PDA

View Full Version : Missy Giove Arrested Near Saratoga Springs

jlwdm
06-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Missy Giove and two others arrested with 400 lbs of marijuana. Article in VeloNews.

Giove (http://www.velonews.com/article/93545/giove-charged-in-marijuana-distribution-plan)

Jeff

dookie
06-18-2009, 07:20 AM
ouch...that's gonna sting.

BumbleBeeDave
06-18-2009, 07:30 AM
. . . on the front page of our own morning paper. They were arrested in Wilton, which is right next to Saratoga.

"Missy the Missile" had a rather colorful reputation as a rider, and I imagine that didn't help her a lot in finding employment after she left racing. Looks like she'll get a roof over her head and three squares a day for quite some time now.

BBD

William
06-18-2009, 07:38 AM
A bit hard to argue against distribution getting bagged with 400 pounds of splief.

William

Auk
06-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Somehow, not surprised. Unfortunate though.

avalonracing
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe she can say it was for personal use. Is it that hard to believe?

gearguywb
06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
party favors for a small get together of her closest 400 friends.

Hai H. Ho
06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
The article stated "Existing federal drug statutes call for a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in such cases, although recent Supreme Court rulings have granted considerable latitude to sentencing judges, particularly in cases involving first-time offenders."

Any one know if she has had priors? Regardless, it's still sad.

keevon
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
party favors for a small get together of her closest 400 friends.
One pound per friend? That's one hell of a party favor...

More like party favors for a small get together of 180,000 friends.

fiamme red
06-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Apparently aware of Giove’s competitive background, DEA agent John Gilbride felt compelled to offer the observation that "drug trafficking can lead you downhill fast." :) :p ;)

paczki
06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
A bit hard to argue against distribution getting bagged with 400 pounds of splief.

William

You clearly haven't spent a lot of time with mountain bikers.

csm
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I was wondering why she hadn't returned any of my calls.

Steelhead
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Yikes. The buds were destined for NYC? Curious how much of it would be distributed by bike messenger, which is common.

jbrainin
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
FWIW, AP is currently reporting it was "only" 200 pounds.

William
06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
ABC News live report....... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUScdrsMzpM&feature=PlayList&p=B2BF7514CDFCB36A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7)

Live report about the bust and the burning of the confiscated evidence. Up in Smoke.

William

LegendRider
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
400 lbs of weed?!?! Was she headed to a Phish show?

yodelinpol
06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
i know i am gonna catch it for this but... this is another reason it should be illegal.

downhill racing that is...

fiamme red
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
The UCI's Prohibited Classes of Substances and Prohibited Methods used to state:

Marijuana is not prohibited, except in the discipline "downhill" in MTB, where a sample will be declared positive as from the detection of more than 40 ng/ml. of THC-COOH (main metabolite of cannabis).

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=&tier=4&id=2EAB6CFBEF834871B625B8EAA722B037

"A rule is a rule only as long as it applies equally to all competitors. The UCI's ban on THC only applies to downhill racers. Cross-country competitors can party hardy, because marijuana is not a banned substance for them. When asked, NORBA or UCI officials did not comment as to why cross-country racers are not held to the same high standards that Downhill racers are. Does THC only enhance the performance of riders who are going down hill on heavy mountain bikes? Are cross-country competitors immune from THC's effects, or simply better people than downhillers?"

paczki
06-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Ben any zen on this from Saratoga? :)

Blue Jays
06-18-2009, 01:43 PM
It is unfortunate to hear that she is a criminal. :(

ThomasRZ
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
FTW. :rolleyes:

link
06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Whoa! That's a bummer. :(

Several years ago I met Ms. Giove on the White Rim in Canyonlands Natl. Park, UT. She was running a woman's camp. They were having fun. I was fixing a flat.

I remember her being funny. I hope she fares well with this.

gemship
06-18-2009, 03:49 PM
I have no idea who she is but I find it interesting to read all the sorry post on this thread and none for Tom Boonen.

mtnbke
06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
I parked next to Missy years and years ago (I think it was '94) at the Cactus Cup, an early season NORBA event.

