MoFi Cd, regular Cd MoFi vinyl and British Harvest, The MoFi vinyl has always knocked it out of the park, more accurate? prob not, phase distortions and eq of the record probably lend an enhancement to it. Yeah I got Vinyl every Cleveland Orch release on Epic, Every Miles all "6 eyes" when age apropo most non bop Jazz from the 50's, 60's and on Hate Bop, my bad its just that I don't get it, West Coast Jazz hell yeah, Linn TT, Rogers LS3/5a's, Spica TC-50's, Bryston just midfi smart stuff, no tubes, no "magic bricks" and don't push expensive cables on me I don't buy it, My ears are Happy and my toes is tappin'. BTW on the porch a Sunn Horn Monitors, driven by a NAD amp playing Ipods and Cds, cause its gotta sound loud and live outside.

mister
06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I still buy new vinyl and 9 times out of 10 the lp has a free mp3 download so I can put it on my iPod.

Just picked up the Beck reissue of "One Foot in the Grave" on 180 gram vinyl and the new Sonic Youth, "The Eternal" also on 180gr. Last Saturday was "Vinyl Saturday" and I got a Wilco 7-inch that was released just for that day.

yeah i buy most all my new stuff on vinyl. pretty cool that there is digital download in most too.
the new sonic youth is good. great pressing too.

mosca
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
ummm, my vinyl wasn't vintage when I bought it... :D

On a related note, the dj on our local college radio station introduced a song this morning as "an oldie, from 1999." Man, I feel old!