PDA

View Full Version : visiting Boulder - what to do?

d_douglas
06-15-2009, 02:35 AM
It looks as though I may be visiting Boulder for a friend's wedding in early July. As this is a bit of a cycling Mecca, I would love to rent a bike and go for a ride. I am a reformed MTBer, having turned to road bikes almost exclusively as of the past five years.

That said, I think that if I have one ride there, it should be on an MTB - does anyone have suggestions on moderately challenging rides for an out of shape guy for 4 or 5 hours? I learned to MTB in Vancouver, Canada, so my skills are rusty, but they are there - somewhat technical riding is fine with me.

Also, any recommendations on where to rent a bike? I would like to try an XC FS MTB. Maybe a 29er?

If I have time and am not in too much pain post MTB ride, I would love to hit the roads for a few hours as well, but this is secxondary to MTBing, at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions!

rockdude
06-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi Douglasfriend,

The Boulder area has a little of everything for the MTBer. Most trail are going to be rocky and have lots of climbing. Within 15 miles you can do rides next to snow cover Mountains or stay near town and do fast single track through the woods. There is so much to do, that I don't know which way to lead you.

As far as Demo-ing a bike let me know which brand you want to try out and I will find the shop.

Give me the dates and I might be able to show you around if you like.

chuckred
06-15-2009, 08:06 AM
It looks as though I may be visiting Boulder for a friend's wedding in early July. As this is a bit of a cycling Mecca, I would love to rent a bike and go for a ride. I am a reformed MTBer, having turned to road bikes almost exclusively as of the past five years.

That said, I think that if I have one ride there, it should be on an MTB - does anyone have suggestions on moderately challenging rides for an out of shape guy for 4 or 5 hours? I learned to MTB in Vancouver, Canada, so my skills are rusty, but they are there - somewhat technical riding is fine with me.

Also, any recommendations on where to rent a bike? I would like to try an XC FS MTB. Maybe a 29er?

If I have time and am not in too much pain post MTB ride, I would love to hit the roads for a few hours as well, but this is secxondary to MTBing, at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions!

For sure you can find rentals in Boulder, but I don't live there so I don't know the shops. Bicycle Outfitters in Evergreen has some nice demo bikes.

There are lots of choices depending on how much time you have.

Unfortunately, I have the problem of having great trails out my front door, so rather than wasting time driving, I tend to ride the same trails over and over, so I'm perhaps not the best judge of what's around Boulder...

This forum: Mtn bike review Front Range Forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70) has lots of timely advice re: trail conditions, etc. and mentions quite a few rides that aren't far from Boulder.

If you only have a day and don't want to stress with trying to find trails and want to just enjoy a resort experience, you might try Winter Park, Breckenridge, Vail or Keystone. While they have lift served downhill riding they all have pleanty of cross country trails and you can climb to your heart's content.

If you want a group ride and the schedule fits, Team Evergreen has a great bunch of riders:Team Evergreen (http://www.teamevergreen.org/events/mountain)

Winter Park (http://www.skiwinterpark.com/index.htm)

Breck (http://gobreck.com/whattodo/summeractivities/summersportsandrecreation/biking/#)

Feel free to PM if you have other questions.

No matter what you do, you'll likely have a great time!

witcombusa
06-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Boulder Bikesmith on Arapahoe. I delt with these guys for years before I got my Breakaway travel bike. Good folks.

http://boulderbikesmith.com/rentalbikes.html

They can also give you some good ideas on where you may like to ride.

So much great cycling, both road and mtb to be had!

mistermo
06-15-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.vecchios.com/

ejh
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
hang out at the pearl street mall and people watch

gdw
06-15-2009, 01:18 PM
The mountain biking in Boulder is limited. There are some decent trails but none of them are very long. Will you have access to a car while you're visiting?

d_douglas
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I will be there from about the 3rd to the 7th. I'll fly into Denver and rent car to get there (OK, is that idiotic?) Maybe rent a bike in Denver and ride there? With my luggage?
Ha Ha!

Seriously, I will likely rent a car there. I am going as a bachelor, as my lady is otherwise occupied, so any good strip clubs, etc. are appreciated. Ha ha once again?

gdw
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
The Sourdough Trail or the trail network around Nederland offers more technical and longer rides than those around Boulder. They would be worth checking out if it ever stops raining here.