Even though she had been given one of the Volvos, and it was new, you could tell it was 'her car' even if her name wasn't obvious from papers on the dash. What was funny, to me, is that she must have gotten there pretty late. We were parked really far away. That car was never going to be the same.

I always thought Missy was a character. Hopefully, she can still make something of the rest of her life when she becomes a free person again. She's always been a free spirit. I hate to say it, but I think prison is going to destroy her spirit.

I also just thought of the weirdest thing. I just bought an old Volvo 850 wagon, I never made the connection until now...

rwsaunders
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
One of her accomplices had 150# of pot in his house and $1M in cash in the closet. I smell tax evasion coming too.

shiftyfixedgear
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
What is the street value of 400 lbs. of weed ?

Kines
06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I remember her being funny.

We used to call it "stoned".

KN

cadence90
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
.... ..

rwsaunders
06-18-2009, 08:36 PM
What is the street value of 400 lbs. of weed ?

$1,000 to $1,500 per pound according to my US Attorney brother-in-law...depends on the grade and such.

cadence90
06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
.... ..

gemship
06-18-2009, 08:53 PM
$1,000 to $1,500 per pound according to my US Attorney brother-in-law...depends on the grade and such.

and that's wholesaling it. I mean if you start dealing quarter ounces for 50$ a bag you just doubled your money buying that 1600$ pound.

rwsaunders
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
and that's wholesaling it. I mean if you start dealing quarter ounces for 50$ a bag you just doubled your money buying that 1600$ pound.

Just like the bulk food section of COSTCO. :cool:

pjm
06-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Whoa! That's a bummer. :(

Several years ago I met Ms. Giove on the White Rim in Canyonlands Natl. Park, UT. She was running a woman's camp. They were having fun. I was fixing a flat.

I remember her being funny. I hope she fares well with this.
Really? She's a drug dealer! (allegedly) I hope they put her away.

csm
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM

I look at pot as different than most other drugs.

jvp
06-19-2009, 12:22 PM
~400 lbs. of pot + a million cash on hand + a money counting machine is alot different than a having a personal stash of a recreational drug.

link
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
pjm,

It seems to me that you think my hoping her well and her facing the legal consequences that you hope for are mutually exclusive. They aren't mutually exclusive.

In the context of her plight, I believe that the people must level proper legal consequences, like the ones she will certainly face, with compassion.

The consequences are certain. The compassion isn't. So I chose to give a dose of compassion.

mister
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
well that's not quite worth what gold is.
still worth alot more than if it were legal and regulated.

link
06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
well that's not quite worth what gold is.
still worth alot more than if it were legal and regulated.

I believe medical marijuana dispensaries sell their medicine for slightly more than the going black market street value. Not sure if that would persist if the fed were to get into the mary jane game.

thejen12
06-19-2009, 02:55 PM
I look at pot as different than most other drugs.
You might think differently if you saw where it was grown - much of it is grown in our US park lands in illegal pot farms that are guarded by gun-toting illegal immigrants who live in squalor on the land. Natural streams are diverted for water and polluted by fertilzer and human waste. Trash is left all over, and whatever was growing there naturally is cleared away to make room for the pot plants. When they find these illegal farms, then they spend your tax dollars to go in and try to clean the mess up, sometimes getting shot in the process.

It's a whole other side of the pot business that you don't really think about when you're seeing it as a harmless recreational drug.

Jenn

Blue Jays
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
thejen12, you're correct. Going for a hike, camping, mountainbiking, or otherwise innocently encountering a backcountry pot farm would be an uncomfortable situation, to say the least.
People running them are criminals and often have very little to lose. You offer good insight and it's unfortunate that Missy Giove turned her attention to criminal enterprise.

bshell
06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Will we ever take the profits/crime/violence out of the drug trade by making it legal? How much revenue would that generate for the country?

How much do we waste on CAMP, enforcement time, court time, jail time, etc? For what? Do you know ANYONE that really wanted to use drugs but was deterred by their illegality?

If anyone has numbers I would love to see them. Couldn't we spend it on education and rehabilitation instead?

