PDA

View Full Version : Question on F-1 and F-2 Forks

PaulE
06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I just swapped out my Ultegra 6500 brakes for Dura Ace 7800 brakes on my Legend with an F-2 fork. During this process, the stock Shimano 7800 rececessed allen nut for the front brake bolt would not fit in the brake bolt hole. I then noticed that the 6500 brake took off has what looks like a non-standard titanium recessed allen nut and so I used that. The 6500 brakes that came off my CSI when it had an F-1 fork also had the same brushed ti-looking recessed allen nut. Do the F-2 and F-1 forks have smaller diameter than normal brake bolt holes?

dnades
06-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Yep, pretty sure that is the case. Ouzo pros also have a smaller brake bolt hole and I think the f1 and f2 were built by reynolds for Serotta. Slightly smaller than the stock brake bolt that comes with the dura ace brakes. Not sure why but I am sure there is a good reason. :rolleyes:

Smiley
06-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep, pretty sure that is the case. Ouzo pros also have a smaller brake bolt hole and I think the f1 and f2 were built by reynolds for Serotta. Slightly smaller than the stock brake bolt that comes with the dura ace brakes. Not sure why but I am sure there is a good reason. :rolleyes:
The F1 fork was designed by Serotta and built by General Composites. Your right that the brake bolt holes and nuts are different, the F3 is even further different.

dnades
06-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Smiley,

Thanks for the clarification. Any idea why the brake bolt is slightly smaller? I have always wondered why. Difference between steel and carbon? Or something altogether different?

Smiley
06-21-2009, 03:32 PM
All three forks have different bolts go figure, on the F3 its because the carbon is so thick on the area of the bolt but have no idea why all the rest are different. I don't really think it matters as I try not to lose the bolt that comes with the fork in these cases.

TimD
06-21-2009, 06:03 PM
The Ouzo Pro requires a specific binder bolt, which you or your LBS probably won't find in the Problem Solvers catalog. It is either Ti or stainless, most likely the former. The OD is slightly smaller than most, the length is longer than most. If you need the dimensions let me know.

Reynolds have been happy in the past to provide the binder bolts if you contact them.

I've faced this issue a number of times in the past. On more than one occasion I've educated shop mechanics half my age who previously considered themselves reliably authoritative on the subject and were more than happy to tell me exactly that with various disdainful looks and snotty remarks... :crap:

PaulE
06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't need the part as I have 2 of them and only 1 F-2 fork now. I'll hold on to that second one as I'm sure I'll need it someday. :)

Mike748
06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Its probably non standard diameter as it is longer than standard. Keeps you from mistakenly using a standard brake nut and having too little thread engagement. Of course there are those who would respond with an electric drill...