PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 spd chain install-tell me what tool you're using..

Kingfisher
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
About to take off the 2002 dura ace and install recently bought 10 spd campy record on my csi. I've heard conflicting info on what tool is best for campy 10 speed chain installation...what are you guys using - park pedro's (please don't say oem campy, I've blown all my money on parts)?

Thanks

MarcusPless
06-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I just use whatever "master-link" is a reasonable fit for the width of the chain. I've used at least three different brands of links over the last few years; never had any problems with any of them.

--Marcus

jlwdm
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I went to a LBS yesterday to have a new Campy 10 speed chain put on. I have the tool but they just used a Park - said no need for tool.

$3 installation seemed like a good deal to me.

Jeff

Mike748
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I installed one yesterday with a Forster SuperLink from Lickton's. They have 6.1 and 5.9 sizes which is nice.

BTW I figured out the Forster-Lickton connection... Bob Lickton holds the patent on this design of master link. I believe SRAM is a licencee.

Dave
06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
If you read the chain installation instructions, you'll notice that the joining pin is installed from the left side. I always drape the chain over the BB shell to eliminate all tension on the chain while installing the pin. If you don't, the pin will be cocked and try to go in crooked. The Campy tool is built such that it holds both ends of the chain together, even under tension.

My old Park chain tool, bought in the days of 8 or 9 speed will work with a Campy 10 chain, but I had to file the center U-shaped support on the drive pin side, to eliminate interference with the inner plate. It's the outer plate that is supposed to rest against the back of the tool, without the center support applying pressure to the inner plates.

I like the wipperman 10S1 link to join a Campy chain, but it's no longer made. A SRAM 10 powerloc, Forster superlink model 4 or a special KMC link for the Campy UN chain will all fit.

djg
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry -- picked up a deal (relatively speaking) on the Campagnolo tool and never looked back.

vqdriver
06-18-2009, 06:54 PM
park ct3
works well on everything so far.

Dekonick
06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I use a generic Pro Bike Kit 10 sp chain tool. I use the Licton's master link, so it really doesn't matter as it is used to pop the rivit out - the master link doesn't require you to replace any rivit.

From what I have determined, (messing around with spare links) a good 10 speed tool works just fine if you are careful. The Campy tool is pretty nice, but not worth the price.

I now have a small collection of replacement 10 sp campy pins...

:D

I just wish I could ride... bummer. At least 6-8 more weeks before I am cast free... :crap:

jchasse
06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I do have the Campy 10-speed chain tool…

But, I have Wipperman Connex 10-speed links on Record and Chorus equipped bikes at the moment and have absolutely no complaints. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t bother with the Campy tool.

Just as an FYI, I also used a 10-speed Superlink from Licktons (tried 2 of them actually), and had a really annoying, but subtle “clunk” that I could feel through the cranks. It took a LONG time to trace it back, but i finally figured out that it seemed to correspond with the link passing through the RD (or over the cassette – I can’t remember). As soon as I replaced the Superlink with the Wipperman , the drivetrain was perfect and has been trouble free since.

rockdude
06-18-2009, 09:11 PM
wipperman master link.....

John M
06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
When getting a wipperman link, make sure you get the new 5.9mm link, which is the same width and the newer Campy ultra chains.