I don't happen to think drugs are harmless. There are turf wars going on (large and small...along with the collateral damage) all over the world. I DO think our War on Drugs is pointless.

Oh yeah, I'm also for drug testing. Do what you want with your life but if you're working for me you are going to be sober.

Sandy
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Will we ever take the profits/crime/violence out of the drug trade by making it legal? How much revenue would that generate for the country?

How much do we waste on CAMP, enforcement time, court time, jail time, etc? For what? Do you know ANYONE that really wanted to use drugs but was deterred by their illegality?

If anyone has numbers I would love to see them. Couldn't we spend it on education and rehabilitation instead?

I don't happen to think drugs are harmless. There are turf wars going on (large and small...along with the collateral damage) all over the world. I DO think our War on Drugs is pointless.

Oh yeah, I'm also for drug testing. Do what you want with your life but if you're working for me you are going to be sober.

I am not knowldgeable enough to know what the solution to the drug problem in the US/world is, if it even exists, but it is apparent to me that our our "War on Drugs" simply is not working. Too much demand and too much profit. Hard combo to beat. I agree that programs directed towards education and rehabilitation would probably be a wiser use of resources and probably much more productive.

I would consider (not saying I would do it) legalizing drugs, with controlled sale, with gigantic profits and some associated crimes disappearing (to a substantial degree I would think). I would consider other alternatives too. It is just clear to me that we are not winning the war on drugs.

Sandy

H1449-6
06-20-2009, 11:07 PM
It is unfortunate to hear that she is a criminal. :(

Innocent until proven guilty.

soulspinner
06-21-2009, 05:33 AM
I was wondering why she hadn't returned any of my calls.

:p

gearguywb
06-21-2009, 06:24 AM
The "War on Drugs" is about the dumbest leftover from bygone years possible. Should we fight a war that is impossible to win with no real plan? Legalize pot, tax it, control...just like alcohol. By doing so it will save billions of taxpayer dollars while generating revenue in the business realm as well as tax revenue. Is there really a reason to arrest/prosecute/jail the recreational pot smoker?

I guess on this one I am pretty liberal. I think that legalization of pot has a lot of positive consequences and at the same time, a true enforcement of the laws against "hard drugs" is needed.

avalonracing
06-21-2009, 07:44 AM
If alcohol is legal pot should probably be legal too. But if you drive, fly, or do your job that serves the public under the influence of either... I say big punishment, no warnings, no mercy.

ericspin
06-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I am currently building a huge distribution facility in the Tampa area for one of the states largest wine and spirits distributor. The owners rep told us that the alchoholic beverage industry sales in the state of FL accounts for over 40% of the states tax revenue!! He said that they are basically tax collectors. Bet the state would love to gather the tax revenue on all of the pot that runs through our state. Together with the alchohol that would have to be a staggering amount of money.

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
If alcohol is legal pot should probably be legal too. But if you drive, fly, or do your job that serves the public under the influence of either... I say big punishment, no warnings, no mercy.

. . . is just so much mired in a swamp of hypocrisy. From a standpoint of damage to society and increasing the aggregate health care and other social costs, a reasonable argument can be made that alcohol and tobacco are as damaging to health--possibly more so--than any of the "recreational" drugs. But they are already established as "legal" and therefore will still be around. If you try to ban them you run into the same social contract issues that killed prohibition and the 55mph speed limit. There's a limit to government's ability to enforce any law if a large enough segment of the populace doesn't like it and ignores it.

The question to me is, how do the social and public health questions shake out if you did make pot legal? Does the money raised by taxes on the business add up to enough to balance out the health care and other costs to society (for example, taking care of kids who are left orphans because Mom and/or Dad drove off a bridge while they were high). Increased numbers of people who would smoke it if it were legal and create more public health and administrative costs. Then that also brings up the questions of what exactly defines a "recreational" drug and what the next one will be. Meth? Crack? Heroin? How about undeveloped ones of the future, like attaching a wire directly to the pleasure center of your brain and hooking up the juice? Where does it end?

