PDA

View Full Version : Mont Ventoux--Parking/Camping Recommendations

echelon_john
06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
My wife and I are going to be in Europe this summer and we're planning on seeing two stages of the Tour; the time trial in Annecy, and the penultimate Mont Ventoux stage.

I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for getting on Ventoux and seeing the race; we'll be driving down there from Annecy the day before the stage (friday, stage on saturday).

Based on a lot of map research and what little I've been able to find on the Web, I'm thinking of driving up the mountain from the east (from Sault) and getting as close as possible to Chalet Reynard and camping there. That also looks like the best way to get off the mountain after the stage, since the road up that side isn't on the course.

Does anyone who's seen this stage before have any tips? Interested specifically in whether roadside camping close to Chalet Reynard is a good bet, vs. other options. Do people camp at the summit? Should we leave the car somewhere else and hitch a ride up? How far up are we likely going to be able to drive/camp the day before? Etc.

Thanks in advance! :beer:
John