PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Open House

Sandy
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Assuming that there is a Serotta Open House this year, I have a few suggestions, which I realize may be totally inconsequential since the totality of decisions is done by Serotta itself. I realize that the Open House is a remarkably little portion of the totality of what Serotta is.

Suggestions:

1. Most importantly- Set a date EARLY and let Serotta dealers and the Serotta forum viewers and members know this date as soon as it is made.

2. Use some of the assets that Serotta has at its disposal:

Have some discussion groups- These are just examples:

a. Kelly Bedford on Bicycle Design
b. Bicycle Fit, by an instructor from the Serotta Fit school
c. Methodology of joining bicycle tubing- An employee from Serotta or a guest expert such as Dave Kirk or Richard Sachs or Tom Kellogg
d. Ben Serotta on the phiosophy of Serotta bicycle design and an introduction to Serotta bicycles- specific models
e. Professional Bicycle Racing- Davis Phinney or Connie Carpenter or a former or active pro
f. Bicycle frame and fork materials- Ben Serotta or Kelly Bedford
g. Supersonic Speedy Spinning with Serotta Sandy- Oh never mind!

Workshops-
a. Improving your Cycling (hands on approach)- Davis Phinney or Connie Carpenter or some establsihed pro or well known/instructor
b. Safe Group Cycling- Pacelines, double pacelines, cycling etiquette etc. by member of the forum such as Flydhest or Too Tall
c. Basic Bicycle Repairs (such as tire changing, derailleur adjustments, brake adjustments, etc.) by member of the forum

This just gives you a flavor of what I am suggesting. Serotta has undoubtedly a great deal of contacts and could really build a well followed Open House Weekend if it put its assets to work.

Respectfully,

Sandy

OldDog
01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
And how about bottomless barrels of Serotta beer :beer:

After a few gallons I could be pursuaded to buy Ottrotts for myself, my wife, my mother-in-law, my 4th grade teacher, may she rest in peace, my milkman, who actually rides, and.......Sandy, I hope to have a Serotta by summer so I can scoot up and see your race with climb, preferrably after you slurp Serotta suds...

Sandy
01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Preferably after Climb consumes a barrel of the beer. :)

Slurping Serotta Suds,

Suds Sandy

Kevan
01-07-2005, 09:54 AM
who started this thread using Sandy's moniker?! :no:

zap
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Zip has expressed interest in attending. Zip might assist Sandy with climbing and quilting. Zip might design and fabricate a quilt depicting Sandy the Billy Goat.

Kevin
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I would like to attend.

Kevin

Sandy
01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
If I don't lose a lot of weight before the Open House, I will make a quilt for Zip while she and the rest of you go riding.

Quietly Quilting Quality Quilts,

Silently Stiching Sandy

Sandy
01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Kevin wants to attend. How about Kevan? How about KKevin?

S Sandy

Sandy
01-07-2005, 10:40 AM
We could double the size of the participation at the Open House if Serotta and the forum members put their minds to it.

Mindless Mirman

hooverone
01-07-2005, 10:46 AM
If even some of the items suggested happened like Discussion with Kelly, an introduction to the fit program by one of the Instructors or Ben himself would increase the Open House attendance at least by two fold.

Those are some great ideas, although we have not even heard from Serotta they are going to have an Open House....

JIM

M_A_Martin
01-07-2005, 10:48 AM
And you want Serotta to do all this for free?

(I know, I know...there's already a fee...)

Sandy
01-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Excellent question. No, it would not be for free. There would be fees involved, perhaps as a function of how much you attended. There would be some real benefits, I believe, to Serotta- Increased exposure and hence increased sales (with Serotta Sandy receiving his normal 10 percent).

Ben Serotta, Kelly Bedford, and Serotta employees would be there anyway. The expertise that exists simply at Serotta itself could easily produce some great discussion groups and/or work shops.

Maybe Tom Kellogg would drive up from Pennsylvania or Richard Sachs would drive down from Conneticut or some other expert.

Serotta could increase their visibility to the cycling world. Perhaps a cyclist or representative from the Sierrra Nevada team could come and give a group session on professional racing as it is today.

Perhaps I could model Serotta bicycle clothing. On second hand, perhaps not.

Serotta must have contacts from over the years that would be willing to attend.

Sandy

keno
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I loved some of your suggestions in your original post. I would seriously consider coming this year if some of that was on the table. (Right now I'm on the unlikely side but would like folks to come ride the day before from chez keno regardless.)

But "[M]aybe Tom Kellogg would drive up from Pennsylvania or Richard Sachs would drive down from Conneticut or some other expert"? I think you are just about as likely to see Jacques Chirac as a guest of honor at the upcoming inauguration.

keno

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Sanford Serotta Siezures Syndrome : Symptoms and Solutions . . .

Well known area mental health professionals will conduct a hands-on seminar illuminating this little-known, yet proliferating disease that threatens to become the next pandemic.

Attendees will have the opportunity to personally inspect the brain lesions particular to the condition by peering into the ears of "Patient Zero" while Ben Serotta sticks a candle in the patient's open mouth.

Additionally, there will be a demonstration of the mania-like symptoms of this condition as Serotta wheels 2005 Serotta models past the patient, who has been strapped down to prevent injury to himself and others as the siezures occur.

;) :rolleyes: :banana: :eek:

Dekonick
01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Jacques Chirac is coming this year!?!