Personally, if Missy the Missile wants to spend the rest of her life in a ganja-induced state of limbo, then more power to her. But she can go pay for her own cancer treatment. That's the part of all of these habits that are just so obviously contrary to good health. People engage in too much smoking, drinking, drugging, and munching on pork rinds, then expect medical science to heal their indulgences--which as a healthy person who doesn't do this crap and keeps in shape, I kind of get exercised at since I end up having to help pay for it through increased health insurance costs. :mad:

BBD

onekgguy
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM
With alcohol it's easy to measure the level in one's body and we have limits on how much can be in you when you're behind the wheel. How would we establish standards for how stoned a person can be behind the wheel? I'm not even sure what is done today when a person is impaired by pot and pulled over. Anybody?

Kevin g

avalonracing
06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
How would we establish standards for how stoned a person can be behind the wheel? I'm not even sure what is done today when a person is impaired by pot and pulled over. Anybody?

Well, it's easy to find out how stoned they actually are by asking them how much they like The Dead, Phish, or The Dave Matthews Band.

Me, I'm clean... I think they all suck.

(I think whether someone likes Jimmy Buffett works for an alcohol sobriety test)

Tom
06-21-2009, 10:37 AM
If you're an idiot, reefer just makes you more so. However, you'd be amazed how many people around you right now are functioning extremely well while stoned. It's a psychoactive, and that's why it's frowned upon. Better to provide people with depressants, such as alcohol, so they don't think so much. You get people thinking, and it's like a batter in baseball. You get more hits when you're at bat more. That could cause problems for the status quo. Change is bad according to many people.

I have personally known and worked with one person that made it to a position of some responsibility in an international company while enjoying, as he put it, 'house blend' in his pipe down at the smoker's area. He complained that it used to be better when he didn't have to take time to leave his office to enjoy a bowlful - and he had to mix it with tobacco in order to indulge.

In my opinion, it would make more sense to legalize it.

Steve Earle's take:

Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
Same as my daddy and his daddy before
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only came to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
Everybody knew that he made moonshine
Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
He headed up the holler with everything he had
It's before my time but I've been told
He never came back from Copperhead Road
Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that rumblin' sound
Well the sheriff came around in the middle of the night
Heard mama cryin', knew something wasn't right
He was headed down to Knoxville with the weekly load
You could smell the whiskey burnin' down Copperhead Road

I volunteered for the Army on my birthday
They draft the white trash first,'round here anyway
I done two tours of duty in Vietnam
And I came home with a brand new plan
I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico
I plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
Well the D.E.A.'s got a chopper in the air
I wake up screaming like I'm back over there
I learned a thing or two from ol' Charlie don't you know
You better stay away from Copperhead Road

malcolm
06-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I've not read the whole thread but if you knew how many people were on the highways on their prescription drugs xanax/lortab/etc you would be shocked and uncomfortable. I'll take a driving pothead over a xanax addict any day.

rwsaunders
06-21-2009, 11:37 AM
~400 lbs. of pot + a million cash on hand + a money counting machine is alot different than a having a personal stash of a recreational drug.

+1.

Elefantino
06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Legalize it. Tax it. Use money to fight drug abuse and prevention. (Uh-oh. I hear the bleating about "putting the government in charge" off in the distance. Easy, boys and girls.)

I can't drink anymore because of medicine I take. It does not do well with alcohol. It does not clash with THC.

If it's legal, I'm growing my own, smoking my own, on my own, not harming anyone.

And I'm buying stock in Frito-Lay.

Too bad about The Missile.

csm
06-21-2009, 01:15 PM
at the rate we're legalizing other "addictions" here in PA I don't see any problem legalizing pot. can't have any more of a social cost than slot machines and coming soon to a parlor near you in Penn's Woods.... table games... that will solve our financial crisis. why not pot? the locals here that partake seem to have no issue getting it anyway so why not get a little revenue on it?
I've read a lot about the impact of pot farmers in national land; the use of water, resources, etc. I think much of that would simply be solved through the federal legalization. besides, I'd argue that pot farmers on blm land do less damage than the hordes of winnebagos do every season. not to mention the bang-up job the blm themselves do to the entrusted land due to inept management.
as long as we can prevent drivers using cell phones while they are high we should be good.

