PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and potholes

paulrad9
06-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Assuming you can't ride around it, what's easier on wheels, hitting a pothole/bridge grating/speed bump/railroad crossing directly or bunny hopping over it?

Cheers

Ray
06-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Assuming you can't ride around it, what's easier on wheels, hitting a pothole/bridge grating/speed bump/railroad crossing directly or bunny hopping over it?

Cheers
Bunny hopping over it, assuming you MAKE it. If you bunny hop but them end up landing with your rear wheel hitting the far edge of the pothole, its hitting it harder than if you hadn't bunny hopped it in the first place. There are a number of places around here where I know what's coming and I bunny hop stuff. But when something surprises me, I'll bunny hop it only if I see it in enough time to set it up rights and make it. Otherwise I'll just try to unweight a bit as I hit it. I once tried bunny hopping a diagonal RR track at speed on a wet day and my rear wheel landed on the second track. I got real sideways real fast and how I managed not to do down I'll NEVER understand. I needed a new pair of shorts after that one.

-Ray

Peter P.
06-14-2009, 07:44 PM
From a Las Vegas odds standpoint, bunnyhopping is probably the better choice. Here's why: Bunnyhopping is a reasonably predictable behavior-you pretty much can bunny hop anytime, even when you don't need to, and you're not going to damage anything. There are too many variables when faced with the pothole; speed/size/depth/angle, and a host of other things I'm sure I missed. So if I were a betting man, I'd gamble on the bunnyhop. And you'll never know unless you try...