PDA

View Full Version : More on shorts with no pics

benb
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Heh.. I wanted to post a follow up about shorts sizing but wanted to save folks the pleasure of looking at those giant pics.

Anyway.. I got my bib shorts from Boure, one Medium, one Large. I ended up trying the medium out for about 20 miles today..

They are fantastically comfy.. I'm convinced my other shorts (all Large) are too large. Big big difference with the smaller chamois & tighter fit in the hips. They *are* noticeably tighter.. but not so much that I noticed.. whereas I did notice a hell of a lot more comfort on the saddle.

I am curious how long people wear their shorts though. If there is anything about these that is weird to me it's that they are shorter then my other shorts.. I'm going to need time to get rid of the tan line.

Looking at pics from racing, etc.. it appears most of my others are pretty darn long and most people are showing more leg... (I think it is a good sign that I didn't notice this in 10 years of riding with other people)

If they could make me some with about 1" more length in the legs be in heaven.

No one ever talks about this subject cause it's a bit odd.. Wade at Boure had said the thing to look for is the smallest size that bunches up and wrinkle in the back when you are off the bike.. and then when you get on the bike and bend forward all the slack & wrinkles dissappear.

William
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I take it you don't like my Silver Raphas. :butt: Fine, I'll take them across the hall where manly men will appreciate them. ;) :p :D (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

William

PS: Glad you found some you like. :cool:

rugbysecondrow
06-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I have never thought that hard about shorts whether for riding or triathlons aside from if they are comfy and they fit (I always just have to beware where the seams are. I learned that little nugget of info the hard way.)

I am not certain if the short length matters, isn't it just personal preference like with swimmers speedos and jammers? Also, maybe you have miniature legs so the normal sized shorts look too long on you.

I always just have to beware where the seams are. I learned that little nugget of info the hard way.

rnhood
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
It may not only be personal preference. The Aquablades, Fastskins and other top shelf swimming jammers are advertised to exhibit lower drag than bare skin - much the same as the modern one-piece tri suits exhibit lower drag. Muscle support is a second reason for longer bib shorts, jammers, etc. Whether there is much merit in muscle support is debatable but, its often cited as one of the reasons.

To me and you though, all of this is pretty much academic as we are not vying for olympic titles.

benb
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm only talking on the order of 1" shorter or so.

My PI shorts are clearly too long, they go down so far they are basically below the end of my quads and as such the leg grippers don't really work. My Castelli's seem about right, the Boure's are just a bit shorter.

I basically seem to need a "Medium Long". It's not short legs.. I'm tall.

Ahneida Ride
06-15-2009, 09:58 PM
What Pictures ? :D