Walter
06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
With alcohol it's easy to measure the level in one's body and we have limits on how much can be in you when you're behind the wheel. How would we establish standards for how stoned a person can be behind the wheel? I'm not even sure what is done today when a person is impaired by pot and pulled over. Anybody?

Kevin g

Many states, including AZ, make it a crime (DUI) if there is any evidence of THC in your system. It does not have to affect your driving. If the lab test shows it, you are guilty.

avalonracing
06-21-2009, 03:48 PM
He complained that it used to be better when he didn't have to take time to leave his office to enjoy a bowlful - and he had to mix it with tobacco in order to indulge.

It's not addictive though, right? :rolleyes:

fiamme red
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=880920

gemship
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=880920

Wow, I'd say she made out with that plea agreement. I mean five years is a lot of time but nothing compared to 40.

54ny77
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
does that mean she won't have a display of medicinal herbal products at the battenkill exhibition area?

rounder
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
If you're an idiot, reefer just makes you more so. However, you'd be amazed how many people around you right now are functioning extremely well while stoned. It's a psychoactive, and that's why it's frowned upon. Better to provide people with depressants, such as alcohol, so they don't think so much. You get people thinking, and it's like a batter in baseball. You get more hits when you're at bat more. That could cause problems for the status quo. Change is bad according to many people.

I have personally known and worked with one person that made it to a position of some responsibility in an international company while enjoying, as he put it, 'house blend' in his pipe down at the smoker's area. He complained that it used to be better when he didn't have to take time to leave his office to enjoy a bowlful - and he had to mix it with tobacco in order to indulge.

In my opinion, it would make more sense to legalize it.

Steve Earle's take:

Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
Same as my daddy and his daddy before
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only came to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
Everybody knew that he made moonshine
Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
He headed up the holler with everything he had
It's before my time but I've been told
He never came back from Copperhead Road
Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that rumblin' sound
Well the sheriff came around in the middle of the night
Heard mama cryin', knew something wasn't right
He was headed down to Knoxville with the weekly load
You could smell the whiskey burnin' down Copperhead Road

I volunteered for the Army on my birthday
They draft the white trash first,'round here anyway
I done two tours of duty in Vietnam
And I came home with a brand new plan
I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico
I plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
Well the D.E.A.'s got a chopper in the air
I wake up screaming like I'm back over there
I learned a thing or two from ol' Charlie don't you know
You better stay away from Copperhead Road

The problem I have with legalizing marijuana is that I really believe it leads to harder drugs for many. It did for Steve Earle (heroin). He served time in jail for that and also for weapons. Besides, the social costs of providing money for good schools, navigatable roads, cultural events, etc., our compassion and tax dollars are then required to subsidize the costs of medical care, reimbursement of injured victims, court costs and incarceration of the druggies, plus also treatment for their rehabilitation. I know that not all marijuana smokers are criminals and will not become junkies, and that we could also use tax dollars from legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational purposes. But that is how i feel. I bet that there are a lot of people here who know of someone or famiy who has suffered much because of drugs.

csm
12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
personally I've stayed away from heroin because of a fear of needles.

54ny77
12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
pulling a completely unsubstantiated conclusion out of my ass, i think the issues surrounding alcohol & tobacco use/abuse dwarf those of doobie.... :)

but hey, this is the serotta forum, and unless they start using hemp fiber to bind steel, carbon or bamboo tubes, i won't comment further... :beer:

The problem I have with legalizing marijuana is that I really believe it leads to harder drugs for many. It did for Steve Earle (heroin). He served time in jail for that and also for weapons. Besides, the social costs of providing money for good schools, navigatable roads, cultural events, etc., our compassion and tax dollars are then required to subsidize the costs of medical care, reimbursement of injured victims, court costs and incarceration of the druggies, plus also treatment for their rehabilitation. I know that not all marijuana smokers are criminals and will not become junkies, and that we could also use tax dollars from legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational purposes. But that is how i feel. I bet that there are a lot of people here who know of someone or famiy who has suffered much because of drugs.

csm
12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
this is one of those off topic/on topic that drives people nuts....

missy giove... cyclist... so on topic
drug bust.... off topic
saratoga springs....on topic...

rounder
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
pulling a completely unsubstantiated conclusion out of my ass, i think the issues surrounding alcohol & tobacco use/abuse dwarf those of doobie.... :)

but hey, this is the serotta forum, and unless they start using hemp fiber to bind steel, carbon or bamboo tubes, i won't comment further... :beer:

You are entitled to your opinion. It was close to home for me and i had to deal with the family member problem for about 10 years.

pbjbike
12-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Ray
12-23-2009, 06:21 AM
The problem I have with legalizing marijuana is that I really believe it leads to harder drugs for many. ............. I know that not all marijuana smokers are criminals and will not become junkies, and that we could also use tax dollars from legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational purposes. But that is how i feel. I bet that there are a lot of people here who know of someone or famiy who has suffered much because of drugs.
Just too big a leap of logic for me. Its not just that "not all" pot smokers go onto harder drugs and end up in trouble - its that the huge and vast majority of them don't. Everyone I knew in high school and college (with literally a small handful of exceptions) smoked pot. Most smoked LOTS of pot. Very few went on to have problems with drugs. Out of my fairly large group of friends and acquaintances, one developed bigger problems later (and it was pretty clear he was headed for trouble before we'd even heard of pot). I would say only a slightly smaller percentage of people who started off drinking milk as babies went on to a life of drug abuse and crime, but I don't consider milk a gateway drug either.

I do know people with serious drug problems. Its really ugly. But most of them got there via a booze pathway, not pot. They were/are alcoholics and kept looking for a bigger and better buzz. Harder drugs and booze have the whole addiction thing in common. Pot isn't on that spectrum. Not even close.

To get back on topic, I've found that riding isn't great on either pot or booze. Psychedelics are a different question. :eek: I remember one very long day of mushroom fueled riding and stopping and riding and stopping with a really nice girl in college that was absolutely stellar! The riding wasn't the point, but it was pure poetry.

-Ray

jpw
12-23-2009, 06:29 AM
"...but your honour, carbon frames are so light. It was just ballast!".

OtayBW
12-23-2009, 07:52 AM
To get back on topic, I've found that riding isn't great on either pot or booze. Psychedelics are a different question. :eek: I remember one very long day of mushroom fueled riding and stopping and riding and stopping with a really nice girl in college that was absolutely stellar! The riding wasn't the point, but it was pure poetry.1970: Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter against the Padres while tripping.

According to Ellis, "The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't,"

"I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate."

Yep. Makes me feel a little nostalgic...

But this is what really takes the cake, IMO: http://www.drugpolicy.org/statebystate/newyork/rockefellerd/

paczki
12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Just too big a leap of logic for me. Its not just that "not all" pot smokers go onto harder drugs and end up in trouble - its that the huge and vast majority of them don't. Everyone I knew in high school and college (with literally a small handful of exceptions) smoked pot. Most smoked LOTS of pot. Very few went on to have problems with drugs. Out of my fairly large group of friends and acquaintances, one developed bigger problems later (and it was pretty clear he was headed for trouble before we'd even heard of pot). I would say only a slightly smaller percentage of people who started off drinking milk as babies went on to a life of drug abuse and crime, but I don't consider milk a gateway drug either.

I do know people with serious drug problems. Its really ugly. But most of them got there via a booze pathway, not pot. They were/are alcoholics and kept looking for a bigger and better buzz. Harder drugs and booze have the whole addiction thing in common. Pot isn't on that spectrum. Not even close.

To get back on topic, I've found that riding isn't great on either pot or booze. Psychedelics are a different question. :eek: I remember one very long day of mushroom fueled riding and stopping and riding and stopping with a really nice girl in college that was absolutely stellar! The riding wasn't the point, but it was pure poetry.

