PDA

View Full Version : Chain quick-link life

Louis
06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Last time I replaced the 9-spd chain on my everyday bike (Ultegra grade HG something or other) I tossed in a SRAM 9-spd quick link (I refuse to call it "Power Link"). As it turned out, I never had to remove the chain, but the link worked fine. Did not notice it at all while riding, and it's easier to install than the Shimano replacement pin. Over the weekend I changed the chain and because I forgot to buy a new link I just re-used the old one.

Question: Do you ever reuse a quick-link (whether it be SRAM or Wipperman or whatever) or do you replace it every time you change the chain?

TIA
Louis

rePhil
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I change the reusable link along with a chain. I have felt a roughness and had Superlinks start clicking with less than 1k on them in the past. Hopefully thats been remedied.

dave thompson
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I've re-used both the SRAM and KMC 'quick links' for a couple of years now with no issues. I do clean, inspect and lube my chains every several hundred miles so I can keep an eye on things. I don't know what would happen if the links were ignored.