As to evening entertainment, Boulder has the Bustop and Nitro for the non-Rapha wearing crowd. :banana:

d_douglas
06-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Well, I heard from *the groom* and he said that renting a bike for the entire time would be a good idea. So, with that, I will likely take a bus (or ride - no one has gotten back to me on that one) from Denver to Boulder.

I have posted a possible ad for buying a used, cheap FS bike for the duration of my four or five days there, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Alternatively, if I am to rent in Denver itself, what shops are located conveniently to the airport (by transit or taxi) that might rent a decent bike for five days?

Thanks!

wgp
06-16-2009, 05:30 AM
When I'm in a new town I also like to see the great bike shops. Boulder has many, but Vechios cannot be missed - almost a museum in what's hanging from the walls and ceilings. Not to be missed, and right near the Pearl St Mall area. Pro Peleton has some nice eye candy too.

rockdude
06-16-2009, 07:09 AM
I would take the Bus from the airport. It leaves every hour and is almost as fast as driving. I take it all the time...

What size of bike are you looking for?

No need to go to any LBS in denver. Boulder has something like 15 or more with in 5 mile radius. Heck, Pearl street has 4 on in.

d_douglas
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I am looking for a 20" (L or XL) frame. I actually advertised to see if anyone knows of a cheap FS bike for sale, as I have seen a few decent old school ones go for $600-$700. There was an Intense Tracer for sale in Boulder Craigslist for $660 or something and it seemed a bit dated, but nice, if it is in good working order.

Otherwise, I would just rent any decent bike for the duration of my visit to Boulder.

Thanks again for all details!

ejh
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
the devils backbone up here in Loveland is a great trail, and you can ride up to Horsetooth park and Lory state park. 50 + miles if you want, did it many times training for Leadville.

RBaker2778
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Make sure you get a burrito from Illegal Pete's. Best burrito I have ever had bar none.

d_douglas
06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I cannot wait! Burritos immediately before a punishing ride - let's see what happens....

d_douglas
06-17-2009, 04:39 PM
OK, I just booked my flight and am on my way in two weeks!

Does anyone have great suggestions for where to stay? I want to do this on the cheap. I would be happy with the hostel, but they cannot guarantee rooms for more than one night - seems whacked out and I don't want to be stuck walking around Boulder on my second night without a place to stay.

Any other ideas?

Also: best shop to rent a bike from? An Ericksen FS bike? Ha ha?

Seriously, anything decent will be fine with me.

Thanks.

rockdude
06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
OK, I just booked my flight and am on my way in two weeks!

Does anyone have great suggestions for where to stay? I want to do this on the cheap. I would be happy with the hostel, but they cannot guarantee rooms for more than one night - seems whacked out and I don't want to be stuck walking around Boulder on my second night without a place to stay.

Any other ideas?

Also: best shop to rent a bike from? An Ericksen FS bike? Ha ha?

Seriously, anything decent will be fine with me.

Thanks.

I don't know of any cheap places to stay in Boulder. Cheap and Boulder don't fit into the same sentence. Here are some places to start with. These are locally owned places. No motel 6's here...

Boot of The Mountain lodge. -half a mile from pearl street next to fine park and Boulder Creek

Silver Saddle- Next to Boot of the Mountain

University Inn- 1/3 of a mile from Pearl street on Broadway.

Boulder Mountain lodge- About 2 1/2 miles from pearl street. This is up Boulder canyon and right on 4-mile. and 200 yard. I bet this has the best rates but if you plan on riding up Boulder Creek path at night you will need a light. Be careful, there are Mountian lions out there and maybe a few bears but the bears will not brother you. I live about 1/4 from there.

For bike rental the least expensive place that I know of is boulder bike smith but If you want to try higher end bikes from other shops it will cost you something like $50-$70 per day. Pick a brand and I will lead you to the right place. Sorry I can't help you with a Ericksen FS. But Vecchios has a Moot Cinco. I have one of these and it just doesn't get any better.

John...

scrooge
06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
...If I am to rent in Denver itself, what shops are located conveniently to the airport..

Now that's funny...

d_douglas
06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I rented a Fisher Hi Fi 29er FS frame - why the hell not? I don't love Fishers, but he is a smart designer and I am sure this'll be a blast!

Thanks for your suggestions.