PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne floor pump

thwart
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Now have had mine for a couple of months or so. Looks like artwork and works very, very well. Gauge appears accurate within 2-3 psi when checked with a high quality hand unit. Head is easy to apply, stays on, and comes off nicely without air loss.

An impressive piece, to say the least.

dekindy
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I am impressed with all their products. I have one of their hand pumps and would buy their floor pump, bags, and bottle cages if I needed them. Since I have a working floor pump, ICS bag, and King stainless steel cages I don't need them at the moment. The cages are designed to hold their pumps.

Starting from scratch they would definitely be at the top of the list. Doesn't the owner have a bicycle industry background, i.e. sold a very successful company and then started Lezyne. Was it FSA?

jbl
06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Doesn't the owner have a bicycle industry background, i.e. sold a very successful company and then started Lezyne. Was it FSA?

Blackburn, I believe.

GuyGadois
06-14-2009, 10:31 PM
They are a San Luis Obispo based company. The guy sold his company Truvativ to SRAM and started Lezyne after his contract allowed it.

-GG-

rsa
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
I have been interested since I have had issues with the JoeBlow Pro floor pump. Is it the CNC Floor Drive, Alloy Floor Drive, Classic Floor Drive or the Steel Floor Drive? Does it have the Flip-Thread Chuck? Thanks in advance.

thwart
06-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Mine is this one: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-LZSFLDPB.html

Although it looks like the models with the metal chuck/head are even more desirable... for $10 to $20 more. Of course, no way to be sure about durability yet (although I do use mine several times a week), but at this point I have no reason to think the standard chuck will fail early.

The thing is just a pleasure both to use and look at. :banana:

dogdriver
06-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah. I have their frame mini-pump. Nice look, great function. I dig the flex hose -- no more ripped valves!

dekindy
06-15-2009, 09:06 AM
They are a San Luis Obispo based company. The guy sold his company Truvativ to SRAM and started Lezyne after his contract allowed it.

-GG-

That is it, thanks.

thugly
06-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I have the classic floor pump, the one with the alloy flip-thread chuck (one way for Presta, unscrew, flip, and rethread for Schrader). It's excellent.

I have a Pressure Drive hand pump on order. It's got a hose and the same chuck as the floor pump. I greatly prefer hand pumps with a hose, as I have destroyed a couple few valve stems trying to get my tire up to pressure.

Lezyne make great pumps, and they're not much more than Topeak/Blackburn/Axiom etc etc.

tmanley
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I really wanted to like their soft wallet, but alas it didn't work out. The watertight pocket for the phone was oriented the wrong way to accept my iPhone. I sent them some feedback and it sounds like they are going to be coming out with another model that will accomodate larger PDA phone devices. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of everything they've put out.

jlwdm
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I would not recommend their tire levers. Too small to hold onto.

When they first were announcing products I emailed them as to where I could buy them and a few other questions and never got a response.

Glad to see some of their products are good.

Jeff

hoss
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Ditto what everyone has said on the floor pumps. I did some homework after my Blackburn died and decided to give the "Classic" model a try. I'm quite impressed by it. The metal chuck is very solid and threads nicely to the stem The pump piston is very smooth and not at all sloppy feeling. Great base, handle and gauge. Two thumbs up. :beer:

benb
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Has anyone had one over a year?

No matter which pump I try the air gauge always seems to lose accuracy long before anything else in the pump breaks.

Then I am back to using a separate air gauge which makes it take a little longer every day to get out on the road..

Currently using a Specialized Air Tool Pro. The pressure gauge started reading 10-15psi high like 2 months out of warranty. :( (The error seems to vary)

If these are truly reliable the price is right and I'd give one a try.

Michael Maddox
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
+1 on the CNC'ed Lezyne Floor pump.

