PDA

View Full Version : SRAM 1070 cassette

bkboom123
06-15-2009, 07:01 PM
I got the DA 7800 running on the new bike.....but I am using a SRAM 1070 cassette because I got a great deal on a new one. It just seems "slow" or choppy to me. Is it just me making this up in my head because the cassette is so loud?

do you other shimano or sram people out there have similar feelings?

slowandsteady
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Dunno - I jus put a SRAM 1070 on some neuvation wheels and all seems fine to me...actually loving the setup after todays ride. Just have to tune the derailleur(s) now...

Bob Ross
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
After 2.5 or 3 years of running Shimano cassettes I recently switched to a SRAM 1070. For the 5 minutes that I used it with a Shimano chain I thought "this thing sucks" but as soon as I put a SRAM chain on it it instantly became the quietest, smoothest-shifting drivetrain my bike had ever experienced. Been using the SRAM cassette/chain combo for about 4 months now; doubt I'll ever go back.

android
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I got the DA 7800 running on the new bike.....but I am using a SRAM 1070 cassette because I got a great deal on a new one. It just seems "slow" or choppy to me. Is it just me making this up in my head because the cassette is so loud?

do you other shimano or sram people out there have similar feelings?

We use a PG on our tandem and it is quite fine with a Wipperman chain. I've heard the OG model is noisy. Do you know which one you have?

bkboom123
06-16-2009, 07:52 AM
this is the OG model...

slowandsteady
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I too am using the OG model and it is noisy...thought my rear D was just out of "tune' but the 1070 OG 12-28 and a Shimano chain is noisy!

Also noted what feels like a "gap" in the gearing btwn cogs 6&7 when in the front 53 chainring...have yet to count the teeth to see why it feels like this. When in the bigger cog I have to spin "too much" and then jump down one cog (smaller) and I have to push to much.

Sounds like a Whipperman or SRAM chain will fix the annoying noise...