PDA

View Full Version : Assos Uno S5 bibs vs. other Assos models?

sbornia
06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Do any of you have first-hand experience with the new Assos Uno S5 bibs? For example, how does the lycra or the pad compare with those of the Mille S5...or, even, better, the old F.13 S2?

Today I saw the Mille S5 in the LBS. Looks nice. The pad appears to be slightly thicker than the old F.13 S2's, which I've really enjoyed wearing the last few years. Cannot rationalize the F.13 S5, so I'm looking into the two cheaper options. Have not been able to check out the Uno in person yet, so any info you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ahumblecycler
06-15-2009, 06:33 AM
I tried the S2 and while the fit was tight, the chamois gave me a good 50 or miles. Since, I have tried the S5 mille and I did not like the pad ... it felt to dense and similar to sitting on a phone book (don't ask). I preferred the S5 Uno ... it was a nice overall everything.

I like the new dimples and the huge coverage of each short. I did not like the braces in the mille, which may be due to me moving around the CX alot.

znfdl
06-15-2009, 07:39 AM
I have all three S5 models.

Order of preference, would be the high end short, uno and the mille.

The mille pad is a little too thick even for long rides. The high end short is amazingly comfortable for a double century. For shorter rides, up to 100 miles the Uno is just fine. The UNO has started to be my commuting short.

The lycra feels like you are not wearing anything and is extremely comfortable. For me an inprovement over the last model.

dekindy
06-15-2009, 09:06 AM
The Roadbikerider.com guys recently reviewed the F1 Mille shorts and gave them only 3 out of 5 stars. Their impression was that the shorts were well made from top notch materials. However the pad was described as flat and bulky and undersized and they had to be certain to recenter it all the time or it did not cover adequalely. They had some other good things to say but overall they were definitely not blown away by this model.

jt2gt
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I have all three S5 models. . .

znfdl -- I have the top model F.13 S5, but none of the others. Have you noticed that the lycra on the sit area is more slippery than the older S2 version? I find myself slidding around the saddle more....Is it the same way on the Mille S5 and the Uno S5?

I am looking for another S5 pair, but not sure whether to get the Mille or Uno...are you saying the Uno is most like the F.13 of the two.

JT

znfdl
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
znfdl -- I have the top model F.13 S5, but none of the others. Have you noticed that the lycra on the sit area is more slippery than the older S2 version? I find myself slidding around the saddle more....Is it the same way on the Mille S5 and the Uno S5?

I am looking for another S5 pair, but not sure whether to get the Mille or Uno...are you saying the Uno is most like the F.13 of the two.

JT

The Uno has the most similar feel of the F.13. I think that the F13 definitely has the slickest lycra. The mille has too bulky of a pad for my taste. Did a double metric on the Uno this weekend and they felt great.

kgreene10
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
znfdl -- I have the top model F.13 S5, but none of the others. Have you noticed that the lycra on the sit area is more slippery than the older S2 version? JT

Yes, I have the S5 and it does slip a bit. Other than that, it's really nice. The pad never moves and the lycra is really smooth.