PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 chain tool

Dan Le foot
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi gang.
New Campy 11 Record Group is on order for Michelle. She's still working. :beer:
I hate to buy another chain tool. I used the Park chain tool on the Campy 10 just fine. Had to be careful but I avoided the cost of the having to buy the Campy 10 tool.
So can I use my Park tool on the Campy 11 chain?
Also is any one making connector links for Campy 11 yet?
Thanks
Dan

Jeff N.
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
No, and no. Dan, just take it to a reputable shop (that has the tool) and have them install the chain. Save some coin. I took mine to Big Ring Cyclery in La Mesa. He's got the tool, did a fine job. Did it while I waited. Jeff N.

Dan Le foot
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jeff..
I may have to do that. I don't want to bugger up her chain. I'll never hear the end of it.
But I have done well in the last few years learning how to be self sufficient. We buy and sell too many framesets to pay the LBS to build them up each time.
Dan

Jeff N.
06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Certainly if you're going to be removing/installing several Campy-11 chains, by all means invest in the tool. Personally, I won't be doing that enough to justify the expense. Good luck! Jeff N.

Dave
06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
The new joiing pin must be flared at the right end to hold it in place. No 10 speed tool will do that. I have seen examples of cheap old chain tools modified just for the purpose of performing the flaring operation.

As for master links, I'd try the SRAM 10 powerloc. I'm using the no-longer-made Wipperman 10S1 on one of my chains. I recently tried a Forster superlink model 4 that has the same dimensions, but it clicks every time it goes around the cogs, particularly in the larger ones.

merckx
06-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I would recommend purchasing the 11 speed chain tool if you do your own mechanical work. If the price puts you off, just consider the tool as one of the components of the 11v group.

Jeff N.
06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Knowing Campy, they'll probably come out with a new and improved chain this time next year or two that won't need this expensive tool, or maybe one that comes with a new link or something. Then we'll own another obsolete, expensive Campy tool. I already own one or two now!
I understand Forster is working on an 11-speed link that'll be available before too long. Jeff N.

frenk
06-17-2009, 08:32 AM
You could also build your own:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49408&start=33

Vancouverdave
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I bought one; I have a bike repair business and exact an 11-speed chain surcharge when assembling bikes with new Campag groups--hey, at what the retail price would be, darned few consumers will be buying that tool. Doesn't mean I like the idea of a non-field serviceable chain. My own vote for a "master link" is KMC. Their 5.88 mm link is the best joining solution for all 10 speed chains and an 11 speed version would be welcome. Hopefully Shimano and SRAM will recognize 11 speeds as the one gear too many and not follow Campag down this hole.

fourflys
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Dan,
I just had Ron at Rose Canyon Cycles build up a frame with Chorus 11 and he has the chain tool, it is a thing of beauty...
Chris

fourflys
06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I bought one; I have a bike repair business and exact an 11-speed chain surcharge when assembling bikes with new Campag groups--hey, at what the retail price would be, darned few consumers will be buying that tool. .

seriously? a surcharge? I'd say having to buy one is just the price of doing business..... :no:

moodster
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
will also work but it is not much cheaper!

Dave
06-18-2009, 09:21 AM
The Rohloff tool will not join an 11 speed chain.

caleb
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Rumor has it that Park Tool is coming out with an 11v consumer-level chain tool. I'm waiting for the Park version and patronizing my LBS in the meantime.

caleb
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
seriously? a surcharge? I'd say having to buy one is just the price of doing business..... :no:

Well, he can roll it into overhead costs and make everyone pay for it, or he can charge those who need a very expensive, very specific tool for its use. While both are reasonable, he's just choosing to go the latter route.

Saying "joining a Campy 11 chain costs $10 extra because of the tools it requires" doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me.

Jeff N.
06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Dan,
I just had Ron at Rose Canyon Cycles build up a frame with Chorus 11 and he has the chain tool, it is a thing of beauty...
ChrisRose Canyon Cycles? Blacksmith Wheels? You actually went there and they were OPEN? Jeff N. :confused:

moodster
06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
The Rohloff tool will not join an 11 speed chain.

it will!! It also flares the side! It worked on mine and has held fine!!!

moodster
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
it was confirmed by a campy rep at frostbike before I tried.

fourflys
06-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Rose Canyon Cycles? Blacksmith Wheels? You actually went there and they were OPEN? Jeff N. :confused:

Yea, Ron has some different hours... best to call before you go if it's really out of the way for you. I'll have to say though, everytime I've went by after 2 p.m., he's been there.
Chris

fourflys
06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, he can roll it into overhead costs and make everyone pay for it, or he can charge those who need a very expensive, very specific tool for its use. While both are reasonable, he's just choosing to go the latter route.

Saying "joining a Campy 11 chain costs $10 extra because of the tools it requires" doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me.

Meh, like I said, it's just the cost of running a business if you ask me... Besides, you get to write it off as a business expense anyway. I'm not sure what volume of business is done, but $300 shouldn't be that big of a purchase... At least in my opinion...

Dave
06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
it will!! It also flares the side! It worked on mine and has held fine!!!

Even my old Park tool will push the 11 speed joining pin into place. All that is required to flare the opposite side is something to support the left side of the pin and a 90 degree pointed driver on the right side, to flare out the inside of the hollow pin. I know of no other chain needing a 90 degree pointed driving pin.

If this tool is actually trying to peen the end of a regular pin, not the special joining pin, I can't imagine Campy approving that. Any pin that is removed breaks off a metal ring from one side of the pin and that side is going to be worthless after that. I would never trust a flush pin that has been repeened.

http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/Beschreibung_Revolver2.en.pdf

FWIW, I paid less for the Campy tool ($140).

nahtnoj
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Agreed. When I get my BB threads chased on HS pressed I am paying for the cost of the tool, not necessarily the time it takes to do the job.