PDA

View Full Version : Now HERE'S an idea! . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Maybe we'll actually see a premium put on rider intelligence again. They will actually have to decide for themselves when to bust a move. What a concept!

BBD

====================================

Tour tries radio silence
By VeloNews.com
Published: Jun. 19, 2009

No radios for two stages at the 2009 Tour.

Organizers of the Tour de France said Friday they will conduct “a safety experiment” in next month’s race by banning the use of rider radios on two stages.

The measure will affect the Limoges-Issoudun stage on July 14 and the Vittel-Colmar stage on July 17. The steps mean that team managers will have to revert to communicating with racers by relying upon more traditional methods.

The rules may also place greater emphasis on planning and pre-race strategy meetings, once-critical elements that have lost some of their importance since the 1990s when teams began employing lightweight radios to allow in-race communication between team directors and riders.

"This measure is not being imposed by the Tour de France but represents the application of the existing French Highway Code," Tour sporting director Jean-Francois Pescheux told AFP.

"It is aimed at preventing something dramatic happening one day."

In another measure, staff traveling in team support cars will no longer be allowed to watch TV coverage of the race, Tour officials said.

Some advocates of radios and in-car televisions have said the two help warn riders of possible safety issues. Others have suggested radios cause as many problems as they solve. Pescheux said adequate warnings exist with or without radios.

"In the case of an emergency affecting the course, such as a street demonstration or a roadside fire, we have in the past been able to warn the
riders very quickly," Pescheux said.

The French Gendarmerie, said Pescheux, are also trained to signal potential hazards to the cyclists.

rounder
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
I like it. Let the riders run their race. I know it's only two stages.

avalonracing
06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I think it's great! I'd love to see the whole Tour done that way.

David Kirk
06-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I also like the "no TV's in the team car" deal.

We might have some real racing.

dave

Kines
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
The cheaters are already dreaming up their strategy.

If we can make CERA, afterall, we can make cochlear implants or some other device that receives radio transmission without being detected......

KN

bigbill
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
They'll just put guys on the side of the road with race radios to relay info and strategery. It's all a plot to get a French win on Bastille Day.

dd74
06-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Spotters. Pro cycling can learn a thing or two from NASCAR.

BumbleBeeDave
06-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Spotters. Pro cycling can learn a thing or two from NASCAR.

. . . drug dealers in the projects. Maybe the teams can borrow some of the drug dealer's spotters.

BBD

Steve in SLO
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
They'll just put guys on the side of the road with race radios to relay info and strategery. It's all a plot to get a French win on Bastille Day.

Yup. Just look for the guys long the road in the team jerseys making moves like a 1st base coach.

ahumblecycler
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Mechanics will integrate the relay devices into the Power Meters.