PDA

View Full Version : How tight do you wear your shorts?

stackie
06-13-2009, 11:50 PM
OK,

I kind of embarrassed to ask this, but how tight does one wear cycling shorts. The reason I ask is that I am looking for a nice pair of bib knickers that won't ride up into the knee. I tried some on at the PI outlet store which were on clearance for $80. They are XL. I wear mostly L in PI shorts. These XL knickers felt fine. They just don't feel as tight as the L, but the material is also different. Will I be losing some perceived benefit of muscle compression? Will they sag eventually?

For reference, my waist is 34 inches. PI states M is 32-34, L is 35-37, and XL is 41. I can't imagine wearing medium, they'd be way too tight and besides, for crying out loud, I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. I don't wear medium.

Thanks for any opinions or personal experience that might be offered.

Jon

John M
06-13-2009, 11:55 PM
In bibs, you'll need xl at your height.

MarcusPless
06-14-2009, 12:27 AM
You might want to look at Boure (http://www.boure.com). They will make anything you want (if you need a custom size) and returns are not a problem. They're a great clothing source for larger cyclists.

--Marcus

stackie
06-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Boure has been in the back of my mind for a while. I may just go ahead and talk to them to get their opinion of whether their stock size would work for me, of if I should get a custom length.

Jon

jlwdm
06-14-2009, 05:06 AM
There have been some posts regarding bibs for tall riders across the hall this year. TooTall just buys bibs that fit in the body, cuts the straps and sews in more material. He suggests where to cut and the material to use.

Jeff

benb
06-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I just emailed back and forth with Boure this week about this.

I think the risk in getting bibs too large is that the chamois will move around under you and/or bunch up.

They told me the hip measurement is much more important then the waist measurement.. but still at 34" you'd think XL would be huge on you.

I actually ordered a pair of Medium and Large bibs from them to see which fits best. I'm 6'1", 173... based on my hips being 39", my waist being 34", they thought I was most likely to have success with the Mediums. If the medium ends up fitting well it would basically mean all the shorts I have now are too large.

scrooge
06-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I just got a set of Boures in XL--I'm a bit over 6'7" and 220 (36 inch waist). I think they fit pretty well length wise--the legs may be a little tight, but that seems to take care of itself afte the first ride. The chamois is great.
Good thing is if you get these and don't like them, they have a great guarantee.

Dekonick
06-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I think the best solution is what Josh does - find bibs that fit and then have material added to the shoulder straps. :)

I am lucky in that I fit just fine in Cdale/PI/Exteondo bibs w/o modification. If I had to I would find bibs that were comfy in the chamois area and modify the straps...It shouldn't be that expensive to find someone who can tailor them ti fit.

William
06-14-2009, 03:09 PM
How tight is too tight? What do you think of my new silver Rapha racer shorts? They make me feel like...like Cippolini getting ready for a rough night on the cobbles.....CLASSIC!!! :D

They come in Gold too....not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

http://www.superfunawesometravels.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tight-shorts.jpg

William

gasman
06-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Gowd-- William I just went blind.

You're the one on the left, correct ?

jhcakilmer
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
yeah serious, atleast shrink the pic a little, and isn't this a "family friendly" website... :p

Ahneida Ride
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

whitecda
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been thinking of going up a size. Nah... they're good.

:p

39cross
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
How tight is too tight? What do you think of my new silver Rapha racer shorts? They make me feel like...like Cippolini getting ready for a rough night on the cobbles.....CLASSIC!!! :D

They come in Gold too....not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

William
Reno 911 stylin'...

Do they make them in your size?

William
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Reno 911 stylin'...

Do they make them in your size?

I MAKE them my size! :butt:

William :D ;)

beungood
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey,I think the gold ones may just match the panels on my Hors Cat..

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
. . . on what color they are. :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

rwsaunders
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Did you say how tight should you wear your jersey?

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Did you say how tight should you wear your jersey?

I didn't give you permission to run this photo of me! :p

BBD

rwsaunders
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Dave...I was wondering when you'd spot that Poseur.

WadePatton
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
geezus, that oversize photo has the "reply" page effed up. somebuddy fix it!

and what i came here to say is i wear my shorts like a steer and brake--naturally.

and, that most rotund fellow above (lampre kit) would be effin rich as bbd if he got a nickel every time photos of him were posted. really.

BumbleBeeDave
08-10-2009, 08:42 PM

and what i came here to say is i wear my shorts like a steer and brake--naturally.

and, that most rotund fellow above (lampre kit) would be effin rich as bbd if he got a nickel every time photos of him were posted. really.

. . . because if there's one thing I ain't, it's rich! :D

BBD

William
08-11-2009, 05:33 AM

I had to post that picture in the Effin Big mode. I'm a giant and you need to see my silver Rapha shorts as close to their true glory as possible!!!!! :D :eek: ;)

William

OtayBW
08-11-2009, 07:50 AM
TMI in this thread, IMO.... :rolleyes:

JeffS
08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm roughly your size. Same height with a weight range between 180 and 210.

Large in PI is likely what I would want. My Giordana XL is too large, but wearable (forma red). In Assos, the XL seems to be the "right" size, though the XLG is only slightly bigger.

stackie
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I find I like large in PI as well. Just can't find knickers that won't ride up. A rep at PI confided in me that PI knickers don't work for him either. So, I may just go Boure custom and have them make the legs extra long with a tighter grip so that it stays down. If that doesn't do it, I'll just stick with knee warmers forever.

Enough with the stuffed sausage pics.

Please lock now, so that this thread can die a peaceful death.

Jon

rwsaunders
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I find I like large in PI as well. Just can't find knickers that won't ride up. A rep at PI confided in me that PI knickers don't work for him either. So, I may just go Boure custom and have them make the legs extra long with a tighter grip so that it stays down. If that doesn't do it, I'll just stick with knee warmers forever. Jon

Stackie...I wear a large in PI bibs, and I had the same issue with their bib knickers. I purchased a pair of Etxe Ondo bib knickers in an XL and they might be my all time favorites, in terms of fit and their chamois.

bicyclinghub.com used to carry them from what I recall.

Slave2Gus
08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
OK,

I kind of embarrassed to ask this, but how tight does one wear cycling shorts. The reason I ask is that I am looking for a nice pair of bib knickers that won't ride up into the knee. I tried some on at the PI outlet store which were on clearance for $80. They are XL. I wear mostly L in PI shorts. These XL knickers felt fine. They just don't feel as tight as the L, but the material is also different. Will I be losing some perceived benefit of muscle compression? Will they sag eventually?

For reference, my waist is 34 inches. PI states M is 32-34, L is 35-37, and XL is 41. I can't imagine wearing medium, they'd be way too tight and besides, for crying out loud, I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. I don't wear medium.

Thanks for any opinions or personal experience that might be offered.

Jon

No ghastly photos to share but I always advise on the tight side. Loose tights result in material bunching up and, if you are like me, creating rather unpleasant chafing (I am being diplomatic). I have a 31 to 32 waist and wear a small in PI. This is noticably prefered to mediums. I do wear a medium in some Euro brands as they are cut smaller.

K Bedford
08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Can't have no baggie ass.
Bibs helps with this also.
KB