-Ray

Everyone who deals meth drank milk at some point. Milk is a gateway. Ban milk :banana: :banana: :banana:

CNY rider
12-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Everyone who deals meth drank milk at some point. Milk is a gateway. Ban milk :banana: :banana: :banana:

Breast or bovine?

paczki
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Breast or bovine?

Both. Chocolate too. Oh, and water. :beer:

JMerring
12-23-2009, 08:35 AM
notwithstanding what the government says, pot is not a drug. it is an herb (don't be comparing it to tobacco, heroin or cocaine for the plants from which those are derived are very different than the final product, which is the complete opposite of pot). it is 1,000,000,000,000,000 more times LESS pernicious than either alcohol or tobbaco. it is 100% NOT physically addictive and only very mildly psychologically addictive (this is NOT an unsbustantied assertion). you would be surprised by the number of highly intelligent, highly accomplished, highly stable and highly succe ssful people who use it, copiously and regularly, and without resort to things like cigarettes, alcohol or 'real' drugs like heroin and cocaine. legalizing pot would free up resources to prosecute things and people that are actually bad, not to mention revenues that could be generated from its taxation and a whole industry (with jobs) that would be created.

this is not to in any way ignore the very real dangers of drug addiction and the heartache it causes (i have seen it firsthand), but pot is not the cause. it is high time the government allowed 'real' research to be conducted as to pot's health benefits (and lack of significant health risks) so that it may be legalized. that alcohol and tobacco are both legal, and pot isn't, is an absurdity.

OldDog
12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm with the Elephantman...roll one up buddy and let s go ride!

avalonracing
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
JMerring- Let me guess. You like pot. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you though that it is absurd that tobacco and alcohol are legal and pot is not. Me, I think the world would be a fine place without any of them but that isn't going to happen so I'm for having things legal but having zero tolerance for driving, flying, boating, performing dentistry, surgery, haircutting, building, surveying, servicing, customer servicing etc. under the influence.

JMerring
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
JMerring- Let me guess. You like pot. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you though that it is absurd that tobacco and alcohol are legal and pot is not. Me, I think the world would be a fine place without any of them but that isn't going to happen so I'm for having things legal but having zero tolerance for driving, flying, boating, performing dentistry, surgery, haircutting, building, surveying, servicing, customer servicing etc. under the influence.

let's just say i ascribe to the following: a friend with weed is a friend indeed.

i completely agree about no driving/flying/boating/performing professional services under the influence. this applies irrespective of whether the influence is alcohol, drugs (presription or otherwise) or pot.

McQueen
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
You can debate whether pot should be legal, or how aggressively we should prosecute the end user.

But what was it? 200 -400 pounds?

She could have never touched the stuff, and stilll be guilty - It was the enterprise she was involved in that was completely illegal.

In a parallel world where pot is legal, does anyone really think she would have been involved in the LEGAL enterprise of marijuana transportation?

She chose this as a quick way to make a lot of money - it could have been anything, just happened to be pot.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM
She chose this as a quick way to make a lot of money - it could have been anything, just happened to be pot.

. . . Yep!

If pot was legal the price would drop and she would have just found something else--most likely also illegal--with which she could have made some quick cash. Sounds to me like she's getting exactly what she deserves.

BBD

54ny77
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM
She should have stuck with the bike industry as a way to make a small fortune...after starting out with a larger one... :p

jpw
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
You can debate whether pot should be legal, or how aggressively we should prosecute the end user.

But what was it? 200 -400 pounds?

She could have never touched the stuff, and stilll be guilty - It was the enterprise she was involved in that was completely illegal.

In a parallel world where pot is legal, does anyone really think she would have been involved in the LEGAL enterprise of marijuana transportation?

The big concern for the authorities is the tax avoidance of the enterprise. The medical implications for users is way down their list of priorities.

rwsaunders
12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
The big concern for the authorities is the tax avoidance of the enterprise. The medical implications for users is way down their list of priorities.

....and the fact that people are willing to kill to get the drugs to the consumer. Click on the linked map which indicates the drugs of choice in your state, as well as describes the most likely sources and related crimes involved.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/state_factsheets.html