Cool.

dave thompson
01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Jacques Chirac is coming this year!?!

Cool.
Speaking of him.........and I'm getting a little political here........I heard on the news today the the EU, and the French in particular, are upset with the U.S. in that they believe the the U.S. is exerting too much influence in the tsunami disaster area. I don't recall a French naval battle group over there giving manpower and helicopters to deliver supplies, food, water along with millions of dollars worth of aid. Matter of fact I don't recall a French anything over there.

What's up with those guys? Can you tell I'm a little upset.

JohnS
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Everybody hates us til they need us. I haven't heard a peep out of bin Laden about all the thousands of Muslims we're saving over there.

M_A_Martin
01-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I dunno. I guess if you need a structured course, that's fine. However I've been to a couple of Serotta Open houses surfing the crowd and doing the factory tour and I can say that I've observed the following:

a. Kelly Bedford speaking on Bicycle Design: Yes
b. Bicycle Fit, by an instructor from the Serotta Fit school: Yes (heck, you can't get AWAY from people talking about bike fit!)
c. Methodology of joining bicycle tubing- An employee from Serotta: Yes (part of the tour)
d. Ben Serotta on the phiosophy of Serotta bicycle design: Yes (I think that was after a barley pop...)
e. Professional Bicycle Racing: Yes (Sat with a few racer types at the bar-b-que...get them telling stories...it isn't difficult)
f. Bicycle frame and fork materials- Ben Serotta or Kelly Bedford: Yes (see B)

Workshops-
a. Improving your Cycling: Yes
b. Safe Group Cycling: Well ok...not so much.
c. Basic Bicycle Repairs: Tire changing? Ask Smiley about that! Yes!

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2005, 08:02 PM
<<. . . Tire changing? . . . >>

Perhaps Russ could attend and teach that workshop! ;) ;) ;)

BBDave

keno
01-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Before the start of a group ride I discovered a tire had flatted over night. Being in the company of esteemed and known-to-us-all folks, a few jumped on the task, insisting they fix it for me. After several minutes of trying, but failing, to get the tire to seat correctly they found the error of their ways - they had left the nut on the threaded valve stem and the nut was on the tube side of the rim. In no way did it lessen my gratitude and affection for the Zinn brothers once they removed the stem nut and finished the job.

keno

PanTerra
01-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Speaking of him.........and I'm getting a little political here........I heard on the news today the the EU, and the French in particular, are upset with the U.S. in that they believe the the U.S. is exerting too much influence in the tsunami disaster area. I don't recall a French naval battle group over there giving manpower and helicopters to deliver supplies, food, water along with millions of dollars worth of aid. Matter of fact I don't recall a French anything over there.

What's up with those guys? Can you tell I'm a little upset.

We are the world's (9-1-1)

Sandy
01-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Please.

keno
01-08-2005, 04:16 PM
my bad.

How about banana splits for dessert?

keno

csb
01-08-2005, 08:26 PM
tra-la-la

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2005, 10:56 PM
. . . some sort of swap session (that’s bike stuff, NOT wives and/or girlfriends) sponsored by the forum for the open house, off site if the Sheriff doesn’t go for it.

We could start a thread here listing what stuff we want to get rid of, then make connections and everybody get together at a pre-set time and place on Owners Weekend to personally inspect stuff and do the deals. God knows I’ve got enough stuff I could cart the 20 miles up there. Brand new, never used Performance panniers, anyone? . . .

BBDave

keno
01-09-2005, 05:51 AM
in Sandy's case that would be click music.

keno

Sandy
01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Maybe I could swap keno and csb for a 2 cm stem.

S A N D Y

keno
01-09-2005, 07:02 AM
as a copyrighted, trademarked, uncontrolled substance, my birthright is non-transferrable. However, I will share my supercycling hint of the day: have your chain stays designed to be each of different lengths and appropriately bowed.

keno

Sandy
01-09-2005, 07:14 AM
sorry, sandy

Do you actually mean sorry, sandy or sorry sandy or sorry, sorry sandy??????

Sorry Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2005, 09:52 AM
. . . You plaintively pleaded for serious suggestions, so I made one--and THIS is the thanks I get! :no: :butt: :no: :butt:

How ‘bout a little SERIOUS feedback on my suggestion??? . . . ;) :rolleyes:

BBDave

Serotta PETE
01-09-2005, 03:51 PM
I vote for a Keno NJ Open House and a Serotta Open House the same weekend period.

I can also stop and visit Fldyhest and Smiley in DC - - - what a time that will be !!!

SPOKES will come if there is a party and women. Besides he is the DSD for he does not drink. This leaves more Sierra for me and Keno and more red for Flydhest and me

Len J
01-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I vote for a Keno NJ Open House and a Serotta Open House the same weekend period.

I can also stop and visit Fldyhest and Smiley in DC - - - what a time that will be !!!

SPOKES will come if there is a party and women. Besides he is the DSD for he does not drink. This leaves more Sierra for me and Keno and more red for Flydhest and me

With that group, count me in......and willhave two DSD's.
Where & wen, where & when.

Len

csb
01-09-2005, 03:59 PM
the shovel and hip boots you bring to the serotta open house
will come in handy @ kenos

dirtdigger88
01-09-2005, 04:32 PM
With my vast experience- I have found that these work the best- Let me know if we need a case or more

Jason

Serotta PETE
01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, they will come in handy. Keno will put us to work in the stables....there is only so much s--t that can fly.

:beer: