PDA

View Full Version : CDA and Build Up

mdeeds71
01-07-2005, 06:56 PM
I am looking for some imput...I am buying a CDA at a rather good price...But need to keep the build inexpensive...After holiday and my finacee birthday just running low on cash...

I would rather have a great frame and middle of the raod components so that I can upgrade over a period of time...well that is the concept..

What are your thoughts on Campy Cent/Veloce vs 105/Ult(Mix)...and is the Vento wheelset a good non race wheel set???

All input greatly appreciated...Also will need a fork...input as well on that...

Mark

coylifut
01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I've seen Ultegra and Centaur groups (without hubs) for $670. It's amazing how inexpensive these mid level groups have become. As for wheels, I'd have a basic set of wheels hand built locally.

Dude
01-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I am more of a campy fan, so I would say go more towards the centaur (we are not starting a campy/shim argument - just my opinion). I like the way it feels more than the shimano, i also found it lasts a bit longer. The centaur is probably a little more expensive so if you are on the cheap, there is nothing wrong with doing ultegra (105 Front Der) and some 105/Open pro wheels. By the time that stuff wears out, you'll have plenty of money for higher end campy.

The 105/Open pro wheels will probably be a bit lighter than the ventos. Plus easily serviceable...actually, the ventos are very easy to service.

As for forks, you can't really go wrong with a Reynolds or an Easton. Good quality stuff and both of them stand behind their product. I think Chucks Bikes (even though you really should buy from a LBS) is selling the Reynolds Ouzo Comp for $120 or something cheap like that.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

yeehawfactor
01-07-2005, 08:14 PM
ultegra 10 is not going to be super expensive; going that route will allow you to upgrade piece by piece as parts wear. just a thought.

mdeeds71
01-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Where did you see the Centaur for 670...I would like to know that is what I wanted to go with...

coylifut
01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Where did you see the Centaur for 670...I would like to know that is what I wanted to go with...

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Centaur+Group+2004&vendorCode=CAMP&major=1&minor=5

the Ultegra group is $560. I've been told that they build decent wheels (very well priced) as well. However, I'll restate that hand built wheels are best aquired locally.

Dekonick
01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Having ridden ultegra, veloce, chorus - and now mostly chorus/record mix (still use centaur rear der. and centaur cassette's as they last...and I wont replace until it wears a bit more)

I prefer Campy in all categories from veloce to record. Its personal, but it just 'feels' good.

AND while you are on the excel site looking at your grouppo - consider getting one of their FSA carbon pro or carbon pro compact cranksets - dey are a good buy right now!

Tinkering with my new compact as we speak (wont install it until I get a %^# ISIS tool and some ti prep...ill prolly just get anti sieze from Advance Auto...should do the trick and its ALOT cheaper...)

Good luck!

mdeeds71
01-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Another question is if I need a tripple or standard...

Here is the situation...Living in San Jose Ca and will be doing sport type riding, no racing, haven't been on the road for a while but have been mtb in the hills...Do I gain anything with a triple or just trudge it out on the longer hills with a double but now the question is what gearing?

dirtdigger88
01-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I would say if you really have been riding the hill off road (meaning you have gone more than once in the last year or so :p ) you should not need a triple. If in doubt why not go compact- 50-34 with a 12-25 or 12-27

jason

coylifut
01-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Another question is if I need a tripple or standard...

Here is the situation...Living in San Jose Ca and will be doing sport type riding, no racing, haven't been on the road for a while but have been mtb in the hills...Do I gain anything with a triple or just trudge it out on the longer hills with a double but now the question is what gearing?

Your alternatives are a triple, standard (39x53) or a compact which has a much smaller inside chain wheel and has gear ranges that sit between a triple and a standard.

mdeeds71
01-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Opinions about Shimano Ultegra vs Campy Veloce (Just so happen to be at the same price point on Excel as a mini group)???

Performance has Record/Mavic Opens for 299 vs a set of Vento wheels 299 vs Ultegra on Open CDs 229

Looks like I can go Ultegra for 559 or Veloce 549

Also opinion on Ouzo Comp 219 vs Easton EC90 SL 188

I like 3T bar and stems but use Thompson on my MTB so I am looking at
3T sub 190 Bar w/3T Forgie stem or same bar with Thompson stem...is the Thompson seatpost a good idea as well.

I have been away from road for about 8 years so I have no clue...except what I read.

dirtdigger88
01-08-2005, 12:03 AM
check out the new thomson road stems- very nice

jason

mdeeds71
01-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Jason...
I see you are from STL...I used to live in Illinois and went to SIU 91-96...I remember a lot of MTB and road biking around that area...Went to several mtb races around some parks in STL...

Is there a shop called lankshark or something like that??? A buddy of mine went to work there years ago...

Do you foresee any probs with going Veloce on the CDA...I know the components are not up to the level of the bike but I want my road stuff to go campy unless there is some reason not to.

I use a thompson stem on my MTB...I plan on going stem and post on the road that way unless someone says there are probs with them.

weisan
01-08-2005, 06:46 AM
My experience has been mostly on eBay. One thing I can tell you sometimes sourcing individual parts will add up to be more expensive and less than what you get from a complete bike purchase on the web. Look out for those listings on ebay with mid-line components but on a so-so frame or one with less snob appeal/lesser-known brand. In those cases, the seller often settle with a lower price just to make the sale go quicker or easier. I have seen a complete bike with full Ultegra and Open Pro wheelset sold for as low as 500 bucks, NO KIDDING!!! :D

You can imagine, just the components alone or maybe even 1/2 of that are worth that much. Granted, they are in "used condition", so verify with the seller before bidding or read the "fine print" on the listing before you commit.

Sometimes, you can even strip out the parts and sell the frame/fork away to get back a bit of what you spent on the initial purchase.

Just my two cents if you care to be on the cheap like I am most of the time. ;)

weisan

hooverone
01-08-2005, 08:06 AM
For the wheelset I would recommend going to Odds and Ends and have an expert build your wheels, I recently went to my city's local expert wheel builder and I guess this town is too small but the rear wheel is out of true and I have taken it there twice to get it true but I think for him it is good enough do not waste your time with the unknown local expert go to odds and ends, that is where my next set is coming from.

I would go to someone who prides themselves on the wheels they build, not just soemthing else they do every once in a whille.

Here is the link to odds and ends.

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/

Jim

Ozz
01-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I like the way campy feels and looks, but I don't think it performs any better or worse than shimano...

That said, the pricing on campy has really shot up in the past year or so (weakness of the Dollar vs. Euro?).

I used an Ultegra group for 10+ years (still going, although I rarely ride that bike anymore) and only replaced one shifter. I think this is the best performance / value group made.

You can upgrade parts as they wear out (if they wear out) with Dura-Ace but expect it to be much more expensive, a little lighter, maybe less durable.

I have no experience with the lower levels of campy groups (below Record and Chorus).

As others have said, get the wheels built locally, lots of shops will match Colorado Cyclist pricing (especially if you buy a whole group) and they often offer "free" truing of the wheels they build.

BTW - If you are fairly strong and your knees are in good shape, you don't need a triple...you might look at a compact crankset, but that's about it.

Ahneida Ride
01-08-2005, 10:30 AM
My LBS Guru built his brother's Legend Ti with mostly Centaur.

mdeeds71
01-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Local Sant Clara/San Jose LBS is agreeing that for affordable but solid go with the Veloce but with Centaur hubs...He said that the hubs are much better...I also agree with him since I can use the newer Veloce and upgrade to Chorus over a period of time and place the parts on something else.

If you had your choice between the Reynolds Pro or the Easton EC90SL which would be a good choice for the build on this CDA...

RecordCDA
05-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Do you foresee any probs with going Veloce on the CDA...I know the components are not up to the level of the bike but I want my road stuff to go campy unless there is some reason not to.
Mark,
My first "modern" road bike was a 1998 Bianchi Eros with a mix of Mirage and Veloce components. I got a lot of use out of them riding the bike including two or three winters. I have replaced (actually my LBS did) the rear derailleur (and upgraded from 8 to 9 speed) with Mirage, and the shift levers (upgraded from Mirage to Veloce). I also replaced the brakes (replace the Mirage with Chorus--I got a deal) and when I bought my CDA (which I outfitted with full Record) I used the Record Hubs with Mavic CXP-33 rims to build the wheels (I moved the Ksyriums to the CDA). So now my mutt has something from each Campy equipment level except Centaur. I still use my Bianchi as my winter (and rain) bike so it gets beaten up a bit.

The Veloce shifters are way better than the Mirage shifters were (the benefit was way in excess of the upcharge). I imagine you won't go wrong with Veloce or Centaur.

One bit of advice. I don't know if Campy makes 9 speed stuff anymore, but make sure you at least get a 10-speed rear derailleur and shift levers. That way upgrading will be easier and if you wind up with two bikes you can swap wheels. When I upgraded my shifters to 9 speed, I should have spent the extra coin and gone 10-speed so that I could swap wheels when I need to. Oh well, live and learn.

As for the components not being up to the level of the bike, don't worry. You have a great frame and if you get a good set of wheels, you'll hardly notice. When I upgraded my Bianchi from the stock wheels (Veloce hubs and who knows what else) to Ksyrium Elites it was a HUGE improvement. The next HUGE improvement was the move to the CDA frame/F2 fork.

Enjoy it! And post some pictures when you get the bike.
-Frank

Jeff N.
05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Go to E-Bay. Ultegra-10 is a wonderful group. Between 6 and 7 bills for the whole group,(minus wheels/hubs) plus shipping. You can beat ANY Colo Cyclist or Excel price on E-Bay. Jeff N.

BarryG
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
There's an unbelievable deal on now for a complete Ultegra 10 gruppo for $749. Go to roadbikereview.com and look for the Hot Deals forum for info.

Barry

97CSI
05-03-2005, 08:46 PM
While I run a Record/Chorus mix on my CDA, I do use a Centaur crankset as it is almost as light as the Record. Ran a Centaur 10-speed group last two years and found it to be an excellent performer with zero complaints. Great gear.

For the best pricing I suggest that you call Clive (the owner) at Glory Cycles. You can google them for their address and phone number. He has always given me better pricing than Excel or any other e-tailer that I've tried. If you talk directly with Clive he generally will give you a break compared to their listed prices on the website. Especially if you put together a group, or more.

For wheels, see what Clive can hook you up with. He is a former racer (same junior team with Ullrich) and knows his s**t. And is a great guy to talk with. He can also provide all the other parts you may need other than the group (stem, bar, etc.).

If Clive doesn't have anything in wheels that strikes your fancy, get a set of Open Pro rims built up with Chorus hubs (although I would spring for Record due to the considerably better bearings) from Colorado Cycles. They do a great job and their price is hard to beat.