PDA

View Full Version : Which Trainner

musgravecycles
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I’m in the market for a new trainer. Does anyone here have any personal recommendations? I’m kind of interested in the 1up.

http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

I want something that’s quiet and durable. Thanks

IXXI
01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Search the past posts for more info-- there was a pretty thorough thread on this very topic recently.

BTW I am a big fan of my 1up for all the reasons you're into: rock solid, and very quiet.

Andy

Kevin
01-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I am very happy with the Kurt Kinetic.

Kevin

PaulE
01-07-2005, 02:31 PM
I have been very happy with my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I think the resistance level is at least as hard as riding on the road, it's solid and stable, pretty quiet and doesn't leak. It's the only trainer I've ever owned and this will be my third winter with it.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/roadmachine.php

coylifut
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I've had mine a couple of years and highly recommend it. It's real quiet. I cart mine around a lot and it folds down nice and compact. It has a lifetime warranty as well.

Dave
01-07-2005, 03:02 PM
The adjustable resistance fluid trainer from Performance has served me well for several years. I don't use the adjustable resistance feature much. I leave mine set on a fairly high resistance setting and switch from the 12-15T cogs to vary the load. The 13 or 14T cogs exert more resistance than I can tolerate for more than a 1-2 minute interval at a low climbing cadence. The 15T is used most often.

If the reistance is cranked up even more, it can be used standing in a 53/12.

This unit has a spring loaded automatic adjustment of the force between the drive unit and the tire and it does not wear out tires. All it does is make mine shiny.

The only odd thing about this trainer is the 3-minute warm up period. After about 3-minutes of use, the resistance increases significantly to it's normal amount. Prior to that, it's lower and easily pedaled in a 12 or 13T cog. Can't explain that, but it's very consistent.

OldDog
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
The only odd thing about this trainer is the 3-minute warm up period. After about 3-minutes of use, the resistance increases significantly to it's normal amount. Prior to that, it's lower and easily pedaled in a 12 or 13T cog. Can't explain that, but it's very consistent.

I believe all fluid trainers need a "warm up" period, as my Cyclops does too.
Be it oil or silicone filled (not sure which is used) the fluid needs heat to reach it's viscosity. Anyone kow for sure what is used, I would think either would have less viscosity upon heating????

I'd rather ride the rollers. Come to think of it, I hate riding either, I'd rather sit and have a beer and some deer jerky :beer:

OldFatDog

Dekonick
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
I dont like riding rollers for more than 30 minutes - but Ill ride the computrainer for an hour and kinda (kinda...) enjoy it.

Air Jer
01-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I have the 1-UP. Now in my third season with it. I am very satisfied. :)

spiderman
01-07-2005, 05:05 PM
as long as i can watch my wife ride her trainer...
...she rides 20 minutes
so i'll ride my kreitlers for 20-30 minutes as a warm up
then ride the mahogony big yankees for 20 with her.

DfCas
01-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I bought both and ended up with the Kurt Kinetic.

The 1 UP pro's are :

smaller footprint
lighter
slightly quieter
folds easily for travel

The Kurt Road Machine pro's are

slightly more stable mounting
more realistic road feeling
longer coast down

Both are high quality products and both are better feeling to me than the Computrainer Pro I tried.

Dan Cas

Geoff
01-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I just got a 1up about two weeks ago and it can provide more resistance than I can watts. It is very well crfated and would recommend it. THey sell the Kurt as well on there web site and I think they state there cost down is longer