PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay preferences?

dogdriver
06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
The Speedplay pedal post in the classifieds got me a'wonderin'-- what are the functional differences with the various Speedplay pedal models (Zero, X, light action, etc) and what do you prefer?

Dave
06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
The differences are explained at the speedplay website. The website allows you to compare different models of speedplay pedals or speedplay to other brands.

I've only used unrestricted float X style for about 10 years. The zero has float adjustment for those who want float adjustment, but the light action does not.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=roadcompare.compareroad

victoryfactory
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I am also a dedicated speedplay user
Your basic choice is between the X series
and the Zero series

The X came out first and was very well received by recreational riders
but the large float scared some racers and some traditional riders who
were used to less float.
Many love the float and get used to it quickly and consider it a knee saver.
I still use them. X2 is the best combination of price/performance IMO.

The Zero has completely adjustable float and has been accepted by quite
a few pros and racers I would guess that most racers use the zero rather
than the X because of the adjustability.

They are 2 sided, and very easy to get in and out of. The only drawbaks ar:
1: the cleats get fouled very easily, don't step in mud!
2: they are harder to walk in than some others

So it's X-2 or Zero (they look similar but are not interchangeable)
I don't really think their other models are useful to serious riders IMO

hope this helps

VF

weiwentg
06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
the X series cleats are more prone to fouling from dirt or sand than the Zeros. the latter have an improved design (the springs are flat). the X series are also a few grams lighter.

jbrainin
06-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I much prefer the X series pedals to the Zeros. I find the Zeros very difficult to engage the cleat and pedal while the X series cleats can usually be engaged effortlessly with the pedals.

djg21
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
The differences are explained at the speedplay website. The website allows you to compare different models of speedplay pedals or speedplay to other brands.

I've only used unrestricted float X style for about 10 years. The zero has float adjustment for those who want float adjustment, but the light action does not.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=roadcompare.compareroad

The cleats in the x-series wear faster. The springs are rounded in the x-series and flat in the zeros. The rounded springs develop flat sections. I've used both extensively, and prefer the zeros. I also have grown to like the ability to greatly limit float to the couple of degrees I need.

Bob Ross
06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Frogs ftw!

rounder
06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
My experience with speedplay x in stainless is that i have been riding the same pair of pedals for over 10 years with no problems (recreational rider). Before that, i had time criteriums and classiques. I keep thinking that i should try something else but then wonder what would i get. Never had pain, cleats last a long time, pedals wear forever, never worried about whether the pedal would break off in a descent at 40. To me, the design is basic but well executed.