PDA

View Full Version : We hit the Air Museum instead of a Sunday ride.

William
06-15-2009, 06:02 AM
So I passed up my ride on Sunday to go to the Quonset Air Museum with my family. It really is a fun and interesting place to visit, especially if your children are really into aircraft. There are a lot more aircraft and exhibits then I’ve posted here. Check it out if you’re in the area.

William

William
06-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Cont....

A real Top Gun training aircraft.....

William
06-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Cont...

William
06-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Cont....

William
06-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Some more....

William
06-15-2009, 06:16 AM
More and more....

William
06-15-2009, 06:17 AM
What? More?

Fun for the chillens too... :)

William
06-15-2009, 06:19 AM
And even more...

William
06-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Whew....

gdw
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
and much easier on the eyes than the shot of the Rapha Continental riders you posted elsewhere.

They have an interesting collection. Is that a De Havilland Vampire in the hanger?

Ozz
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
... Is that a De Havilland Vampire in the hanger?
That's what I was wondering and thought it was as well....

cools pics....where is the museum?

rwsaunders
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Willie...get your kids down to DC and visit the Air and Space Museum (adjacent to Dulles) to add to the fun. When Willie Jr. sees a Concorde, he'll be blown away.

William
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
and much easier on the eyes than the shot of the Rapha Continental riders you posted elsewhere.

They have an interesting collection. Is that a De Havilland Vampire in the hanger?

Yes it is. The lines of the Vampire really caught my eye. The photo below doesn't begin to convey how tight that cockpit is for two average sized humans. I don't know how they fit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6-1PUZ73ZQ&feature=PlayList&p=81C78A20FC2A9A5B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

William

PS: I wanted to wear my Silver Rapha shorts but Mrs William wouldn't allow it. :no:

William
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
That's what I was wondering and thought it was as well....

cools pics....where is the museum?

http://www.theqam.org/

Quonset Naval Air base. Also home of the Sea Bees.

William

William
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Willie...get your kids down to DC and visit the Air and Space Museum (adjacent to Dulles) to add to the fun. When Willie Jr. sees a Concorde, he'll be blown away.

Oh believe me, it's on the summer schedule....or I'll get swarmed by William Jr. and the Little Princess. :eek:

William :)

Bradford
06-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh believe me, it's on the summer schedule....or I'll get swarmed by William Jr. and the Little Princess. :eek: William :)
Also try to get to Dayton for the National Museum of the United States Airforce. I had some time to kill in southern Ohio and stopped in for 4 hours and it blew me away.

It has so many planes it becomes overwhelming.

Cinci Jim
06-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Also try to get to Dayton for the National Museum of the United States Airforce. I had some time to kill in southern Ohio and stopped in for 4 hours and it blew me away.

It has so many planes it becomes overwhelming.

I grew up in Fairborn, where Wright-Patt is. I remember going here as a kid on school field trips.

Now I go with my father as a chance to spend some quality time with him. He is an old B-52 pilot who retired when they rotated the last bombardment wing out of Wright-Patt in the 70s.

GregL
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
In my former life as a pilot, I made it a point to hit every air and space museum that crossed my path. The Smithsonian aviation museums (NASM on the mall, Udvar-Hazy, and the Garber Restoration Facility) are amazing for their breadth of historic artifacts. Sadly, the public can no longer visit the Garber facility.

However, if you want to see airplanes up close and personal, nothing compares to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton. If you go, make sure to allow a couple of days to see everything, take the bus to the Presidential and R&D galleries, and sign up in advance for the Behind the Scenes tour. For an aviation enthusiast, the Air Force Museum is the Holy Grail.

Regards,
Greg

Ken Robb
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
San Diego's Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park is very well done and worth a few hours for a visit. The Automotive Museum is right next door and 1-2 hours would be plenty there.
Not as well known is the outdoor exhibit at Marine Air Station Miramar which is free and open every day. Lots of planes from WW ll onward.

gdw
06-16-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

93legendti
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Love the Fouga- no ejection seat!!!

Here's my son in one used for jet training.

William
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Sounds like there's a trip to Ohio in the future for the William Clan. :cool:

Thank you for the tips folks.

Adam, that's great! Thank you for sharing.

William

Vancouverdave
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
If you're ever in the Portland area, don't miss Pearson Field and it's museum in Vancouver. More props than jets.

spacemen3
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
That Vampire is a trainer, hence the two-seats. Sweet jet, and I believe John Travolta owned one. The Strategic Air and Space Museum (http://www.sasmuseum.com/) outside of Omaha is also worth a visit. They have my favorite, an Avro Vulcan.

http://speedomodel.com/sac/imgp2332.jpg