PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Forerunner series and cycling?

KKevin
06-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Does anyone use any model in the forerunner series for cycling. Im having trouble figuring out which one would be best. Some appear to need a foot pod while others do not although its not very clear to me. Im looking more at the 101 or 201 because of price, that and because it seems that you need the foot pos with the other models.

oldman
06-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I use the Garmin 305 model which is wrist based. Mostly used for running but use it on the bike as well (still on the wrist). Works great in either capacity. Not as fancy as the handle bar mounted models which are more cycling specific.

But for the bike it gives me the only data I'm really interested in seeing, miles per hour, distance and time. Also cool to download the data to compare routes and elevation.

No foot pod required. Don't think any of the Garmin series require a foot pod. The bike specific models, which mount on your bars, also have the ability to add cadence. Plus maps on some models.

feta99
06-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Hello there,

I can't help you with the 1 or 2 series but I do have a 405 that I use for both running and cycling and I can say that the usability of the touch bezel for a person who sweats is not very good. In general, the tap interface kind of sucks. There is a new model, 310x, which looks great for both running and cycling(easier to switch between modes too) and uses buttons instead of tap-bezel interface. If it is in your budget I would look at that one.

my 2 cents...

AC

hokoman
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
No foot pod required. Don't think any of the Garmin series require a foot pod. The bike specific models, which mount on your bars, also have the ability to add cadence. Plus maps on some models.

i use the 305 for running and cycling and aside from the crazy tanline - i am very happy with the unit... there is an optional foot pod for indoor use when the satellites can't find reception. The only gripe I have is that locating satellites at the beginning of a ride/run, sometimes it takes a long time. I personally would have gone with the 205, because I don't use the heart rate monitor and I like the blue more than the orange color. I've had mine for 2+ years and no problems.

paulrad9
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
there is an optional foot pod for indoor use when the satellites can't find reception

Try the foot pod outside and you'll be surprised how much better it is compared to GPS for tracking your pace.