The only issue I've had is with unthreaded valve extenders, eg, those on my Edge 2.68 wheelset. You have to hold the head on, and it's NOT an easy task. Otherwise, this is my favorite pump for every other normally-threaded valve.

fourflys
06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I have been interested since I have had issues with the JoeBlow Pro floor pump.
Curious, what was your issue with the Joe Blow? I'm on my second and have to take it back to REI due to a head that leaks (same issue as first pump).
sorry to get a bit OT...

DHallerman
06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
One unusual thing about the Lezyne packaging that I have not been able to figure out. Perhaps someone can help:

The bracket for the Pressure Drive minipump is attached to the cardboard insert (detail sheet) with two phillips head screws and nuts.

The usual way most bike parts are attached to their cardboard insert is with zip ties.

Now, two screws/nuts are not costly, of course. But multiplied over thousands of minipumps, that method is certainly more expensive than plastic zip ties.

And -- in case you haven't seen this -- these screws are not the right size for attaching the minipump's bracket underneath a water bottle cage (the typical install).

So, does anyone know why Lezyne is wasting money like this on screws/nuts?

Dave, who says the packaging might look incrementally cooler than if the company used zip ties but cannot imagine someone NOT buying the pump if plastic ties had been used instead

mike p
06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Never seen them in person but there floor pumps look very nice, quality stuff. If my 23 year old super pista ever wears out I'm going to buy one.

Mike

cleavel
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I've been interest in the Lezyne floor pumps with the metal heads that thread on to the valve stem for one particular reason. I have yet to find an acceptable solution to pumping up a tire on a disc wheel. The Silca crack pipe is pretty much a two-person operation -- one to hold the head on the valve stem, another to pump.

My question is whether or not the metal head on a Lezyne can fit into the small opening on an older Zipp disc?

TIA.

Grant McLean
06-15-2009, 10:28 PM
My question is whether or not the metal head on a Lezyne can fit into the small opening on an older Zipp disc?

TIA.

Silca makes a 90 degree presta hose head for disc wheels,
and it doubles as a hash pipe!

-g

ewwhite
06-16-2009, 05:39 AM
Here's a nice disk wheel and overall elegant solution...

Hirame locking pump head - $70
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/3584534516_eeb1b21580.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/3583726477_61473c5dd1.jpg

cleavel
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello Grant,

The Silca adapter is what I already have and it works inconsistently at best.

Hi ewwhite,

That looks like it will do the trick. Do you have any photos of it in use with a disc wheel? Also, I did a search on Google and there are only two online shops in the US that sell it and I am not familiar with either of them. Do you know of any reliable sources?

ClutchCargo
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
but how does the Lezyne head attache to a non-threaded valve (or extender) is this not a problem with Tufo-type valve extenders?

also, I'm happy to hear that the gauge seems to be accurate -- does anyone have feedback on use of a floor level gauge. my current pump (close to 10 year old Joe Blow that is about to bite the dust) has the gauge mounted up by the handle, which I've always liked. thanks, all.

ewwhite
06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello Grant,

The Silca adapter is what I already have and it works inconsistently at best.

Hi ewwhite,

That looks like it will do the trick. Do you have any photos of it in use with a disc wheel? Also, I did a search on Google and there are only two online shops in the US that sell it and I am not familiar with either of them. Do you know of any reliable sources?

Ben's Cycle is a trusted source. I was using that adapter for my regular wheels in that photo, but it was designed with disk and aero wheels in mind.

bobscott
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I love pumps in general and think these are beautiful pumps (although I still lust for a Superpista Supreme, the chromed top guaged version of the Superpista).

Has anyone looked at the internal parts of the Lezyne pumps? What sort of pumpwasher do they use, leather or o ring?

I was surprized that they did not include a pump washer in the list of replacement parts. One of the real advantages of the Silca floor pumps is the readily available spare parts.

bobscott

paczki
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Silca makes a 90 degree presta hose head for disc wheels,
and it doubles as a hash pipe!

-g

With the Silca and appropriate extras you have the makings of one awesome power hitter!