PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switched from LeWedges to internal wedges

dekindy
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Anyone switched from LeWedges to internal shims like the Specialized Body Geometry Shims? Have experience using the Spec BG shims? EDIT: I am talking about the 2 pairs of varus and 1 pair of valgus shims that come with the insoles/footbeds that are a standalone product, not the varus wedge adjustment that is built into the Specialized shoes. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42079

My LBS e-mailed me that they have a product like the Spec BG shims but I have not seen it.

I am considering switching because the shims would line up perfectly and I would not have to worry about keeping LeWedges aligned when I replace or adjust my cleats. My concern would be that I might not want all that bulk inside my shoe.

My existing shoes are tight with the shims installed. I might be able to ride them a short distance to get a sense of whether I would like the internal shims. I am considering new shoes and would have to buy bigger shoes to accomodate the shims. Obviously I would not want to buy bigger shoes if I don't like the internal bulk of the shims.

znfdl
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I got the specialized shoes and have never looked back. For me the shoes with the shim built in fit me perfectly.

jimcav
06-16-2009, 11:09 AM
I got the specialized shoes and have never looked back. For me the shoes with the shim built in fit me perfectly.

I think the OP is talking about the BG inserts that go under the insole?
I never used mine, but have them (came with my s-works shoes) and every once in awhile i get a hot ball of the foot (century rides), but since i can ride through it I never really mess with my set up.

so i'd also be curious if anyone played with them

tab123
06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I too switched to the Specialized insoles with the internal wedges. I am happy I did. They are easy to install, and I have no more issues clipping in or out as with the external wedges. I did move up 1/2 size in shoes, but my shoes were feeling a bit tight already.

Steve-O
06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I got the specialized insoles in Shimano shoes with roughly 250 miles in them. This was my first use of shims (no LeWedges) thus my feedback might be taken with a grain of salt...

I was off the bike with too much work travel in the winter and spring. To get ready for race season I was rushing the base miles and some intervals which led to pain under the knee (self diagnosed chondromalacia?). I have had this in the past thus I tried raising the saddle. It helped but the pain was still there.

The next step was to try the Specialized insoles. They fit very nicely into my Shimano shoes with no trimming. I could feel a slight adjustment in my leg and ankle angles but nothing that I could detect visually. The first ride was 55 miles with roughly 1K climbing - No knee pain. This was followed up with a week of commuting to work and some mountain biking. Again no knee pain.

I have roughly 2 weeks on the shims now. I can't really give much more feedback other then that the shims have been pretty undetectable and the knee pain is gone. I do appreciate the fact that there are two of the Varus shims in the Specialized kit. One went into my primary road shoe and one into my MTB shoes. All and all pretty simple to set up and use. I would say worth it to try out if you are having issues...

NOTE - They do take up some extra space in the shoe. I attribute some of this to the new foam insole over the shim. I suspect as the foam packs down the spacing will get better... Not a big issue for me. The initial tightness was equivalent to wearing a thicker sock versus a thin cycling sock...

znfdl
06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Jim:

You are correct, I was just mentioning that the specialized body comp shoes have a varus wedge built into the shoe, therefore no need for wedges.

cmg
06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Jim:

You are correct, I was just mentioning that the specialized body comp shoes have a varus wedge built into the shoe, therefore no need for wedges.

Have the comp shoe with the wedge. prefer the shims that go under the cleat. i need that on my right foot but not my left. it's taken a while to get use to it.

Moontrane
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I used the Lemon Wedges (heh) for over a year and found the under-sole wedge to be better. I’ve got a forefoot issue, so it’s just not necessary to tilt my entire foot.

Here's (http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=In+The+Shoe+Wedges&vendorCode=BIKEFIT&major=5&minor=6) another brand of under-sole wedge.

dekindy
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

Peter P.
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I tried the LeWedges. They're a pain because you have to keep them lined up with the cleat when you adjust the cleat position. I'm also not confident they actually tilt the cleat because that would require some built-in play in the cleat to bolt interface and the shoe/cleat/pedal manufacturers don't consider the consumer is going to use tilt shims.

Then yes; I bought the Body Geometry shims for my non-Specialized shoes. They're easy to work with as no cleat unbolting is involved. That makes them very friendly to experiment. They don't seem to slide around in the shoe, though I have taped them down with duct tape; not a problem. They also have trim lines on them so you can cut them down if necessary to fit your particular brand shoe. Definitely the better of the two choices. Buy the insoles just to get the shims; you won't be disappointed. You won't be disappointed in the insoles either.

happycampyer
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
When I got a pair of Specialized shoes, I found that the built-in varus cant of the shoes helped my right leg/knee alignment, but threw my left leg out of whack. When I tried the BG in-shoe wedges to un-cant the left shoe, there was plenty of room in the toe box but it made my left foot go to sleep. I have been using the Lewedges on the left shoe without any problems. YMMV.

dekindy
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
When I got a pair of Specialized shoes, I found that the built-in varus cant of the shoes helped my right leg/knee alignment, but threw my left leg out of whack. When I tried the BG in-shoe wedges to un-cant the left shoe, there was plenty of room in the toe box but it made my left foot go to sleep. I have been using the Lewedges on the left shoe without any problems. YMMV.

I am in the same situation as you are except my left leg is already out of whack so the built-in varus cant will make it even worse.

I was going to pass looking at the Specilaized shoes but I think I will look at them now since you have had success. I think a couple of Valgus shims inside the left shoe will work.