PDA

View Full Version : question about rentals

Nathanrtaylor
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm headed down to Austin next week for business, and I'm thinking about renting a bike to keep me occupied after work.

Question is, do I rent the inexpensive (per day) Specialized Roubaix, or drop a bit more and rent a new Serotta HSG?

Pete Serotta
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Both are good rides.......If you have never ridden either, and they are both same size and specs..flip a coin and go riding with the winner,,,, :)

Blue Jays
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
If you're considering either model for purchase in the future, ride the appropriate rental as a "road test" to see how you like it.

Nathanrtaylor
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I think I have to know what high-end Serotta Carbon is all about.

decision made.

Pete Serotta
06-11-2009, 05:16 PM
:banana: :banana: give us a ride report when you get back.

Thanks for giving us a try.!!! :beer:

dogdriver
06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
FWIW, I rent 10-12 times a year and look at it this way-- Usually, I'm looking to get out for some exercise and sightseeing and will gladly take anything that rolls and will hold together for 3-4 hours. Rarely, I have both the opportunity to "demo" (read-- rent a really nice bike) and the time and location to do a memorable ride. Even if the demo is $50.00 more than the basic rental, I can cost that out to $10.00/hour more for the good bike (Plus, since I've spent more for the bike, I feel obligated to do a longer ride.). This is far less than how much I would have spent in the bar I'd be sitting in if I wasn't on a bike ride. Ergo, I have actually SAVED money going for the pricey ride and have avoided the numerous threats associated with spending an afternoon drinking beer, eating too much, and watching TV.

The conclusion-- go for the Serotta-- your liver will thank you.

My $.02, Chris

MattTuck
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I was in Austin a few weeks ago for a wedding.

Not sure if you're looking for other stuff to do. I'd check out "Home Slice Pizza", it was very good. And also, if you like movies, check out the Alamo draft house... they serve you food while you watch the film.

For what it's worth, Austin was HOT AND DRY.... Not sure where you normally ride, but if you're doing something longer than 30-40 minutes in that kind of heat, I might bring a camelback with you... just stay well hydrated.

I would rent the Serotta... but that's just me.

Nathanrtaylor
06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
I had all but decided to demo the HSG when I posted the first time. I'll have it for 3 whole days, and I can't imagine how I'll stay focused at work during that time.

Co-workers will do everything they can to make sure I leave needing a liver transplant. Such is the way of business travel to the main office.

I have a couple of good rides set up with some locals, I'll definitely post a ride report. Especially if we have some time to make it into the hillier country near Lake Travis. It will be very interesting to compare the HSG to my CDA.

Louis
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Are you taking your own saddle and pedals? Just wondering how folks usually do this.

Nathanrtaylor
06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I had planned to, but the shop I'm renting from has the same pedals and saddle that I normally use available for the rental, so no need.

I'm taking helmet, shoes, bottles, bibs, and jersey.

Louis
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm taking helmet, shoes, bottles

It's amazing how much space stuff like this takes up when you have to travel with it. On the bike you take it all for granted, but when you have to find space in your carry-on you realize that it's time to reach for the suitcase.

Have fun. Take more than one riding outfit so you don't have to do the laundry in the hotel sink...

csm
06-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I'd probably buy bottles from the shop I was renting. kinda cool to have bottles from different shops. sorta like collecting golfballs from different courses 'cept it's harder to lose them.

Nathanrtaylor
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I'd probably buy bottles from the shop I was renting. kinda cool to have bottles from different shops. sorta like collecting golfballs from different courses 'cept it's harder to lose them.

Excellent idea. Don't discount my ability to lose water bottles. :)

csm
06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I know that feeling. I think they get swiped by my kids.